Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:29:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Marvel comics generating tool

Started by Fambo Number Mive, December 29, 2017, 04:38:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Would you use this to create a comic, given that

Quoteany stories made using the tool will immediately belong to Marvel, with no payment or credit due to the creator, with the studio able to adapt, exhibit or redistribute the work "in all languages, anywhere in the world".

The terms and conditions of the tool also stipulate what cannot be included in the comics. Death and guns are not allowed. Swearing is also banned, as is the time-honoured comic book device of substituting symbols for swear words.

"Suggestive or revealing images," including "bare midriffs", are not allowed, nor are double entendres and "noises related to bodily functions".

"Prescription drugs or over-the-counter medication, vitamins and dietary supplements" are also forbidden, as is contraception. More abstractly, "sensationalism" is banned, for which a few examples are offered: killer bees, aliens, gossip and scandal.

If sensationalism is banned doesn't that mean that quite a lot comic book storylines would be banned. I've signed up for more info.

bgmnts

What is this?

No bare midriffs or death or guns? In a comic book?

What the fuck is this? Clarify this please, I am going insane.

Chriddof

I dunno why there's no link in the OP, but here's a Guardian article from earlier today talking about it.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/dec/29/marvel-create-you-own-tool-guns-drugs-alternative-lifestyles

It seems that whatever it is, it's not been released yet, and it's only been announced. But the bewildering list of things that you can't do with it has sent the comic book side of Twitter into full piss-take mode. It seems that Marvel have even forbid anyone from writing about LGBTQ stuff using whatever this tool is, albeit in the most vague way possible:

QuoteOthers were concerned by other topics deemed to be "controversial", such as politics – defined as including "lobbyists, PAC sites, political campaigns and alternative lifestyle advocacies" – and "social issues".

Phil_A

How can you make a superhero comic without any punching? What are they supposed to do, stand around mildly rebuking each other?

Chriddof

I sort of get the feeling that this legal contract was written up by a Disney lawyer who had no idea of the content of Marvel comic books, or comic books in general, or all entertainment since the 1960s. The bare midriff thing is amazing, as is the banning of aliens, like they're worried someone might offend the characters in District 9.

Dr Rock

Seems like some sort of app where you don't actually draw anything, you use a few templated characters and backgrounds, which you can pose a bit, and then make a little story with your own words and choice of the sizes of the frames etc. They aren't going to be published/put on the internet (I don't think, doesn't say they will be in any way) or anything, and they don't want people 'misusing' it to make them too violent, or sweary or about anyone wanting to bum someone, as many would probably do, and find a way to share, so they've put down strict rules that all you can really do is a version of Spider-Man being attacked by Dr Doom, and they exchange some banter you've written - but they can't say 'Donald Trump sent me here to fart in your face , Spider-Twat!' which would be the only fun way of using it. I think it's just a 'fun' thing aimed at kids (aged over 12 for some reason), some will probably play with it for about ten minutes before getting bored, others might really like it.

Here's a link to what it looks like
https://www.newsarama.com/37981-marvel-launches-create-your-own-comics-platform.html

Dr Rock

Maybe you can draw in a few things necessary for your story, like a cat, but are monsters allowed? Possibly not if they might frighten children (one of the rules). I bet they've banned aliens because people would draw aliens that look like cocks and fannies.

Phil_A

Quote from: Chriddof on December 29, 2017, 10:24:53 PM
I sort of get the feeling that this legal contract was written up by a Disney lawyer who had no idea of the content of Marvel comic books, or comic books in general, or all entertainment since the 1960s. The bare midriff thing is amazing, as is the banning of aliens, like they're worried someone might offend the characters in District 9.

It's even more restrictive than the Comics Code authority guidelines from 1954!

Crimes shall never be presented in such a way as to create sympathy for the criminal, to promote distrust of the forces of law and justice, or to inspire others with a desire to imitate criminals.
If crime is depicted it shall be as a sordid and unpleasant activity.
Policemen, judges, government officials, and respected institutions shall never be presented in such a way as to create disrespect for established authority.
Criminals shall not be presented so as to be rendered glamorous or to occupy a position which creates a desire for emulation.
In every instance good shall triumph over evil and the criminal punished for his misdeeds.
Scenes of excessive violence shall be prohibited. Scenes of brutal torture, excessive and unnecessary knife and gunplay, physical agony, gory and gruesome crime shall be eliminated.
No comic magazine shall use the words "horror" or "terror" in its title.
All scenes of horror, excessive bloodshed, gory or gruesome crimes, depravity, lust, sadism, masochism shall not be permitted.
All lurid, unsavory, gruesome illustrations shall be eliminated.
Inclusion of stories dealing with evil shall be used or shall be published only where the intent is to illustrate a moral issue and in no case shall evil be presented alluringly, nor so as to injure the sensibilities of the reader.
Scenes dealing with, or instruments associated with walking dead, torture, vampires and vampirism, ghouls, cannibalism, and werewolfism are prohibited.
Profanity, obscenity, smut, vulgarity, or words or symbols which have acquired undesirable meanings are forbidden.
Nudity in any form is prohibited, as is indecent or undue exposure.
Suggestive and salacious illustration or suggestive posture is unacceptable.
Females shall be drawn realistically without exaggeration of any physical qualities.
Illicit sex relations are neither to be hinted at nor portrayed. Rape scenes as well as sexual abnormalities are unacceptable.
Seduction and rape shall never be shown or suggested.
Sex perversion or any inference to same is strictly forbidden.
Nudity with meretricious purpose and salacious postures shall not be permitted in the advertising of any product; clothed figures shall never be presented in such a way as to be offensive or contrary to good taste or morals.

Nothing about killer bees in there that I can see.