Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:25:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

1973 Brian Eno doc on the recording of 'Here Come The Warm Jets'

Started by ajsmith2, December 31, 2017, 05:28:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

rue the polywhirl

Thankies, mate. A formative album for me. I fondly remember borrowing my dad's copy. A definiteoso unsquawking mess.

BlodwynPig

Head Gardener

ajsmith2

Quote from: BlodwynPig on December 31, 2017, 09:53:49 PM
I never warmed to this album sadly - a squawking mess

I prefer Taking Tiger Mountain. Ever tried that one? A bit subtler and more subdued.

Johnny Yesno

BlodwynPig

Quote from: ajsmith2 on January 01, 2018, 12:54:15 PM
I prefer Taking Tiger Mountain. Ever tried that one? A bit subtler and more subdued.

Will give it a spin, thanks. I like his ambient stuff.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: BlodwynPig on December 31, 2017, 09:53:49 PM
I never warmed to this album sadly - a squawking mess

Agreed. I like the opener but terrible production on the vocals that has dated worse than sodastream and never relents throughout. The combination of that and the whimsy just gets on my nerves. Listened to individual tracks, tries and failed to make it through the whole thing.

phantom_power

Great album, great documentary. A real snapshot in time. Watching Eno fiddle around with analog synths could fill a whole series

jobotic

It's a fantastic album, life-changing for me in the way that others talk about Bowie. "Whimsy" indeed.
Thanks for this.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: jobotic on January 03, 2018, 10:51:53 PM
It's a fantastic album, life-changing for me in the way that others talk about Bowie. "Whimsy" indeed.
Thanks for this.

Yeah I also find it odd that fans of Eno, or even just fans of experimental rock music of the era, could find anything remotely detestable about this album. I also don't think it's badly produced at all, I think it's wonderful and it sounds great. That fucking wailing guitar solo on Baby's On Fire blows my balls off.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: alan nagsworth on January 03, 2018, 11:40:57 PM
Yeah I also find it odd that fans of Eno, or even just fans of experimental rock music of the era, could find anything remotely detestable about this album. I also don't think it's badly produced at all, I think it's wonderful and it sounds great. That fucking wailing guitar solo on Baby's On Fire blows my balls off.

well this version is better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u05Fz9c2sgc

PaulTMA

hedgehog90

non capisco

I listened to Here Come The Warm Jets again at the weekend. That fucked up bit at the end of 'Dead Finks Don't Talk' is amazing.  There's a real sense of revelling in sonic adventure throughout the album. I haven't seen the doc linked to in the OP but I've read Eno started the sessions by dancing about and getting the musicians to soundtrack his capering then using that as the basis for a song.