Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 08:41:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Obvious things you've only just realised (2018 Thread )

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, January 01, 2018, 11:08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuellar

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on April 16, 2018, 07:19:19 PM
End of stones "Gimme Shelter" the woman Merry Clayton isn't singing "Heeeeeey Babeeeey it's just a shot away" she is singing "Rape, Murder, it's just a shot away".

fucking hell.

what

Ferris

French police: Gendarmes

Gens = people
D'armes = armed

Psmith

The Premiership  had to change it's name to The Premier League because rugby players are harder.

Cuellar

Dex Sawash

I'm not missing the plug-in that enables Comedy Chat function

Depressed Beyond Tables

Michael Jackson's 'Black or White' starts as a 12 bar blues, a song structure which is widely accepted to have its origins in the slave-filled cotton fields of America.

a duncandisorderly

phantom_power

Vibes = Vibrations. I was listening to Good Vibrations with my son and he asked if good vibrations were the same as good vibes and it shook me to my core

olliebean

"jk" = "just kidding." It's not just shorthand for "joke."

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: olliebean on April 20, 2018, 03:32:01 PM
"jk" = "just kidding." It's not just shorthand for "joke."

Q: What's JK short for?

A: He has little legs.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Cuellar on April 18, 2018, 10:58:54 AM
[off-screen Graham Linehan voice]fuckin hell[/off-screen Graham Linehan voice]

Her own version is brilliant as well, but here's her vocal from the Stones version, isolated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njAuEGRthuw

At 20 seconds, hear Mick Jagger whoop, presumably in approval at the amount of 'welly' it's being given. Once you've heard it, you'll notice it in the full Rolling Stones mix.

momatt

Cool, not noticed the 'whoop' before.

I do know that she was heavily pregnant when she recorded it.  They ran her up at something stupid like midnight to come into the studio.  She of course immediately came in, because who wouldn't?
She then gave it so much welly that she had a miscarriage.  Which is awful of course, but an interesting story.

Cuellar

Quote from: gilbertharding on April 20, 2018, 04:31:11 PM
Her own version is brilliant as well, but here's her vocal from the Stones version, isolated:

At 20 seconds, hear Mick Jagger whoop, presumably in approval at the amount of 'welly' it's being given. Once you've heard it, you'll notice it in the full Rolling Stones mix.

That is good.

MoonDust

Quote from: gilbertharding on April 20, 2018, 04:31:11 PM

I read in some trivia about that song regarding when you hear her voice break as she tries to hit the high notes towards the end. Apparently her voice broke because she actually injured her vocal cords during the recording, which is what you're hearing. She couldn't sing for a few weeks afterwards apparently. Ouch.

Bazooka

Quote from: phantom_power on April 20, 2018, 10:07:01 AM
Vibes = Vibrations. I was listening to Good Vibrations with my son and he asked if good vibrations were the same as good vibes and it shook me to my core

Fuck me, those Beach lads knew all along. How did I not...*Jumps out the window*

gib

circus - horses run round in a circle

QuotePhilip Astley is credited with being the 'father' of the modern circus when he opened the first circus in 1768 in England. A skilled equestrian, Astley demonstrated trick riding, riding in a circle rather than a straight line as his rivals did, and thus chanced on the format which was later named a 'circus'.

Cerys

Quote from: gib on April 20, 2018, 11:28:10 PM

I always assumed it was a reference to the Circus Maximus in Ancient Rome, rather than the brainchild of some Georgian cunt with a tent.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: gib on April 20, 2018, 11:28:10 PM

the size of the ring is the smallest circle a horse can run in without falling over & hurting itself. a bit harsh on the nag, that.

zomgmouse

Alright so bookmarks in a web browser on the Internet, right

And bookmarks, like in an actual book, right

Yeah. That.

greenman

A young Josh Brolin was the big brother in Goonies.

biggytitbo

monkfromhavana

Replies From View

Gregory Torso

A female swan is a pen and a male swan is a cob.

Also why are they called mute swans when they're chatty as fuck?

Rocket Surgery

Because who's going to argue with one o' them massive obnoxious feathery bastards.

Gregory Torso

I saw someone wrestle a swan once. He managed to pluck a handful of feathers off its back before it ripped his arm off he ran away into the night