Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 06:50:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Confused Concepts?

Started by Lumiere, January 14, 2005, 06:51:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lumiere

Does it annoy you when people completely miss the concept of a record? I'm use concept as a broad term - it can apply to 'story' or 'idea(s)' behind an album.

For instance, it pisses me off when people talk about the storyline of The Who's Tommy and refer to this - "It's about a boy who sees his father killed by his stepdad, and goes deaf, dumb and blind."

Well, can you find ANY reference in the lyrics to Tommy's father being jugged off by his stepdad? No. You can find references to Tommy's dad going missing in the war - and "his unborn child will never know him". To be fair, I've never actually understood what Tommy isn't meant to see (see 1921), but yeah.

Another thing that annoys me is criticism of Roger Waters' first solo record...the final cut The Pros And Cons Of Hitchhiking. People bitch about the constant repetition of the same melody, but it's clear that the constant repetition of the melody has a purpose. P&C is not meant to be viewed as an album, more of a meditation, according to Waters.