Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:18:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Obvious things you've only just realised (2018 Thread )

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, January 01, 2018, 11:08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zomgmouse

Wang Chung is a band, not a Chinese composer.
I first heard the name from the soundtrack of To Live and Die in L.A. and just assumed it was a single person who'd done the score. Then I heard their actual songs and looked them up and saw that they were a band.
Still reeling that "everybody Wang Chung tonight" is a real, legitimate lyric.

Quote from: New Jack on November 26, 2018, 01:56:01 AM
I'm either too damaged to cope online or people are bigger cunts than I thought. Prob a bit of both.

Asked the admin to remove this account. Thanks for all the fun! Keep the Play it safe Paul thread going in my disgrace honour!
The door to the (spam) chatroom is always open to Jacks Old and New, if you fancy popping in, its all good.

Thomas

I'll miss you if you go, New Jack. Take care whatever you do.

MoonDust

I liked New Jack too. Hopefully we'll see New New Jack soon. With an even angrier avatar.

Ferris

I think I'm going to have my own flounce, weirdly. NJ leaving hit a bit too close to home and I can't be arsed with forums anymore.

When in doubt, follow the leader!

Brian Freeze

That'd be shit news on two accounts. First New Jack and then you? Not good.

NJ has proper gone, can't send a PM.

Norton Canes

Erstwhile means 'former'. I thought it meant worthy, dependable.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 27, 2018, 10:04:40 AM

" Viz" made this mistake once too, they had Raffles the Gentleman Thug introducing Bunny as his erstwhile friend.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Brian Freeze on November 27, 2018, 01:59:33 AM
That'd be shit news on two accounts. First New Jack and then you? Not good.

NJ has proper gone, can't send a PM.

It would be, agreed.

Hopefully NJ will be back at some point in the future. I think he's got too much on his plate at the minute and found the forum increasingly overwhelming, but the door is still open.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Hoping NJ comes back quite soon meself, the sooner the better.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on November 27, 2018, 01:36:56 AM
I think I'm going to have my own flounce, weirdly. NJ leaving hit a bit too close to home and I can't be arsed with forums anymore.

No one needs to flounce or nuke their account or anything, just take a break, stay out of the politics/gender threads. Ferris, if you go, I understand, but you'll be much missed in HS Art.

Norton Canes

Just read that as 'forrins'

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 27, 2018, 10:04:40 AM

I've noticed many people use that word incorrectly.  It's probably a combination of mixing the word up with "esteemed" and never being taught the correct meaning in the first place and working out the meaning from the other usages they've seen (some of those being wrong as well).

MuteBanana

That it wasn't that long ago when I lived in a household that happily kept eggs, butter, potatoes, onions, carrots, tomatoes, cucumber, broccoli, greens and fruits out of the fridge and in cupboards and on worktops.

So I've been playing with that. Cucumber has lasted 7 days now and is still nice and crunchy. Last tomato I had was still firm and delicious. Potatoes and eggs, no problem there.

Potatoes, tomatoes, onions, most fruit and eggs are all not supposed to be refrigerated.

Small Man Big Horse

When in doubt, follow the leader!

I hope you don't go Ferris. If you do this proves the evils of cannabis!

Benjaminos

Bottom, series 2, episode 1 (Digger):

Richie: "Bloody fox hunts go on forever these days, don't you find? Start off in Berkshire, end up in.. Twatshire"

Always thought that was just a weird non-sequitur, but there's a logic to it. Berk > Twat.

Maybe in another twenty years I'll work out what "see you in a mo.. a sex mo" means.

Icehaven

Quote from: The Always Red Society on November 27, 2018, 05:46:53 PM
Potatoes, tomatoes, onions, most fruit and eggs are all not supposed to be refrigerated.

I didn't refrigerate potatoes until the day I opened the cupboard and a cascade of maggots rained down on me, having been merrily squirming away on my spuds with impunity. Ever since then if it's not in a jar or can, it's in the fridge.

Cuellar

Quote from: Benjaminos on November 27, 2018, 06:33:24 PM
Maybe in another twenty years I'll work out what "see you in a mo.. a sex mo" means.

Ha! I was just thinking about that line the other day, and realised I never knew what it meant. But I love the way it's delivered.

Replies From View

Quote from: Cuellar on November 27, 2018, 07:35:54 PM
Ha! I was just thinking about that line the other day, and realised I never knew what it meant. But I love the way it's delivered.

Don't they mean "a very short length of time indeed"?

Quote from: icehaven on November 27, 2018, 06:50:57 PM
I didn't refrigerate potatoes until the day I opened the cupboard and a cascade of maggots rained down on me, having been merrily squirming away on my spuds with impunity. Ever since then if it's not in a jar or can, it's in the fridge.

Cool, dry, dark place mate.

Potatoes go bad in the fridge, temperature turns the starch into sugars, makes them taste bad and can cause them to go toxic eventually.

Replies From View

The lesson to take away from the potato story is not to store them above head height.

MuteBanana

Quote from: Benjaminos on November 27, 2018, 06:33:24 PM
Bottom, series 2, episode 1 (Digger):

Richie: "Bloody fox hunts go on forever these days, don't you find? Start off in Berkshire, end up in.. Twatshire"

Always thought that was just a weird non-sequitur, but there's a logic to it. Berk > Twat.

Richie yearns to be middle class. Upper even. What did he mean when he said "Well you should come round and shoot my grouse sometime. Yeah. His name's Keith."

Souse? Keith Floyd?

Benjaminos

Richie has a history of talking whimsical bollocks when he's alone and/or lonely, I just chalk it up to that. See also: Lt. Sex Machine (Homicide), Little Johnny Cartwright from the flats, etc.

Gulftastic

Cicada, the big bad in the current season of the Flash is played by Chris Klein.

Samantha (nee Janus) Womack's husband, Mr. Womack, has no connection to the popular beat group Womack & Womack.

mothman

The Belgian bus and coach manufacturer is called Van Hool, not Vanttool.

olliebean

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on November 29, 2018, 11:23:45 PM
Samantha (nee Janus) Womack's husband, Mr. Womack, has no connection to the popular beat group Womack & Womack.

Related to this...

Samantha Womack is Samantha Janus.

Icehaven

Quote from: The Always Red Society on November 27, 2018, 07:55:04 PM
Cool, dry, dark place mate.

Potatoes go bad in the fridge, temperature turns the starch into sugars, makes them taste bad and can cause them to go toxic eventually.

It was a cool dark dry place, fly still got in. No flies in the fridge. I pretty much always eat fresh food within a week anyway so I doubt my spuds will have time to go bad enough to kill me.

Replies From View

Quote from: icehaven on November 30, 2018, 11:18:22 AM
It was a cool dark dry place, fly still got in. No flies in the fridge. I pretty much always eat fresh food within a week anyway so I doubt my spuds will have time to go bad enough to kill me.

Yet that was enough time to hatch maggots for raining down on you.