Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:13:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I just shoplifted from Tesco. Is that wrong?

Started by Dr Rock, December 31, 2017, 12:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

THE SANCTITY OF THE POLL!

Harpo
8 (19%)
Groucho
4 (9.5%)
Chico
9 (21.4%)
Zeppo
13 (31%)
Gummo
3 (7.1%)
Corbo
1 (2.4%)
An tSaoi
4 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on December 31, 2017, 04:00:39 PM
I did tell you that supermarkets run on thinner margins than you would believe, and theft really does have an impact. Admittedly the rent charges were  a big impact that made the running of the store tight and competition again has an impact, but theft was the last straw then turned the black to red on the accounts.

The margins are always going to be tight because Tesco's business model is based on that - stores run as leanly as possibe to help expansion and profit at the expense and toil of employees and third parties.

http://www.itv.com/news/2017-10-04/tesco-sees-leap-in-half-year-profits-as-supermarket-turnaround-continues/

£471 million operating profit over 6 months.

The margins in stores are tight to deliver these humongous profits extracted from ordinary people and the labour of their poverty wage, or even state subsidised employees,  and to increase corporate buying power and market share.

Quote from: Replies From View on December 31, 2017, 04:01:11 PM
Don't worry, I'm sure that the likes of Tesco will manage to keep a few shops open for the likes of anyone who wants to see what they're buying.  If they don't, we'll have local farm shops opening on the high street and fucking it all up.
Were in quite a radical time period for the High Street, lots of opportunity for the right model. I do think that local providers can offer a USP, so we might see the rise of independents again at some point. You can see the consolidation of Super markets with the amount that have been bought out or become Franchises for bigger Super markets. Quite similar to how media has been consolidated, examples such as Disney buying Lucas films, Marvel and Fox.

Replies From View

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on December 31, 2017, 04:00:39 PM
I did tell you that supermarkets run on thinner margins than you would believe

If the CEOs and whoever else at the top of the supermarket system can't solve this with their enormous bloated salaries and bonuses, then perhaps all supermarkets could shut down and stop fucking up the farming sector etc?

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on December 31, 2017, 04:06:04 PM
The margins are always going to be tight because Tesco's business model is based on that - stores run as leanly as possibe to help expansion and profit at the expense and toil of employees and third parties.

http://www.itv.com/news/2017-10-04/tesco-sees-leap-in-half-year-profits-as-supermarket-turnaround-continues/

£471 million operating profit over 6 months.

The margins in stores are tight to deliver these humongous profits extracted from ordinary people and the labour of their poverty wage, or even state subsidised employees,  and to increase corporate buying power and market share.
Did you not see the bit where they were talking about lowering there debt level, and restarting there dividend payout, meaning previously they had not been able to do so.

imitationleather

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on December 31, 2017, 04:05:14 PM
I don't use them, and if there's any good to come out of the ease with which you can use them to steal, it's that they may eventually get ditched in favour of keeping checkout staff employed.

Have you been in Post Offices where they've put in self-service checkouts? They're so complicated and prone to needing a member of staff to come over and punch in their code to confirm or reverse what you've done that the entire process is a lot longer than just using a till, and requires quite a few staff otherwise it's just one person running from till to till manically. Obviously working out how to use them is something a fresh young brain like a sponge such as mine can learn after a couple of goes but for a lot of people they are never going to be able to learn how to play the role of post office worker.

That said when I go to supermarkets I do use the self-service.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on December 31, 2017, 04:02:54 PM
Have fun beating a straw-man, now that you have lost your argument.

A straw man argument is one where I would bring something up that either isn't being discussed or being disagreed with. You literally just disagreed with me so I provided supporting evidence in response. And we are still discussing the other matters. Strange and poorly chosen time to be all triumphalist.

Quote from: Replies From View on December 31, 2017, 04:08:46 PM
If the CEOs and whoever else at the top of the supermarket system can't solve this with their enormous bloated salaries and bonuses, then perhaps all supermarkets could shut down and stop fucking up the farming sector etc?
At one point, before the Co op Banking Scandal. the Co-Op was the biggest farmer in Britain, but had to sell off a lot of the land to service there debts.

Replies From View

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on December 31, 2017, 04:06:44 PM
Were in quite a radical time period for the High Street, lots of opportunity for the right model.

I'm fairly sure a certain amount of established wealth is required to compete with companies that can easily cut their own prices.  "The right model" is basically "can fuck everything else over quite easily", which in my view is The Fucked Model.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on December 31, 2017, 04:09:53 PM
Did you not see the bit where they were talking about lowering there debt level, and restarting there dividend payout, meaning previously they had not been able to do so.

Yes I did. But as we both know, Tesco's record over long term has been phenomenally successful.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on December 31, 2017, 04:10:07 PM
A straw man argument is one where I would bring something up that either isn't being discussed or being disagreed with. You literally just disagreed with me so I provided supporting evidence in response. And we are still discussing the other matters. Strange and poorly chosen time to be all triumphalist.
Nah mate, you lost.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Dr Rock on December 31, 2017, 03:51:38 PMeven with a disabled badge. M&S has a car-park, but I can't afford to do all my shopping there.

Why does that matter, can't you just lift it?

Thanks for the reminder that you are disabled, did you pay that fine for illegal parking, by the way?

Dr Rock

Quote from: mr beepbap on December 31, 2017, 03:59:34 PM
Always love seeing some pathetic thieving cunt getting humiliated getting caught and paraded out the shop

Especially the ones who are doing it because otherwise they can't afford to eat or feed their family eh?

Quote from: Dr Rock on December 31, 2017, 04:15:21 PM
Especially the ones who are doing it because otherwise they can't afford to eat or feed their family eh?
That's because they live a failing life model, so deserve all they get.

bgmnts

Imagine if your shoplifting made it harder for such people lol

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: bgmnts on December 31, 2017, 04:04:30 PM
Nobody agrees with this more than me; I think what big businesses do transgresses every kind of morality there is, it's horrendous.

But to say petty thievery doesnt make any impact I disagree with.

It's jarring really.

I'm sorry it's jarring, but I'm not sure why you're being jarred, as that's not what I have stated, or believe.

I've said it's immoral, and on top of that I quite agree it's most likely annoying and time wasting for staff at the store. However, the impact on Tesco as a business, is quite evidently negligible or at the very least 'priced-in'. In order to support that argument I've tried to demonstrate why its the other aspects of how their business is run that dictates the poor pay and conditions of its employees.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

bgmnts

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on December 31, 2017, 04:16:51 PM
I'm sorry it's jarring, but I'm not sure why you're being jarred, as that's not what I have stated, or believe.

I've said it's immoral, and on top of that I quite agree it's most likely annoying and time wasting for staff at the store. However, the impact on Tesco as a business, is quite evidently negligible or at the very least 'priced-in'. In order to support that argument I've tried to demonstrate why its the other aspects of how their business is run that dictates the poor pay and conditions of its employees.

Your argument isn't jarring, having to choose between thievery and big business shenanigans is jarring.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on December 31, 2017, 04:18:44 PM
I think you may be looking for the child's section of the forum.
Now insults, thanks. Have you provided any evidence for any of your assertions of failing business models. Or it it just hear say evidence?

Dr Rock

Oh I just remembered - I gave a beggar a pound on the way home. So i'm like Robin Hood, except I steal from the rich and only give 10% of it to the poor.

ollyboro

I would hazard a guess that your average shoplifter can afford to eat, but chooses to spend their pennies elsewhere. Or they do it for kicks, or to sell on. The amount of people on the rob because that literally have no choice must be negligible.

thenoise

Quote from: Dr Rock on December 31, 2017, 03:55:15 PM
I'm not rich! I'm on benefits (because divorce where I had half a share in the business I now no longer have, and disability) while running a business that declared about four thousand pounds profits over each of the last two years.
Ok 'not poor' then.  How about the rest of what I wrote?

Replies From View

Quote from: Dr Rock on December 31, 2017, 04:20:41 PM
Oh I just remembered - I gave a beggar a pound on the way home. So i'm like Robin Hood, except I steal from the rich and only give 10% of it to the poor.

To be fair, the torch probably wasn't worth £10 even though that's the retail price.

Replies From View

Quote from: ollyboro on December 31, 2017, 04:21:03 PM
I would hazard a guess that your average shoplifter can afford to eat, but chooses to spend their pennies elsewhere. Or they do it for kicks, or to sell on. The amount of people on the rob because that literally have no choice must be negligible.

Alright, do that again but with some evidence rather than hazarding a guess.

shiftwork2

**INTERLUDE**

Just thought of this:

Missed out on your clubcard points! 

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha heh heh

Zinger

**THREAD CONTINUES**

Shoulders is correct.  Petty theft is at the very least priced into Tesco's business model.  A business model which is designed to benefit fat cats and share holders, not staff or the general public.

The OP nicking a torch from the evil giant isn't going to affect it's profits in any meaningful way, so i say crack on!  Tesco are a set of cunts.

We should be focusing on tax avoidance of big mega corps, which is done on an industrial scale and is immoral.

biggytitbo

Doesn't really matter who you stole from, you're basically stealing due to a sense of personal ennui and using trite moral arguments as a smokescreen. Sad.

Quote from: Replies From View on December 31, 2017, 04:24:58 PM
Alright, do that again but with some evidence rather than hazarding a guess.
Most shop lifters I've caught have been the prolific drug type shoplifter. I would say if you were stealing in small quantises, low value food items and not very often. You most likely wouldn't be noticed.

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on December 31, 2017, 04:27:08 PM
Doesn't really matter who you stole from, you're basically stealing due to a sense of personal ennui and using trite moral arguments as a smokescreen. Sad.

Well if it doesn't really matter then it is just funny.  Hurrah!

Of course it matters who you stole from.   The effect of staling a torch from a child will have a much greater effect then stealing from a large corporation. 

Replies From View

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on December 31, 2017, 04:27:35 PM
Most shop lifters I've caught have been the prolific drug type shoplifter.

And why were they doing that?