Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:14:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Obvious things you've only just realised (2018 Thread )

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, January 01, 2018, 11:08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuellar

kalowski

Quote from: paruses on May 16, 2018, 02:57:41 PM
That dog that found the World Cup when it got stolen, perhaps.

I assume he was busy / dead.

Edit: Unless he has gone the same way as that precocious young lad who was an "antiques expert" and is, in fact, the woman featured.

Mr Banlon

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Come to think of it....is top CAB poster's name Talulah, Really! a play on the name of former St. Trinian's film remake actress Talulah Riley?

Noonling

It's C Sharp, not C Hash.

I mean, that's not obvious at all, but I really hope I haven't said "C Hash" to anyone.

Sebastian Cobb

Being a language invented by Americans it'd be called 'c pound'.

'toy java' would be more apt though.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 29, 2018, 01:28:44 PM

I thought it was because it was the next one after C & C+.... if you put two + signs next to each other, you get something that looks a bit like #.... I thought that was it.

but yeah, maybe they're all just dope-heads.

[edit]

>>The name "C sharp" was inspired by musical notation where a sharp indicates that the written note should be made a semitone higher in pitch.[33] This is similar to the language name of C++, where "++" indicates that a variable should be incremented by 1. The sharp symbol also resembles a ligature of four "+" symbols (in a two-by-two grid), further implying that the language is an increment of C++ <<

Isnt Anything

They should just move onto D.

Its a better language anyway.

buzby

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on May 29, 2018, 09:36:31 PM
I thought it was because it was the next one after C & C+.... if you put two + signs next to each other, you get something that looks a bit like #.... I thought that was it.

but yeah, maybe they're all just dope-heads.

[edit]

>>The name "C sharp" was inspired by musical notation where a sharp indicates that the written note should be made a semitone higher in pitch.[33] This is similar to the language name of C++, where "++" indicates that a variable should be incremented by 1. The sharp symbol also resembles a ligature of four "+" symbols (in a two-by-two grid), further implying that the language is an increment of C++ <<

Though it's got more in common with Visual Basic than C++. That does make it ridiculously easy to decomplie back to the source code in most cases though (and have a laugh at how badly it's been written).

Replies From View

What are you talking about source code for?  Weren't you talking about musical notation?

zomgmouse

Just earlier today I thought "do you reckon Babar is called Babar cause sheep go baa-baa" and I thought it was so profound and then just now as I was typing this I realised Babar's not a sheep he's a fucking elephant. Also he's French. Jesus Christ my brain's on fire.

mothman

Yeah, in French comics sheep probably go "STROINK!" or something equally unlikely.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Noonling on May 29, 2018, 09:38:34 AM
It's C Sharp, not C Hash.

I mean, that's not obvious at all, but I really hope I haven't said "C Hash" to anyone.

Has anyone ever asked you what key the Moonlight Sonata is in

zomgmouse

Quote from: mothman on May 30, 2018, 09:12:24 AM
Yeah, in French comics sheep probably go "STROINK!" or something equally unlikely.
MEEHHHHHHHrde

Steven

This scene from Dana Carvey's Master Of Disguise was filmed on the same day as 9/11 and the cast and crew had to be informed of the news.

Probably funniest thing they'd heard all day.

Rocket Surgery

Secretariat was an actual racehorse - and the subject of a Disney film - not just something the creators of BoJack Horseman pulled out of their arses.

zomgmouse

Classical
Class
Classy

Yep great bye

Quote from: Rocket Surgery on June 03, 2018, 11:22:43 PM
Secretariat was an actual racehorse - and the subject of a Disney film - not just something the creators of BoJack Horseman pulled out of their arses.

I'd always associated it with Craig Ferguson

Rocket Surgery

Quote from: zomgmouse on June 03, 2018, 11:45:35 PM
I'd always associated it with Craig Ferguson

Didn't know about that, either. Wonder how many jokes/references in BoJack have gone completely over my head as a result of my cluelessness...

zomgmouse

Quote from: Rocket Surgery on June 04, 2018, 02:28:17 AM
Didn't know about that, either. Wonder how many jokes/references in BoJack have gone completely over my head as a result of my cluelessness...

I'd wager the Ferguson one was just a reference to the same animal as the Bojack one. Probably.

easytarget

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 29, 2018, 01:28:44 PM

concise Java more like.

fuck Java.

Steven

Self-service machine in Morrisons, I had two packets of Bernard Matthew's Turkey slices, 2 for £2. Scan the first one and put it in the packing area, try to scan the other one and nothing, check and there's no barcode on it - oh dear.. and there's a queue behind me so I think to ask one of the assistants could maybe key in the product code for me - then realise oh right, the other packet is the same weight so I just take the first packet back, put the non-barcode one in the packing area and re-scan the first one again. Great succes.

God created Jesus to make the divine relatable for humans.

Icehaven

Quote from: Steven on June 04, 2018, 06:48:22 PM
Self-service machine in Morrisons, I had two packets of Bernard Matthew's Turkey slices, 2 for £2. Scan the first one and put it in the packing area, try to scan the other one and nothing, check and there's no barcode on it - oh dear.. and there's a queue behind me so I think to ask one of the assistants could maybe key in the product code for me - then realise oh right, the other packet is the same weight so I just take the first packet back, put the non-barcode one in the packing area and re-scan the first one again. Great succes.

Ever used the self-service in Lidl when you're buying something with the '30% cheaper' sticker on? I wouldn't recommend it.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: icehaven on June 04, 2018, 07:03:51 PM
Ever used the self-service in Lidl when you're buying something with the '30% cheaper' sticker on? I wouldn't recommend it.

They recently seem to have added a button to tell the machine it's got one of they stickers on it.

zomgmouse

Rocket Surgery

There's plenty of brandy in cherry brandy, as I've had a lot of fun discovering due to a 'reduced to clear' offer at Lidl.

No self-service checkouts at my local branch though, so I wasn't able to ring the bottles through as carrots. Dang.

pigamus

If a bus has a rear entrance, where do the hard kids sit?

zomgmouse