Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:51:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Obvious things you've only just realised (2018 Thread )

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, January 01, 2018, 11:08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Norton Canes on December 20, 2018, 11:40:01 AM
The 'clunk' in 'clunk-click' refers to the closure of the car door and is not a component of the seat belt bucklement.

Mad. Makes sense as I once managed to shut the door on my left fingers while simultaneously shutting the door with my right hand and grabbing the belt with the left.

Bobtoo

The 'clunk' in 'clunk-click' refers to the closure of the car door and is not a component of the seat belt bucklement.

It's made quite clear in the early TV adverts, but I thought the same as you until I saw them years after I heard the catchphrase. It doesn't help that fastening a seatbelt makes two sounds, even if clunk isn't one of them.

Bennett Brauer

'Clunk-click' has no right to be hyphenated. At best there's at least 3 seconds between the door closing and the belt engaging.

'What is wrong with this fucking thing get in you stupid piece of shit-click' would be better.

seepage

a company shuttle bus driver used to say "please seat the belts, seat the belts"

kalowski

Cuellar

In favourite Christmas hit 'Driving Home For Christmas' the line is NOT:

Top to toe in taillights

But:

Top to toe in tailBACKS

I must have heard the song literally millions of times and it was only YESTERDAY that I truly heard the song for the first time.

Icehaven

Quote from: MuteBanana on December 21, 2018, 07:33:44 PM
Not obvious but I'm not starting a thread.

Actor John C Reilly doesn't age.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BMjA0NjY5NjI4Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzc2MDAxMw@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,757,1000_AL_.jpg

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BNmJkMGQwMDQtYzIyNi00OWRlLThiZjMtMjVhOTc3YzI4YWE2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTI5NjIyMw@@._V1_SX1777_CR0,0,1777,999_AL_.jpg

He's one of those people who looked way older than they were when they were still young though. Sucks when you're 28 but is great when you're 50 and everyone keeps telling you you haven't aged.

chrispmartha

Just watched Trading Places - Dan Ackroyd is actually called Dan Aykroyd.

Mandela effect or me being an idiot?

zomgmouse

Quote from: chrispmartha on December 23, 2018, 09:10:10 PM

One of my irrational pet peeves. It's 100% Aykroyd.

Twit 2

Quote from: icehaven on December 23, 2018, 08:08:45 PM
He's one of those people who looked way older than they were when they were still young though. Sucks when you're 28 but is great when you're 50 and everyone keeps telling you you haven't aged.

Plus he looks older in the 2nd pic anyway, about as old as he should look compared to the 1st pic, funnily enough. Unless not going bald means not ageing, but I suppose this a baldness support group forum primarily.

Cerys

Twit 2's owl avatar looks like a pig's snout.  Beautiful.

Twed

And I've just realised that Twit 2 = "t-wit t-woo" (the speech that owls regularly deliver)

Twit 2

It gets cleverer! I'm in my 2nd incarnation on this board and I'm an actual twit (twat didn't have the punning possibilities).

greenman

Gulftastic

Michael Caine's character in Escape To Victory was probably collaborating with the prison camp guards. No was did he get that fat on POW rations.

He was either grassing up his fellow POWs, of sucking off the guards. I can't decide which is more likely.

Replies From View

Quote from: Twit 2 on December 24, 2018, 03:57:56 AM
It gets cleverer! I'm in my 2nd incarnation on this board and I'm an actual twit (twat didn't have the punning possibilities).

Did you call yourself Twit with the masterplan of ultimately having a second incarnation called Twit 2?  It just feels all too neat and tidy to be a coincidence.

Dex Sawash

Mise en place is not some fabulous French idiom about local ingredients. It just means " get every fucking dish and spoon dirty for no reason"

Replies From View

Quote from: Dex Sawash on December 24, 2018, 08:07:27 PM
Mise en place is not some fabulous French idiom about local ingredients. It just means " get every fucking dish and spoon dirty for no reason"

See also "Coq au Vin".  A Jackson Pollock of jizz filling every kitchen crevice.

Icehaven

This is on behalf of my Mum, but she's just, aged 81, learned what Rock Paper Scissors is. She said she's seen and heard people doing it for years but never had a clue what they were doing. She's a BBT fan as well as so god alone knows what she thought Rock Paper Scissors Lizard Spock was and I'm not getting into it as it just annoys me.

Ferris

Chocolate contains a fair amount of caffeine.

This astounded me, but everyone else in the room mocked my ignorance of such a basic fact so I've posted it in the "obvious things..." rather than the "fuck my hat..." thread as everyone else here probably already knew that.

Also Savile closing then locking his boot or camper van door, then driving off with a young prisoner.

monolith

Quote from: chrispmartha on December 23, 2018, 09:10:10 PM

News to me, so either Mandela effect or worst case scenario you are not alone in your idiocy.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: monolith on December 30, 2018, 09:03:05 PM
News to me, so either Mandela effect or worst case scenario you are not alone in your idiocy.

I'm incredibly surprised by that too, I had no idea.

Edit: Seems like Den Of Geek got it wrong too - https://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/61824/dan-ackroyd-is-still-holding-out-hope-for-ghostbusters-3

Replies From View

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 30, 2018, 10:06:35 PM
I'm incredibly surprised by that too, I had no idea.

Edit: Seems like Den Of Geek got it wrong too - https://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/61824/dan-ackroyd-is-still-holding-out-hope-for-ghostbusters-3

Quote"I'm more involved with trying to get the desert I ordered at lunch than I am with the new Ghostbusters sequel".

Ooooooooh an hoop!  Hark at Bill Murray trying to get an entire desert for lunch, the MANDELA EFFECT CUNT.

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: Twed on December 24, 2018, 02:41:31 AM
And I've just realised that Twit 2 = "t-wit t-woo" (the speech that owls regularly deliver)

I was late finding out that Twit Twoo is the sound of two owls. Twit is the female, Twoo the male response.

RDRR

It doesn't matter how big a plate you put something on, you can't waste plate - it's recyclable. I don't need to carefully decant the 52 bowls precariously stacked on top of the one medium-small plate from the cupboard to the sideboard to have a guilt-free slice of toast.

olliebean

A will (as in "last will and testament") is literally the will (as in "will of the people") of the deceased person.

mothman

I've just realised this thread's days are numbered. Where the number is "less than one."

Cold Meat Platter