13 (34.2%)
Gummo
3 (7.9%)
Corbo
1 (2.6%)
An tSaoi
1 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: I just shoplifted from Tesco. Is that wrong?  (Read 17302 times)

biggytitbo

• WHAT ABOUT THE GODDAM JAFFA CAKES ASSWIPE
    • theunredacted
Re: I just shoplifted from Tesco. Is that wrong?
« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2017, 02:30:30 PM »
'Wrong'  would be the answer to that. You don't get to decide what the law is depending on some arbitrary moral value judgments you make on a whim.

Isnt Anything

• can i haz barrel-roll now plz ?
« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2017, 02:30:51 PM »
unimpressed

Dr Rock

• The BEST of luck!
« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2017, 02:32:11 PM »
To anyone else who did a double take at that - he's basically missed three zeros off that.

https://www.retaileconomics.co.uk/top10-retailers.asp

Says sales of £54,433,000 there.

Angrew Lloyg Wegger

• can we lose the part
  • Golden Member
  • about the slow crushing of his skull?
    • instagram ponce
« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2017, 02:37:02 PM »
I once accidentally shoplifted from Sainsburys - well, I didn't really shoplift cause I went back and paid for it afterwards, but I just sort of absent-mindedly wandered out of the shop with my foods and wines having forgotten to pay for them. Christ knows why, given that I was still carrying the big bulky plastic shopping crates with them all in - I just got to halfway across the courtyard area and thought "shit, I haven't paid!" As it turned out, no-one even noticed, and when I went to find a staff member and explain myself incase it was on CCTV, he told me the security watching man was on his lunch break. So I say go for it mate

Dr Rock

• The BEST of luck!
« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2017, 02:42:31 PM »
Wait until somebody steals something off him .  Oh boy, we'll never hear the end of it.

People steal off me all the time, through my business, in various ways. I earn very little from my business, but I'm really not that bothered. I wish they wouldn't, but I can't stop it, so don't waste any time or energy thinking about it (unless I can stop them). This isn't meant to contrast with my stealing from Tesco in any way, it's just me telling you that you're wrong.

Replies From View

• Rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.
  • Golden Member
  • Gargoyles have milk bags.
« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2017, 02:47:14 PM »
He wouldn't be the first verbwhore to start a thread looking for justifications for his bad behaviour, would he DM?

He keeps trying to convince us that voting Tory isn't bad behaviour, I've noticed.

Dr Rock

• The BEST of luck!
« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2017, 02:48:07 PM »
'Wrong'  would be the answer to that. You don't get to decide what the law is depending on some arbitrary moral value judgments you make on a whim.

I am not deciding what the law is. I intentionally broke the law, while believing the law is correct that shoplifting is a crime. I don't think I've made any moral judgments other than a company as huge as Tesco is not going to feel the loss of a ten pound torch.

If I was asked 'is this wrong' I'd say 'yes it is wrong to steal, but if you stole a tenner off the Queen I couldn't give a monkeys. And likewise Mr Tesco.'

Replies From View

• Golden Member
« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2017, 02:49:06 PM »
https://www.retaileconomics.co.uk/top10-retailers.asp

Says sales of £54,433,000 there.

How many £10 torches do they need to sell to break even?

pancreas

• The islets of Langerhans are the very best islets
« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2017, 02:53:29 PM »
He wouldn't be the first verbwhore to start a thread looking for justifications for his bad behaviour, would he DM?

What did he do?

Twed

• What, prick? That's my child. My Johnson's child
« Reply #69 on: December 31, 2017, 02:55:21 PM »
fucked a wizard

pancreas

• The islets of Langerhans are the very best islets
« Reply #70 on: December 31, 2017, 02:56:39 PM »
fucked a wizard

Daniel Radcliffe? EWW!

spamwangler

• fay bentos
« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2017, 02:58:12 PM »
nearly got away with stealing this' and paid for the item (strawberries or coffee, that sort of thing).

lenny fucking biscuits over here

Janie Jones

• And you'll spit on my grave
« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2017, 02:58:34 PM »
...So stuff like a constant fear of shop lifters can happen, making people very scared and paranoid. You might not think your shop lifting is not hurting anyone, but the cumulative toll of people doing it does.
Yes, this is real. It pulls you down, makes you dread going into work. I've got friends in retail. Shoplifting losses aren't exactly taken out of their wages - I understand this does happen sometimes although I've only heard this anecdotally- but the losses can affect their bonus which they rely on to make their salary anything like a living wage.

One of my friends got a written warning from his employer, when CCTV showed a shoplifter removing a security tag and taking a high value item out the store while his accomplice distracted my friend who, due to staffing cuts, was covering a whole department on his own.

« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2017, 02:59:13 PM »
Bit scummy but i'm sure Tesco won't be hurting.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Silver Member
  • Mr Moose is up! It's done done done!
    • http://jackanderton.jamendo.net/
« Reply #74 on: December 31, 2017, 02:59:17 PM »
The cost of what you nick comes from somewhere, and it's not the rich people who own Tesco.  The rich don't go "oh well less profit for us, never mind!" they just spend less and charge more to compensate.  "Cost of business" is just a fancy way of saying "why we have to put prices up and reduce the packs of ham by 20g".   Basically your theft makes things more expensive for everyone else.  It also undermines very useful systems like the self scanning, which rely on some degree of honesty to be worthwhile.  So yes it's wrong, cut it out.

(I agree with Paul Calf's exception.  We managed to get the stone hearted Tories in.  So if you can't afford to eat, I'm not going to judge you for stealing food)

Tesco's business model is already to undercut the competition by using the cheapest and most precarious legally possible labour and distribution methods. They will not put prices up while ASDA and co breathe down their necks. It's a bollocks argument. It's a bit like saying "well if everyone stole theyd have to shut down". Obviously. But they aren't and they won't be. His theft is, if not fully forgivable, then negligible.

Dr Rock

• The BEST of luck!
« Reply #75 on: December 31, 2017, 03:01:48 PM »

To be clear, I'm not looking for my behaviour to be justified. I stole a torch from Tesco - which is a surprising decision I made to be perfectly honest, and I'm not sure why I did it,
(although i have no regrets either) - and am asking what people think about that, not tell me it's fine.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Silver Member
« Reply #76 on: December 31, 2017, 03:02:02 PM »
Yes, this is real. It pulls you down, makes you dread going into work. I've got friends in retail. Shoplifting losses aren't exactly taken out of their wages - I understand this does happen sometimes although I've only heard this anecdotally- but the losses can affect their bonus which they rely on to make their salary anything like a living wage.

One of my friends got a written warning from his employer, when CCTV showed a shoplifter removing a security tag and taking a high value item out the store while his accomplice distracted my friend who, due to staffing cuts, was covering a whole department on his own.

That's divide and rule at its finest. The corporation is one of the most wealthy, profitable and successful in the country, and it manages to be that way by being as mean as legally possible to its employees regardless of the prevailing wind. If it wasn't shoplifting it would be something else they would use as a gambit to drive conditions down further. That isn't any petty thieves fault, that's the business' ethos, their model. This culture is applied to all aspects of the working day. Blame the corporation.

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
« Reply #77 on: December 31, 2017, 03:02:26 PM »
[tag]Oh, Shakazaramesh, will you ever learn?[/tag]

« Reply #78 on: December 31, 2017, 03:05:11 PM »
I am not deciding what the law is. I intentionally broke the law, while believing the law is correct that shoplifting is a crime. I don't think I've made any moral judgments other than a company as huge as Tesco is not going to feel the loss of a ten pound torch.

If I was asked 'is this wrong' I'd say 'yes it is wrong to steal, but if you stole a tenner off the Queen I couldn't give a monkeys. And likewise Mr Tesco.'

I think as bad things go, nicking from Tescos is probably not as bad as other things you could do, I do think that shoplifting changes people though. Having been friends with serial shoplifters, there was a sneaky grasping attitude they developed, and then working in shops I saw that in the people who'd steal from us - a sort of sly arrogance and indignation. I think doing anything habitually changes us. I don't really have a conclusion beyond that though.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Silver Member
« Reply #79 on: December 31, 2017, 03:06:12 PM »
^ I agree with that.

« Reply #80 on: December 31, 2017, 03:09:10 PM »
lenny fucking biscuits over here

I was gonna say the exact same thing. "Ah could have nicked it...but I didn't!"

Dr Rock

• The BEST of luck!
« Reply #81 on: December 31, 2017, 03:09:48 PM »
Basically your theft makes things more expensive for everyone else.  It also undermines very useful systems like the self scanning, which rely on some degree of honesty to be worthwhile.  So yes it's wrong, cut it out.

Me stealing a ten pound torch might be wrong, but it's going to make no difference to the price of anything in Tesco is it?

Also I didn't use the self-scan checkout, I avoid them as they put people out of jobs. Do you use them, and if so, do you not care that your choice might mean less jobs available for people who would be happy to work in a Tesco or similar?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Silver Member
« Reply #82 on: December 31, 2017, 03:12:27 PM »
Me stealing a ten pound torch might be wrong, but it's going to make no difference to the price of anything in Tesco is it?

ABSOLUTELY FUCK ALL DIFFERENCE

Also I didn't use the self-scan checkout, I avoid them as they put people out of jobs. Do you use them, and if so, do you not care that your choice might mean less jobs available for people who would be happy to work in a Tesco or similar?

FEWER

« Reply #83 on: December 31, 2017, 03:12:36 PM »
I once caused quite a stir some years back by using larger coffee cups to house and buy service station soup. The savings were considerable and subsequently lead to the closure of a number of Statoil garages. So I can't offer any advice Re:OP.

Dr Rock

• The BEST of luck!
« Reply #84 on: December 31, 2017, 03:14:05 PM »
I was gonna say the exact same thing. "Ah could have nicked it...but I didn't!"

It was just a jokey way of saying 'I nearly accidentally left the store without paying for this - so now I've spotted it went through the checkout, you'd better scan it so i can pay for it, or I would be shoplifting' What's wrong with that? (As opposed to actually stealing, as I just have)

« Reply #85 on: December 31, 2017, 03:16:03 PM »
It was just a jokey way of saying 'I nearly accidentally left the store without paying for this - so now I've spotted it went through the checkout, you'd better scan it so i can pay for it, or I would be shoplifting' What's wrong with that? (As opposed to actually stealing, as I just have)

It's a reference to a catchphrase by one of Andy Dawson's characters called Lenny Biscuits in the Athletico Mince podcast. I wasn't making a judgement on your highlighting of the fact you nearly didn't pay for something.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Silver Member
« Reply #86 on: December 31, 2017, 03:16:08 PM »
I once caused quite a stir some years back by using larger coffee cups to house and buy service station soup. The savings were considerable and subsequently lead to the closure of a number of Statoil garages. So I can't offer any advice Re:OP.
+1

Similarly my insistence on buying reduced items they would otherwise be throwing away due to their incredibly wasteful and arrogant business model and earning NOTHING on was directly responsible for the closure of the Tesco at Haltemprice Belmplex and causing the branch manager to shed a single tear on an unsold packet of beef mince that had gone all brown and smelly.

Dr Rock

• The BEST of luck!
« Reply #87 on: December 31, 2017, 03:18:01 PM »
It's a reference to a catchphrase by one of Andy Dawson's characters called Lenny Biscuits in the Athletico Mince podcast. I wasn't making a judgement on your highlighting of the fact you nearly didn't pay for something.

Oh ok. I guessed it was a reference, but couldn't source it.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Silver Member
« Reply #88 on: December 31, 2017, 03:21:53 PM »
Theft is theft - so you have to make the decision yourself whether you feel you can take the moral hit.
However, think on this. Who will ultimately pay for that loss? Will it be the billionaire owners, or will it be the zero-hour contractor who doesn't get a shift the next week?
The system is rigged. You can't even steel from the big boys anymore without them randomly punishing someone more like you.

That's not how Tesco the business works. The worker is already taking the hit and squeezed to the extent the law allows. The model of expansion, undercutting prices and aiming for increased market share to keep those shareholder dividends expanding year on year is what causes shit pay and conditions for employees and cheap consumer items and groceries for customers. That's the rigged system, that's the tangible industrial scale cruelty, not the negligible, if immoral acts of some petty thieves. Tesco would employ ZERO human beings in its stores if it thought it was cheaper and practical. They are not our beneficent job creators, and we have no reason to beg for their mercy - they are a giant corporate entity exploiting the supply of labour while it suits them, even getting the government to pay for some of it. They would pull the rug under the lives of everyone employed below the boardroom if it suited their financial interests. Fuck them.

Replies From View

• Golden Member
« Reply #89 on: December 31, 2017, 03:23:26 PM »
the losses can affect their bonus which they rely on to make their salary anything like a living wage.

On the other hand, it is unacceptable for large companies to behave like this.

I prefer to boycott companies of this nature, but am I supposed to feel bad because lower sales would impact upon the salaries of their workforce?  I don't think I should.

Shoplifting isn't the real issue, regardless of how the corporations (and a few indignant posters here today) spin it.  It's just one of many excuses used to underpay their staff.

Tags: