Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:31:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I just shoplifted from Tesco. Is that wrong?

Started by Dr Rock, December 31, 2017, 12:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

THE SANCTITY OF THE POLL!

Harpo
8 (19%)
Groucho
4 (9.5%)
Chico
9 (21.4%)
Zeppo
13 (31%)
Gummo
3 (7.1%)
Corbo
1 (2.4%)
An tSaoi
4 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 42

thenoise

If you want the thrill of theft without the unpleasant sensation of guilt, why not try stealing items to donate to your local food bank?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: gatchamandave on December 31, 2017, 12:41:44 PM
The Tesco in my home town of Kirkcaldy was a vibrant, successful and central part of the town centre

Bleak as fuck

Dr Rock

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on December 31, 2017, 12:34:06 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3970449.stm

Also I know this as I have reported numerous Shotlifters to the Police

Also https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/police-issued-penalty-notices

QuoteOffences where a penalty notice can be issued
Not will be issued.

It's not automatic, it's up the the police.

http://legalbeagles.info/forums/showthread.php?94945-caught-shoplifting-and-given-a-police-caution

QuoteHi everyone,

Was caught yesterday for shoplifting at Debenhams, was given a police caution and not to enter the shop again. I have not done anything like this before, I am 65 and worried that they might come to my home and then my husband will find out.

Yes they called the police, the store said it did not want to press charges for £15.00. I signed a letter regarding a caution and was sent on my way.

Also I know someone who got recently caught (couple of years ago) for shoplifting from M&S, they were just banned from M&S, no police, no fine. I suppose a ban could inconvenience me.

Really mate, stop justifying your Cunty behaviour.

Replies From View

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on December 31, 2017, 12:37:45 PM
He leaves it in the trolley and then pretends he didn't see it.

Ah, okay.  That's different then. 

I'm talking about the scanning and weighing threshold that all items have to pass through.  If items pass through that threshold without being recognised, there's an exciting ambiguity there.  And if a member of staff approves a weight discrepancy, then that's exciting too.

If you're talking about items not passing through that threshold then you're discussing something dull, as far as I'm concerned, and I shall be done with you and all your kin.

Icehaven

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on December 31, 2017, 12:20:48 PM
Super Markets work on much slimmer margins than one would think, and theft can really hurt the probability of the store. Damaging chances of things like refits and staffing levels. Staffing levels are always the first thing to get money scraped from it. Also many employees spend more time at there store than they do at there home, almost regarding it as a second home. So stuff like a constant fear of shop lifters can happen, making people very scared and paranoid. You might not think your shop lifting is not hurting anyone, but the cumulative toll of people doing it does.

Admittedly this is nearly 20 years ago so if things have changed then OK, but I had a holiday job in Safeways n the early 2000s, and we were routinely told to ignore habitual shoplifters that 'caused a fuss' when challenged, so the woman who had large joints of meat in the underneath bit of a pram, or the people who kicked large packets of bogroll or nappies across the floor while buying a pack of chewing gum got away with it every week simply by screaming getyourhandsoffmeyouassaultedme, lawsuits, howdareyou etc. and the shop managers just sucked it up. That's not to say other shoplifters weren't caught and dragged off, they were all the time, it's just the repercussions from the ones who would make a scene and threaten counter claims were feared far more than a bit of lost revenue, which was largely expected anyway.

Chalk it up.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Dr Rock

Quote from: thenoise on December 31, 2017, 12:42:35 PM
If you want the thrill of theft without the unpleasant sensation of guilt, why not try stealing items to donate to your local food bank?

I don't have any unpleasant feelings of guilt. And I want to keep the stuff.

Jockice

I was a very good shoplifter as a teenager. Mostly singles and books. But stopped as soon as I started work, apart from taking one magazine from WH Smiths the week after I started just to prove I could still do it.

My method was different to the usual one though. Most shoplifters would look so suspicious that they might as well have had signs saying: "LOOK AT ME. I'M STEALING THINGS,' on their heads, but I would literally just pick something up, wander round the shop making no effort to hide it and then walk out. I stood out anyway, so there was no point in me being surreptitious. My proudest moment was asking the store detective in Woolworths the time and then strolling out with....wait for it....Stand And Deliver by Adam And The Ants in my hand.

I did get stopped once (Debenhams: Is Vic There? By Department S) but somehow managed to talk my way out of it and as I hadn't actually left the premises they didn't prosecute, although they knew fine well what I was trying to do. About a year later I went in with my mum to get my first battery shaver and the assistant who served us was the one who had stopped me. Don't think she recognised me though, and if she did she never said anything. Don't think mum would have been too pleased if she'd known.

I stacked shelves in a supermarket for a while in the sixth form and did a certain amount of pilfering from there too. But then on my second night there they moved one of the fridges, found all these empty soft drink bottles behind it and tried to blame me. It would have been physically impossible for anyone to drink that much in as short a period but I decided if they were going to treat me like that I wasn't going to do them any favours. Highlights of that period include having to swallow a Creme Egg without biting it as the manager had just come round the corner, having a sachet of lemon sorbet powder burst down my kecks, so I left a yellow trail behind me and having a mate of mine set the alarm off while I was waiting at the door with a large bar of Dairy Milk down the front of my trousers.

But that was then and this is now. Like smoking and going to nightclubs, it's one of those things you should grow out of the older you get. Even the smallest shop has cameras nowadays anyway.

Danger Man

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on December 31, 2017, 12:44:43 PM
Really mate, stop justifying your Cunty behaviour.

He can't be a cunt because he doesn't vote tory. Do keep up.

djtrees

Icehaven

shiftwork2

Great news about the penalty notice for disorder.  So I can rinse Sainsburys for £99 worth of spirits this afternoon and the chances are I'll get an £80 fine if caught, no caution, no DBS fuckery.  Who wouldn't have a go?  And of course they could issue a caution but that's another bit of thrill-seeking excitement so I'm all for it.  I'm shoplifting to order - who wants what?

MikeShaft

Theft is theft - so you have to make the decision yourself whether you feel you can take the moral hit.
However, think on this. Who will ultimately pay for that loss? Will it be the billionaire owners, or will it be the zero-hour contractor who doesn't get a shift the next week?
The system is rigged. You can't even steel from the big boys anymore without them randomly punishing someone more like you.

imitationleather

Quote from: gatchamandave on December 31, 2017, 12:41:44 PM
The Tesco in my home town of Kirkcaldy was a vibrant, successful and central part of the town centre until they moved the DHSS opposite it, and five years later it had been shoplifted to oblivion, shutting down and taking much of the shops in proximity with it. Mind you, our junkies are so pathetic two of them were caught shoplifting from the British Heart Foundation a couple of months ago.

My girlfriend works in a Red Cross shop and the shoplifting is constant. The not-arsed staff make it a very easy target. I think also a lot of people go in and shoplift to fill the day, it's why they seem to get so many who go in to haggle endlessly or buy stuff and then return it over and over.

Jockice

Oh yeah, I did get accused of shoplifting from Sainsburys about 15 years ago, and informed I'd 'done it before.' I wasn't. I was wearing a cagoule with a pouch on the front, which I put my purchases in simply because using crutches makes it extremely hard to use a basket. I refused to leave the shop until the duty manager apologised to me and made an appointment to see the regional manager, who gave me a dozen bottles of beer. Should think so too.

thenoise

Quote from: Dr Rock on December 31, 2017, 12:46:09 PM
I don't have any unpleasant feelings of guilt. And I want to keep the stuff.
Wasn't aimed at you. I hope you get caught and prosecuted tomorrow.

Shay Chaise

If you enjoyed robbing something so cheap and meaningless, I wonder how you'd feel if you stole something really expensive.

Danger Man

Wait until somebody steals something off him .  Oh boy, we'll never hear the end of it.

Paul Calf

If you can afford it, you should pay for it. If you can do without it, you shouldn't buy it. If you are in genuine need and you steal food, clothes or toiletries because you can't afford them, I can understand that and will stand up in court to help you avoid prosecution.

I mean, the only reason I can afford to live in a house and eat is because most people pay me what they owe me for stuff I've done for them.

Steven

May I recommend a small British film called A Patch Of Fog which begins with an Irish academic who has a penchant for cheap thrills via shoplifting, it's a dark and twisted cautionary tale of what such retail thievery can lead to.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Dr Rock on December 31, 2017, 12:29:43 PM
Tesco is the most successful retailer in the UK with an annual turnover of £54m.

To anyone else who did a double take at that - he's basically missed three zeros off that.

thenoise

Quote from: Steven on December 31, 2017, 01:37:41 PM
May I recommend a small British film called A Patch Of Fog which begins with an Irish academic who has a penchant for cheap thrills via shoplifting, it's a dark and twisted cautionary tale of what such retail thievery can lead to.
Where can I download it for free?

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Paul Calf on December 31, 2017, 01:20:47 PM
If you can afford it, you should pay for it. If you can do without it, you shouldn't buy it. If you are in genuine need and you steal food, clothes or toiletries because you can't afford them, I can understand that and will stand up in court to help you avoid prosecution.

I mean, the only reason I can afford to live in a house and eat is because most people pay me what they owe me for stuff I've done for them.

That's pretty much my take too.

Cloud

The cost of what you nick comes from somewhere, and it's not the rich people who own Tesco.  The rich don't go "oh well less profit for us, never mind!" they just spend less and charge more to compensate.  "Cost of business" is just a fancy way of saying "why we have to put prices up and reduce the packs of ham by 20g".   Basically your theft makes things more expensive for everyone else.  It also undermines very useful systems like the self scanning, which rely on some degree of honesty to be worthwhile.  So yes it's wrong, cut it out.

(I agree with Paul Calf's exception.  We managed to get the stone hearted Tories in.  So if you can't afford to eat, I'm not going to judge you for stealing food)

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Danger Man on December 31, 2017, 01:16:19 PM
Wait until somebody steals something off him .  Oh boy, we'll never hear the end of it.

He wouldn't be the first verbwhore to start a thread looking for justifications for his bad behaviour, would he DM?

Dr Rock

Quote from: Shay Chaise on December 31, 2017, 01:12:23 PM
If you enjoyed robbing something so cheap and meaningless, I wonder how you'd feel if you stole something really expensive.

I've stolen a lot more expensive things in my teens, when I was a proper thieving cunt, and there was a bigger thrill and as I had no money I enjoyed having the expensive things, but I never stole from people or small shops, and stopped doing any thieving after my teens and haven't stolen or shoplifted anything since. Wait, I nicked some cheese from Sainsbury's on a whim about ten years ago. I don't feel bad about shoplifting from Tesco (or any massive chains), whether that's right or wrong.

Brundle-Fly

If you do get caught, even if you don't get banned from the store, you'll always get suspicious looks from staff and security for a long time after. Thieving is thieving. I take quite a dim view of it because my brother's company has had to deal with a parade of thieving bastards for over thirty odd years now.