Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:32:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Obvious things you've only just realised (2018 Thread )

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, January 01, 2018, 11:08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isnt Anything

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on January 08, 2018, 10:06:03 PM
Center Parcs isn't/ aren't under a big dome. I genuinely believed this until about 20 minutes ago.

Surely some of it is ? The main social area at least ?

My then manager went to the very first one a couple of years after it opened and we all thought that the whole thing was under the dome but he put us right when he got back saying it was only the middle bit. Said it was the best family holiday he had ever had though mainly cos you could dump the kids in the pool area to be looked after while he and the missus spent 'quality time' together.

Yeah look at photo
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_Parcs_UK#Operations

but no they dont put the whole site under a dome ....

Icehaven

Have you seen the latest Centre Parcs ad? Family getting chased by some kind of leaf wraith, I'd have screamed blue murder if I'd seen that as a child then been told we were going there.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on January 08, 2018, 10:06:03 PM
Center Parcs isn't/ aren't under a big dome. I genuinely believed this until about 20 minutes ago.

My brother went to one about 20 years ago, at the time I remember him saying it was under a big dome.

Cold Meat Platter

Isnt Anything

Icehaven

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on January 09, 2018, 01:41:27 AM
My brother went to one about 20 years ago, at the time I remember him saying it was under a big dome.

Their ad slogan used to be "The British holiday the weather can't spoil.", but now they seem to have abandoned that and the emphasis on the dome, and push themselves more as an outdoorsy sort of thing, which seems a bit weird considering you can go outside anywhere without having to stay at Centre Parcs.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Isnt Anything on January 09, 2018, 03:14:16 AM
for the world is hollow and i have touched the sky

I get that reference! All my Star Trek knowledge comes from Redlettermedia.

Replies From View

Quote from: icehaven on January 09, 2018, 07:23:05 AM
Their ad slogan used to be "The British holiday the weather can't spoil.", but now they seem to have abandoned that and the emphasis on the dome, and push themselves more as an outdoorsy sort of thing, which seems a bit weird considering you can go outside anywhere without having to stay at Centre Parcs.

Ah but it is about the feeling of the outside.  A nostalgia-tinted view of the outside, if you will.  The real outside rarely if ever has that feeling.

MojoJojo

Not all the Centre Parcs have a dome anymore - the small new one, and Elveden forest, which did have one until a fire burnt it down. I think since then they have stopped building domes because they're a bit of a fire risk.

Just to be clear - the dome never covered the whole site though.

Norton Canes

Hang on, you can go outside the dome? When we went to the one at Sherwood Forest we stayed inside the dome the whole time. We slept on the sunbeds. We thought outside the dome was just like, a wasteland. Shit.

Gulftastic

I'm a bit sad to hear this about Centre Parks. I always thought it was like Logan's Run, only with older, uglier people.

holyzombiejesus

I imagined that rain would be produced by a sprinkler system or underground irrigation, and never once questioned this idiotic belief. I'm sure their original ads hinted that the whole site was under a dome.

jobotic

Mr Banlon

Quote from: Gulftastic on January 09, 2018, 10:06:52 AM
I'm a bit sad to hear this about Centre Parks. I always thought it was like Logan's Run, only with older, uglier people.
I thought it was a biosphere-Butlins.

Isnt Anything

Quote from: MojoJojo on January 09, 2018, 09:22:50 AM
Not all the Centre Parcs have a dome anymore

Well that takes away the fucking point of it doesn't it ? I would be well pissed off if i booked a Centre Parcs holiday only to find there was no dome and i got rained on all week ....

Replies From View

Quote from: jobotic on January 09, 2018, 11:57:12 AM
How does a dome burn down? Doesn't it melt?

The bottom part catches fire and eventually crumbles away, so the rest of the dome collapses down on it, creating a smaller dome.  And so on, with the dome getting smaller and smaller until its inhabitants are trapped inside a dome that is the exact size of themselves, then they all go on fire.

Icehaven

Quote from: Isnt Anything on January 09, 2018, 12:54:02 PM
Well that takes away the fucking point of it doesn't it ? I would be well pissed off if i booked a Centre Parcs holiday only to find there was no dome and i got rained on all week ....

That was my point exactly. The CP USP was a fuck-off dome that stopped you getting rained on, but now they seem to be all about running through forests and cycling etc., which you could do anywhere.

holyzombiejesus

I'm sure the original advert showed people cycling through a dome covered forest. I also think the original logo featured an overarching dome. Might have imagined it though.

Do you think you're allowed to take cans in to the woods and get pissed or would that be policed?

Replies From View

Quote from: icehaven on January 09, 2018, 02:02:53 PM
That was my point exactly. The CP USP was a fuck-off dome that stopped you getting rained on, but now they seem to be all about running through forests and cycling etc., which you could do anywhere.

It fell apart once people started cottoning on to the potential of umbrellas or "personal domes" as capitalism called them.

Replies From View

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on January 09, 2018, 02:06:49 PM
Do you think you're allowed to take cans in to the woods and get pissed or would that be policed?

Should be fine as long as they are kept on a leash.

Isnt Anything

Quote from: icehaven on January 09, 2018, 02:02:53 PM

Yup !

Uncle TechTip

I guess there's your answer, too many people had a wild leap of imaginaton upon seeing the adverts so to avoid disappointment they tweaked the proposition.

MojoJojo

"Gnu" is pronounced "Nu" like every other "gn" word (e.g. gnome). The Flanders and Swann song is a joke about people mispronouncing it, but has lead to everyone saying it wrong.

(cf. Finnemore)

biggytitbo

I remember a holiday to centre parcs several years ago which was ruined by the fact that they'd put the dome on upside down.  Was awful, everyone just piled up on top of each other unable to climb out.

Isnt Anything

Quote from: MojoJojo on January 09, 2018, 08:08:45 PM
"Gnu" is pronounced "Nu" like every other "gn" word (e.g. gnome). The Flanders and Swann song is a joke about people mispronouncing it, but has lead to everyone saying it wrong.

not helped by this classic old ad and sequels that used a version of the song - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kBmkXxJw1M

tho oxford says can be either with audio to boot - https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/gnu

edit - this one is cute
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlhu2O-YK9o

touchingcloth

Replies From View

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 10, 2018, 09:58:39 AM
Kellogg's is spelled like that.

Fact:  Kellogg's is the only thing in the entire universe since time began that is spelled like that.

Mind-blowing isn't it.

zomgmouse

Replies From View