Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,470
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:35:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Obvious things you've only just realised (2018 Thread )

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, January 01, 2018, 11:08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: petrilTanaka on September 16, 2018, 06:06:54 PM
first thing I saw when I arrived in Teesside for a uni open day and I thought "oh, you lot know about the norse jocks an' all"

I still have a hard time with 'teesside' & 'university' on the same page, let alone in the same breath. I did a couple of gigs at the then polytechnic, & it was a place I can best describe as focused on producing talent for the local industries rather than anything further afield. parochial.

down the road, the art college was turning out the likes of steve bell; I spent a year there having decided against university myself, then went into broadcast engineering. loved it.

Twed

Being reminded of this baffling popular snack spin-off in the US made me also realise that Andy Capp = "Handicap". Duh.

Sebastian Cobb

Andy Capp is a thing in the US though innit? Homer Simpson chuckles at him being a drunk wifebeater.

American crisps look horrific; sadly the american candy shops that crop up in the uk don't carry savories so i can't sneer at them.

Ambient Sheep

Thanks to this post in the COOK'D and Bomb'd? thread, it's now obvious to me why we got so many cheap kitchen spammers a year or three ago. *facepalm*

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on September 11, 2018, 07:25:08 PM
The guy who composed it got paid every time it was played.  Since it played before EVERY programme he must have racked up a tidy amount!

£2.36 every time, so I believe.

He should have hidden a subliminal ker-ching! sound deep in the mix in the final note.

zomgmouse

Not sure if it should be in this or the other thread but I've just realised soda (as in the drinks) are called that because of sodium. The more I think about it this is the thread it should be in. Like bicarbonate soda. Sodium bicarbonate. Sodium. Soda.

Pdine

Maria the cleaning woman's racist speech in Meaning of Life is in rhyming couplets.

jobotic

I was in the Zetland Arms over the summer.

In Deal, Kent.

dallasman

"Could of" was popularized by Albert Fish. That's probably why it's so triggering.

Cuellar

When a car is described as 'mid-range', it's referring to price and model type etc. In the middle of the brand's range of cars.

I always thought it meant range as in distance.

Replies From View

Quote from: Cuellar on September 21, 2018, 11:16:44 AM
When a car is described as 'mid-range', it's referring to price and model type etc. In the middle of the brand's range of cars.

I always thought it meant range as in distance.

But they do run out of petrol half-way there, as well.

sprocket

Linton is a place, not an invented name for a chain of travel taverns.

Cuellar

Quote from: sprocket on September 28, 2018, 01:59:38 PM

Jesus christ. And it turns out it was filmed just down the road from where I grew up, and very near where friends of mine used to live so I must driven very near to it dozens of times.

How did I never know that?!

Sebastian Cobb

That some people reckon Homer Simpson answering 'yes, once' to Hank Scorpio's 'Ever seen a guy say goodbye to a shoe?' question implies he's referring to another time in the past that he's seen it rather than Hank just then.

Cuellar

Well that is the joke so of course there are people that think that.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Cuellar on September 28, 2018, 07:29:59 PM
Well that is the joke so of course there are people that think that.

I honestly think it's funnier if he's referring to to just then.

Bit like Sam Loscoe's 'I met one guy who got shot twice in one day in unrelated incidents, he was a real dick.'

Norton Canes

Quote from: sprocket on September 28, 2018, 01:59:38 PM

Well no cause on the sign 'Linton' is written like part of a logo

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on September 16, 2018, 01:57:17 PM
the pub nearest the railway station in the village where I was dragged up is 'the zetland'.

nobody... nobody calls it that. it's 'the top house', being at the edge of town furthest from the sea & 'the ship inn', a proper pub.

& as you'll've all seen & heard on 'the mighty redcar', the local cat-up-tree-all-the-hits-all-of-the-time radio station is 'zetland FM'.

depressing show, that. that's where I'm from. made me sad, not just because it's a misrepresentation, but because it's only a misrepresentation by a tiny bit, by virtue of the few things it's excluded.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Norton Canes

Replies From View

Stoneage Dinosaurs

I was at the Jorvik centre today and that was the main thing I learned, other than the fact that the Vikings were all robots and smelt of animal shit

Replies From View

Carry On Columbus was good wasn't it.  Amongst your favourite films ever, eh reader.

Gregory Torso

How massive cicadas are. I hear them a lot, little merzbows in the tree tops, but I just thought at best they were like fat crickets until one fell out of a tree in front of me about a month ago and got really arsey about it. It was huge. It was like a woodlouse-for-life. Orange eyes and just really angry. I suppose it's all that underground stuff they do before they have to get up in a tree and start making techno.

Also a locust is just a grasshopper that's gone mental, it's not a different kind of insect which is what I always though. Grasshopper screams "'have some of that!" at a field of corn, and rips off its clothes, it is so angry it grows wings and kicks the shit out of every plant thing in a million strong riot. Why are insects so angry all the time?

Replies From View

Quote from: Gregory Torso on September 30, 2018, 03:42:12 PM
Why are insects so angry all the time?

Because they are suddenly insects.  You'd feel the same way.