Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 07:36:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Obvious things you've only just realised (2018 Thread )

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, January 01, 2018, 11:08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

zomgmouse

No, it's pronounced chick filaaay.  French innit. This was the obvious thing that I had, at the time, only just realised.

zomgmouse

Quote from: DistressedArea on November 13, 2018, 08:44:24 AM
No, it's pronounced chick filaaay.

Yes, that's how you pronounce filet. Not fillet. Filet.

Quote from: zomgmouse on November 13, 2018, 01:08:52 PM
Yes, that's how you pronounce filet. Not fillet. Filet.

You are confusing the word filet with the word filet. The former is pronounced filet whereas the latter is not.

Please be careful in future.

Ferris

I wonder if poster Phil_A can provide any insight on pronunciation.

olliebean

"Hove" (as in "hove into view") is the past participle of "heave." I'd always thought it was a completely separate word. Bloody irregular verbs.

DrGreggles

The breakfast at the apartment last weekend was complimentary.

MojoJojo

Did it say "you're nice and slim, you can treat yourself to a 3000 calorie breakfast".

I think this joke needs work.

Norton Canes

Kazakhstan is pretty much bigger than all the other 'stans put together

Hey, Punk!

Quote from: MojoJojo on November 14, 2018, 09:01:48 PM
Did it say "you're nice and slim, you can treat yourself to a 3000 calorie breakfast".

It was alphabet spaghetti that said 'You're well sexy tbh'.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: MojoJojo on November 14, 2018, 09:01:48 PM

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Gulftastic

Windy Miller in Camberwick Green lived, right, he lived in a WINDMILL!

Utter Shit

There's probably a comedy thread where this would be more suitable, but fuck it.

I am an Only Fools and Horses obsessive, and have probably seen every episode 40 or 50 times if not more. And yet today I noticed a joke I'd never got before.

Early in the episode 'The Sky's the Limit', Boycie comes round to Del' s but says he can't stay because his car is parked outside and "you know what people round here are like - they'd have the wheels off a jumbo jet if it flew too low". Later in the episode a jumbo jet flies directly towards Nelson Mandela House.

Not a particularly complex call-forward, and it isn't even that well-done because the jet doesn't so much fly low as seemingly crash directly into their flat...but I can't believe I never made the connection.

Icehaven

The name of the Five Guys burger chain has nothing to do with the musical 'Five Guys Named Moe.'

Replies From View

Quote from: icehaven on November 22, 2018, 08:08:06 PM
The name of the Five Guys burger chain has nothing to do with the musical 'Five Guys Named Moe.'

No, it's based on 'A Streetcar Named Marge'.

New Jack

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on November 21, 2018, 09:16:57 PM
I'm going to die alone.

Aww! Mate, don't be like that. I for one hope you die with thousands of other people!!

Replies From View

Quote from: New Jack on November 22, 2018, 08:30:29 PM
Aww! Mate, don't be like that. I for one hope you die with thousands of other people!!

In a graveyard?

New Jack

The hymns "To be a Pilgrim" and "He who would Valiant be" are indeed the same hymn.

Ambient Sheep

I went to school with a lad whose surname was Pilgrim.  Much hilarity used to ensue every time that hymn came round.

olliebean

Quote from: Special K on November 23, 2018, 11:46:49 AM
The hymns "To be a Pilgrim" and "He who would Valiant be" are indeed the same hymn.

I bloody hate that hymn. Especially the last verse. Used to have to sing about making good my right to be a Pilgrim, at an age when I had no idea what a Pilgrim was except that it was a very ugly sounding word and I was pretty sure I didn't want to be one.

Also all the words are in the wrong order.

Crabwalk

I had a row with my wife the other day because she was insisting everyone butters both slices of bread for sandwiches and I was saying people only butter one, you profligate maniac.

I looked it up and apparently I'm massively in the minority. How have I remained in the dark over this for 41 years?

Cuellar

Read that as both SIDES of the bread and thought 'Christ! Really?! I've never seen anyone do that, that is insane'

But then I re-read it and yes, you are in the minority you stingy git. Get both bits buttered, come on.

Twit 2

I have never in my life witnessed or heard of anyone buttering only one piece of bread in a sandwich.

Brian Freeze

I'm a one side buttered kind of guy, we were told not to waste butter by putting it on both.

Mrs Freeze doesn't put any on any side of the butties she very kindly makes me. I've just checked and she says it's because I'm a big fatty with a cholesterol problem.