Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:50:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I just shoplifted from Tesco. Is that wrong?

Started by Dr Rock, December 31, 2017, 12:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

THE SANCTITY OF THE POLL!

Harpo
8 (19%)
Groucho
4 (9.5%)
Chico
9 (21.4%)
Zeppo
13 (31%)
Gummo
3 (7.1%)
Corbo
1 (2.4%)
An tSaoi
4 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Dr Rock

I'd had several occasions where my big bag was accidentally passing through the checkout with an item that had gone behind it, out of sight. I naturally went 'oops, nearly got away with stealing this' and paid for the item (strawberries or coffee, that sort of thing).

But it occurred to me that this would work if you intentionally wanted to shoplift. There's no security tag on most of their items, unless they are really expensive, or booze. So I planned that the next time I went, I might have a go. Plausible deniability was built in I thought, they would see the bag had covered the item. What's the worst that could happen? I doubted that they would call the police, and I especially thought it's very unlikely that I'd be caught anyway.

So I went to Tesco's today, and as coincidence would have it, the torch I'd bought from them about a year ago had just broken, so that was the item I decided to thieve. Worth ten pounds. Got away with it. Will probably continue to do this. It does save a bit of money, but it also makes the shopping much more exciting. But is it immoral to deprive Mr Tescoes of his tenner? Thoughts or confessions please.

Icehaven

I have in the past put vegetables through as cheaper ones on self service machine scales.   

Shay Chaise

I wouldn't do it. You've got far too much to lose and they always prosecute, from what I hear.

Twit 2

I'm always nicking stuff from Waitrose as they are stupid enough to trust me with their self-scan. The thieving is built into their business model: https://youtu.be/XEL65gywwHQ

Torch from Tesco? You haven't lived until you've walked out with outrageously priced luxury items. Hide in plain sight, mate, it's what all the most successful sociopaths wealth redistributors do.

I would never steal from a small business or an individual but if you are a company making supernormal profits then you can get to fuck, and I'll have those marinated artichokes, ta.

Cerys

It's theft, so yes - it's wrong.  However, whether or not you give a damn depends on your personal moral code.  Enjoy!

pancreas

I never steal from waitrose, so do it there if you want it to feel like stealing from me.

Glebe

It's not as bad a shoplifting from Poundland, let's put it that way!

[tag]Morrissey leaves thread nodding approvingly (before going off to say something offensive)[/tag]

Super Markets work on much slimmer margins than one would think, and theft can really hurt the probability of the store. Damaging chances of things like refits and staffing levels. Staffing levels are always the first thing to get money scraped from it. Also many employees spend more time at there store than they do at there home, almost regarding it as a second home. So stuff like a constant fear of shop lifters can happen, making people very scared and paranoid. You might not think your shop lifting is not hurting anyone, but the cumulative toll of people doing it does.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Shay Chaise on December 31, 2017, 12:06:30 PM
I wouldn't do it. You've got far too much to lose and they always prosecute, from what I hear.

And I'd probably get a caution, worst case scenario. Then I'd stop. What have I lost? I don't care if there's a caution on my record, I can't see it having any impact on my life at all. Antony Worrall Thompson got caught shoplifting from Tesco SIX times, and only got a caution.

I don't think Tesco can say 'we always prosecute' because that's a decision for the police and CPS. Anyway, that relatively minor risk is all part of the fun.

Replies From View

I started a thread a while back regarding the Sainsbury's self-checkout "Unexpected item in the baggage area" glitch.  The machine prevents you from scanning anything else until you've removed something - an unscanned item, it reckons - from the bagging area, but when you remove the item you've recently added it says "Item removed from bagging area.  Please replace this item before continuing." 

You can go back and forth for a while with this nonsense (the two calmly-bellowed alternating instructions to remove and replace as you do the dance of taking an item in and out of the bagging area) and a member of staff will come in and approve whatever it is you've done (because they are jaded and this happens all the time).  And at that point, I propose, you're free of any crime you may have deliberately slipped in along the way.  It becomes a legally approved theft, if you will.

Quote from: Dr Rock on December 31, 2017, 12:21:23 PM
And I'd probably get a caution, worst case scenario. Then I'd stop. What have I lost? I don't care if there's a caution on my record, I can't see it having any impact on my life at all. Antony Worrall Thompson got caught shoplifting from Tesco SIX times, and only got a caution.

I don't think Tesco can say 'we always prosecute' because that's a decision for the police and CPS. Anyway, that relatively minor risk is all part of the fun.
First offence is an on the spot fine of £80.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

We know that no matter how much money Tesco makes, they have never invested the profits in the pay and conditions of their workers.

They are the most successful and profitable supermarket chain in the UK, and yet lied about what they would do with their gains. On that level, fuck them.

Take food and essentials though, stealing consumer items is a bit pathetic behaviour from an adult.

Shay Chaise

I'm not moralising, just giving some simple advice based on experience. I know someone who had to leave their job after a similarly petty offence. If you're not bothered or it won't affect you in any way, according to your current expectations, I don't know why you really started the thread, except out of excitement.

Also, you're the reason why some people can't afford to eat.

Bhazor

Today you're stealing torches tomorrow you're murder fucking babies. Slippy slope mate.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on December 31, 2017, 12:20:48 PM
Super Markets work on much slimmer margins than one would think, and theft can really hurt the probability of the store. Damaging chances of things like refits and staffing levels. Staffing levels are always the first thing to get money scraped from it.

Tesco is the most successful retailer in the UK with an annual turnover of £54m. My ten pounds won't make an ounce of difference to them. I wouldn't steal from a smaller type of shop.

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on December 31, 2017, 12:20:48 PM
Also many employees spend more time at there store than they do at there home, almost regarding it as a second home. So stuff like a constant fear of shop lifters can happen, making people very scared and paranoid.

Is this supposed to be serious or a joke? It's hard to tell on the internet sometimes.

The other thing to watch for is have ago Heroes beating the fuck out of you, whether it be security, staff or random's on the street.

Quote from: Dr Rock on December 31, 2017, 12:29:43 PM
Tesco is the most successful retailer in the UK with an annual turnover of £54m. My ten pounds won't make an ounce of difference to them. I wouldn't steal from a smaller type of shop.

Is this supposed to be serious or a joke? It's hard to tell on the internet sometimes.
I'm the manager of a shop.

Replies From View

Quote from: Dr Rock on December 31, 2017, 12:01:05 PM
I'd had several occasions where my big bag was accidentally passing through the checkout with an item that had gone behind it, out of sight. I naturally went 'oops, nearly got away with stealing this' and paid for the item (strawberries or coffee, that sort of thing).

Could you explain what you mean by this, please?  When you scan something it requires you to add it to the weighing scale with your other shopping to let you continue.  If you don't scan something, its appearance on the weighing scale will trigger a response that it hasn't been scanned. 

So what does an item going "out of sight" entail?

Dr Rock

Danger Man

I worked in a supermarket for a while and we'd sometimes catch people shoplifting who didn't need to do it.

'cry for help' in most cases.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Replies From View on December 31, 2017, 12:32:33 PM
Could you explain what you mean by this, please?  When you scan something it requires you to add it to the weighing scale with your other shopping to let you continue.  If you don't scan something, its appearance on the weighing scale will trigger a response that it hasn't been scanned. 

I never use the self-scan checkout.

The item is out of sight because it is behind my big bag for life, which is hooked over the back of the trolley (but inside), which conceals it.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Replies From View on December 31, 2017, 12:32:33 PM

He leaves it in the trolley and then pretends he didn't see it.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Dr Rock on December 31, 2017, 12:01:05 PM
What's the worst that could happen?

They'll put their copies of the Daily Mail back in prime position, and it'll have the headline 'SHOPLIFTERS: HANGING'S TOO GOOD FOR THEM'. Forever.

Shay Chaise

I saw a couple of plain clothes security tackle a guy to the ground at Sainsbury's two weeks ago. The guy was bullshitting still on the floor and he started crying. Made me think of you.

biggytitbo

If there's a glitch with the machine and you accidentally end up with something you haven't paid for then who cares but to deliberately go in there intending to steal something is the behaviour of a baby man.

Replies From View

I've had a great thing before (maybe twice or three times in the past) where an item has 'beeped' through the scanner, but it hasn't appeared on the screen.  I've added it to my shopping, and its presence hasn't triggered anything, and then I've continued with the rest of my items.

The first time this happened, I was fully unaware of it until I realised I was paying something like £4 for what should have been more like £8 of shopping.  At this point I realised, and deduced that it was fair game.  It's happened at least once since then, and on those occasions I've noticed as I was doing it that it had 'beeped' without appearing on the screen, and I was aware that I wouldn't be paying as I added it to my shopping without it triggering the "unscanned item" message.

Wonderful stuff.

Quote from: icehaven on December 31, 2017, 12:04:23 PM
I have in the past put vegetables through as cheaper ones on self service machine scales.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on December 31, 2017, 12:34:06 PM
I know this as I have reported numerous Shotlifters to the Police

You should know it's shotputters if you're the manager of a sports store. Gotta give them credit for ambition, though.

gatchamandave

The Tesco in my home town of Kirkcaldy was a vibrant, successful and central part of the town centre until they moved the DHSS opposite it, and five years later it had been shoplifted to oblivion, shutting down and taking much of the shops in proximity with it. Mind you, our junkies are so pathetic two of them were caught shoplifting from the British Heart Foundation a couple of months ago.