Author Topic: Last tune you played 5 times in a row  (Read 19882 times)

daf

• Is this for posh knob 'eads?
Re: Last tune you played 5 times in a row
« Reply #330 on: February 07, 2019, 12:25:00 PM »
No Chwil-gaib really is drunk as a pickaxe - honest!

pronounced:
ch - as in Loch Ness
wil - as in Wagonwheel
ga - as in Radio 'ga ga'
ib - as in Auntie Beeb

(The gaib is normally 'caib' - but since the word 'pickaxe' is female in Welsh, the treiglo modifies the first letter into a softer 'g')

- - - - - - - - -
(edited the original post - as I think I got it slightly wrong - a close reading of the text seems to indicate that it's more 'Drunkenly Lusting', rather than 'drunk with lust')
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 12:44:24 PM by daf »

Cuellar

• Push off my wire
« Reply #331 on: February 07, 2019, 12:27:18 PM »
OK ok, I believe you.

To contribute: White Fur by Dear Nora

Bloody love that guitar sound.

PowerButchi

• The Bronzed Adrian Adonis
« Reply #332 on: February 07, 2019, 02:31:31 PM »
Zip Code Rapists - Happy Like Larry (He Taught Me How To Die)

billyandthecloneasaurus

• LIVING ROOMS, bedrooms, dinettes, OH yeah!
« Reply #333 on: February 07, 2019, 06:27:56 PM »
Ah Daf you're my absolute hero.  Thanks so much for the lyrics and general info.  I just assumed they'd be quite dense and interesting lyrics cus it just has that vibe, so I'm glad the reality matches up.  Whatever happened to them, just lost to obscurity? 

daf

• Is this for posh knob 'eads?
« Reply #334 on: February 07, 2019, 10:19:27 PM »
Ah Daf you're my absolute hero.

Aw, shucks!
~(does bashful Oliver Hardy finger-tip & toe twiddle)~

Whatever happened to them, just lost to obscurity?

They pretty much got to the top of the Welsh pop tree at roughly the same time as Y Cyrff and Ffa Coffi Pawb - late 80's. Sessions on Radio Cymru, playing the Eisteddfod's Rock Tent, Fideo 9 appearances (think : Welsh Tube)

By the early 90s there was a 'zeitgeist' momentum towards actually having a crack at the big time - this meant singing in English - as although John Peel played Welsh language stuff on Radio 1 (mainly Datblygu, Anrhefn & Llwybr Llaethog), nobody else was.

So briefly, with some line up changes and 'free transfers', Ffa Coffi Pawb mutated into Super Furry Animals, Y Cyrff into Catatonia, and in the middle of this Gorkys Zygotic Mynci emerged as a fully formed bilingual unit from the start, and hit paydirt!

The bands that stuck to Welsh (for personal or political reasons) inevitably stayed in Wales - eg. Anrhefn, Datblygu, Ail Gyfnod & Ty Gwydr

Jess (who started off a knock-off U2/Alarm & probably THE top band at the time) gave it a go in 1993 - but were oddly very awkward sounding - calling their english ep 'Sextravaganja'(!) didn't help, and they pretty much instantly split up in a hot flush of embarrasment!

Interestingly, much later in 1997 - at the tail end of Britpop - Owen & Chris, the drummer and guitarist from Jess - did manage to crack it with their band Cartoon - with Fade Away getting  the first single of the week on the first week of Mark & Lard's heroically disastrous stint on the Radio 1 breakfast show.
They were also championed by the sadly late top bloke DJ Kevin Greening, but unfortunately, they just didn't manage to get anywhere - (probably not helped by the impossible to google name!) - and split up after a few AMAZING ep's.
Here's a youtube page of 17 Cartoon tunes - their entire (small but perfectly formed) output.  I LOVE this band!

- - - - -

So where are Tynal Tywyll in all this, you ask? . . .

Well, they stuck to singing in Welsh * - plus, the singer (Ian) had a very good job down in London at the time - which regularly took him away from the rest of the band, and so, by the end of the 90s, they just kind of drifted apart & the band petered out. I think they do sometimes get back together, but just playing for fun I think . . .  which is nice.

- - - edit:
Ooh - you luck's in - just found this : loads of Tynal Tywyll info here - fill your boots!

- - - - -
* Oh no they didn't! - according to that page, they DID have a go in English -
Though there’s still a piece of the story that I haven’t mentioned. Tynal Tywyll singing in English. They were called The Collectors and perhaps that should be another blog post. But at least let’s mention that they released two CDs  the 1993/4  “Astronaut Girl”  and the “Desolation Angels”, both on Citizen Records.

And here's the evidence : The Collectors - WHAT HAVE WE GOT TO LOSE? (1993)

- - -
Right, that's enough tinkering - going to bed now!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 11:32:19 PM by daf »