Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:16:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bond

Started by asids, December 28, 2017, 01:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjwilson

Nice to know that coronavirus will all be over by November.

The end of Coronavirus. But James Bond will return in Octofanny.

bgmnts

Goldfinger on ITV4. Bond proper high functioning alchie.

"Corona has been defeated, 007. Or has it?"

Ian Fleming's James Bond will Return in 'You Only Poo Blood'

Cardenio I

Quote from: bgmnts on March 05, 2020, 09:37:28 PM
Goldfinger on ITV4. Bond proper high functioning alchie.

On the Pussy Calories Flying Circus bit now - weird thing about sexy 60s femininity is that it was centred around pointy, triangular tits.

Blumf

So why is ol' Auric explaining his plan to these mobsters when he's only going to gas them all straight away anyway?

bgmnts

Quote from: Cardenio I on March 05, 2020, 10:19:46 PM
On the Pussy Calories Flying Circus bit now - weird thing about sexy 60s femininity is that it was centred around pointy, triangular tits.

Genuinely pissing myself at lots of it.

"What's that map doing there!?" had me going.

As did Bond's jail cell escape.

Cardenio I

Quote from: Blumf on March 05, 2020, 10:27:28 PM
So why is ol' Auric explaining his plan to these mobsters when he's only going to gas them all straight away anyway?
The old razzle dazzle, innit.

Goldfinger's meant to be a classic, and it is kinda great, but it's maybe the most dated of the lot if only because it is the origin and clumsiest executor of such tropes as "one inept guard" and "needless explanation of villain's plan".

Still, love that bit where Bond baffles his one inept guard by doing the old "miming going down in a lift" through the cell door.

Cardenio I

Turned it on half way through so I can't remember/work out if there's a reason why he hasn't just offed Bond yet or if this is another example of the film's ur-bond daftness.

Blumf

weird thing about sexy 60s femininity is that it was centred around pointy, triangular tits.

It's was the 60s, they could only render low poly count tits back then.

Cardenio I

Quote from: bgmnts on March 05, 2020, 10:33:01 PM
As did Bond's jail cell escape.

Hadn't seen your reply when I was writing mine, but yeah I could talk about this endlessly. The germ of 8 increasingly ridiculous Moore outings right there.

So if I recall this rightly, all the army are just pretending to be passed out from Pussy Gas... Why???

Cardenio I

God I love the 60s. Something monstrous and incredible and all consuming was born there that started dying in '71 and is only just entirely dead now. We will remember them.

Blumf

Quote from: Cardenio I on March 05, 2020, 10:56:28 PM
So if I recall this rightly, all the army are just pretending to be passed out from Pussy Gas... Why???

She phoned ahead, and they obliged.

non capisco

I like that bit in Goldfinger when Bond says "My dear girl, there are some things that just aren't done, such as drinking Dom Perignon '53 above the temperature of 38 degrees Fahrenheit. That's just as bad as listening to the Beatles without earmuffs!" Bear in mind, this is 1964. Hard Day's Night era Beatles. He's not even going on about Revolution 9 or something. He's heard 'If I Fell' and gone "That'scchh too abrasschhive for me." You massive square fanny, 007. The theme music from 'Cheggers Plays Pop' would sound like alien attack sounds beamed in from another hostile dimension to him. Goldfinger should have strapped him to that table and just left a Freddie and The Dreamers album playing near his bollocks.

There's an outtake from the beginning of Goldfinger where Bond takes Sylvia Trench dancing and gets the bandleader to play "How Much Is That Doggie In The Window?" which is the most extreme music that he can handle.

Cardenio I

Quote from: non capisco on March 05, 2020, 11:00:10 PM
I like that bit in Goldfinger when Bond says "My dear girl, there are some things that just aren't done, such as drinking Dom Perignon '53 above the temperature of 38 degrees Fahrenheit. That's just as bad as listening to the Beatles without earmuffs!" Bear in mind, this is 1964. Hard Day's Night era Beatles. He's not even going on about Revolution 9 or something. He's heard 'If I Fell' and gone "That'scchh too abrasschhive for me." You massive square fanny, 007. The theme music from 'Cheggers Plays Pop' would sound like alien attack sounds beamed in from another hostile dimension to him. Goldfinger should have strapped him to that table and just left a Freddie and The Dreamers album playing.

In a deleted scene of OHMSS it's actually shown that the sonic impact of "Strawberry Fields Forever" melted Connery's face into the Lazenby edition. "This never happened to the other fella" indeed!!!

Odd-job getting roasted like the little piggy he is just now. If only the army had defended Fort Knox rather than pretending to be asleep for no apparent reason we wouldn't be in this very tense climactic situation.

Cardenio I

Another thing I love about Bond - the diegetically unjustified set ups for kiss-off lines

"You okay James, what happened to your Butler friend?"

"You mean the squat cunt with the sharp hat who we both know was Goldfingers henchman? Him? You want to know what happened to him, "my butler friend" who was neither of those things, right at my moment of triumph foiling this dastardly attempt on the largest gold repository in the world?"

"Yes"

"He blew a fuse"

"... Ah, right, can you be a bit more literal?"

Blumf

"What happened to your Butler friend?"

"Killed him, durr!"

non capisco

That bit in OHMSS when one of Blofeld's henchmen somehow manages to ski into some kind of snow thresher and all blood's coming out of the funnel then Bond says "He had lots of guts" is the best one.

bgmnts

Quote from: Cardenio I on March 05, 2020, 10:58:57 PM
God I love the 60s. Something monstrous and incredible and all consuming was born there that started dying in '71 and is only just entirely dead now. We will remember them.

That fucking ending mind. Almost wet myself.

"Drinks for 3". Definite pisshead.

There was also a bit just after he gets caught with that woman at Goldfingers factory and he cadually rams a poor goon head first into a car. Crying.

buzby

That was right at the tail (nipple?) end of the 'bullet bra' era, which was the default look for Hollywood starlets in the 1950s (and can probably be traced back to the underwired 'cantilever bra' designed by Howard Hughes for Jayne Russell to wear in the 1943 film The Outlaw). By the mid-60s the 'natural look' was coming back in fashion.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Cardenio I on March 05, 2020, 10:36:42 PM
Turned it on half way through so I can't remember/work out if there's a reason why he hasn't just offed Bond yet or if this is another example of the film's ur-bond daftness.

If Goldfinger kills him, MI6 will send someone else who'll be free and at large. If Goldfinger just keeps him captive, MI6 won't bother. The key is in the laser-up-the-jaffas scene, where Bond bluffs that his replacement will know all about Operation Grand Slam, even though he's only just overheard the phrase and doesn't know what it means. Rather than risk a fully informed agent on the loose, Goldfinger decides to keep Bond as his "guest", assuming that MI6 will think he's operating on the inside.

In the book, it isn't a laser - it's a buzzsaw. So rather than having his nuts neatly bifurcated by hot light, they'll be fucking SHREDDED.

Quote from: Cardenio I on March 05, 2020, 10:58:57 PM

"That, I think, was the handle — that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting — on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave... So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes, you can almost see the high-water mark — that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back."
Hunter S Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1971)

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: buzby on March 06, 2020, 09:57:34 AM
That was right at the tail (nipple?) end of the 'bullet bra' era, which was the default look for Hollywood starlets in the 1950s (and can probably be traced back to the underwired 'cantilever bra' designed by Howard Hughes for Jayne Russell to wear in the 1943 film The Outlaw). By the mid-60s the 'natural look' was coming back in fashion.

A lot of it was just the random vagaries of fashion, but it definitely fitted in with the style for narrow waists and big boobs, by pushing the boobs forwards as much as possible: particularly seen from the side with a cinched waist it gives a very striking silhouette. It makes your boobs look bigger, in other words. Plus improving bra technology (remember the bra was only really a thing from the late 19th century and initially was associated with practical/utilitarian dressing and the dress reform movement), a reaction to the flat-chested styles of the 1920s to 40s (the boyish look of the 20s and the utilitarian styles of World War Two when big boobs would get caught in machinery), and possibly a wider cultural interest in points and curves seen in Cadillac fins, Googie design, The Jetsons.

gilbertharding

The blulbous, pointed chrome-plated objects on the front of this car (and many others from the era) were commonly named after a specific female actor:

Blumf

Ant Farm Keyboard

In the late eighties or early nineties, Terence Young was interviewed by some French paper, and at this point, he wasn't much concerned anymore about sticking with EON's official line.
His issue with the film version of Goldfinger (apparently, he didn't shoot this one because of a pay dispute) was that Bond was a prisoner for too much of the story and was just a passive witness of many events. He also thought that Diana Rigg was miscast in OHMSS and that they should have hired Brigitte Bardot or Catherine Deneuve instead.

idunnosomename

Quote from: non capisco on March 05, 2020, 11:00:10 PM
I like that bit in Goldfinger when Bond says "My dear girl, there are some things that just aren't done, such as drinking Dom Perignon '53 above the temperature of 38 degrees Fahrenheit. That's just as bad as listening to the Beatles without earmuffs!" Bear in mind, this is 1964. Hard Day's Night era Beatles. He's not even going on about Revolution 9 or something. He's heard 'If I Fell' and gone "That'scchh too abrasschhive for me." You massive square fanny, 007. The theme music from 'Cheggers Plays Pop' would sound like alien attack sounds beamed in from another hostile dimension to him. Goldfinger should have strapped him to that table and just left a Freddie and The Dreamers album playing near his bollocks.

There's an outtake from the beginning of Goldfinger where Bond takes Sylvia Trench dancing and gets the bandleader to play "How Much Is That Doggie In The Window?" which is the most extreme music that he can handle.
everything bond does is just because he wants a shag. nothing else

bgmnts

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 06, 2020, 09:30:05 PM

Or a drink.

machotrouts

Quote from: bgmnts on March 05, 2020, 10:33:01 PM
Genuinely pissing myself at lots of it.

"What's that map doing there!?" had me going.

I find the fractious mobsters really adorable. What's with that trick pool table!? Turn those lights back on!! What's that map doing there?? Hey!! What's going on here!? What is this, a merry-go-round!?

non capisco

Thankyou for putting me straight about the behavioural motivations of James Bond.

gilbertharding

Or scrambled eggs.