Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:42:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Obvious things you've only just realised (2018 Thread )

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, January 01, 2018, 11:08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

black_betty

'Inert' and 'inertia' have the same route. Probably - can someone check please, I'm very busy?

Hobo With A Shit Pun

Quote from: black_betty on June 05, 2018, 02:46:18 PM
'Inert' and 'inertia' have the same route. Probably - can someone check please, I'm very busy?

The first is where they bury you. The second is that bit of you that always feels like you rule Persia.

black_betty

Replies From View

Quote from: black_betty on June 05, 2018, 02:46:18 PM

I've checked and the word you're looking for is "root".

Hope this helped.

black_betty

No, it's made me feel very bad, but thanks - it's better to know.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

The Isle of Man isn't part of the UK, it's its own weird little thing.

momatt

Balthazar Getty is part of the Getty family (wealthy oil company family).  Son of Paul Getty III.

Only realised after watching Danny Boyle's Trust TV series.

kittens

Replies From View

And a LANDSCAPE puts a CAPE on a subject and then says no you can't fly, you have to stay on the LAND with it on.

The subject is naturally highly pissed off with this instruction, which is why they always fuck off out of the picture leaving just a view of the countryside or whatever.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: Replies From View on June 09, 2018, 08:59:09 AM
And a LANDSCAPE puts a CAPE on a subject and then says no you can't fly, you have to stay on the LAND with it on.

The subject is naturally highly pissed off with this instruction, which is why they always fuck off out of the picture leaving just a view of the countryside or whatever.

Oh my God, that explains the tiny room in the National Gallery that has all these portrait miniatures of 19th century dukes and farmers wearing picnic cloths and bedsheets around their necks looking really pissed off and some of them have their middle fingers up. I always wondered what that room was about.

Gregory Torso

On that matter, John Sergeant and John Constable are in no way related and as such should never be confused, even for weak comedic effect.

Gulftastic

In a Zombie uprising, Headingley Stadium complex would make an ideal place to take a stand. It's secure on all sides, has a large hotel as part of it, meaning there will be plenty of food, and one or both of the pitches could be easily tuned into farming/grazing land.

seepage

Quote from: Gulftastic on June 09, 2018, 05:56:35 PM
In a Zombie uprising, Headingley Stadium complex would make an ideal place to take a stand. It's secure on all sides, has a large hotel as part of it, meaning there will be plenty of food, and one or both of the pitches could be easily tuned into farming/grazing land.

What about Alesia, but with zombies?

Icehaven

In Family Guy Stewie's toy bear is called Rupert. Rupert Bear.

Ferris

A refugee is someone seeking refuge. Is someone who provides refuge a refuger?

Refuger/refugee like employer/employee?

Paul Calf

Quote from: buzby on May 30, 2018, 12:19:40 AM
Though it's got more in common with Visual Basic than C++. That does make it ridiculously easy to decomplie back to the source code in most cases though (and have a laugh at how badly it's been written).

Yeah, it fixes the horribly broken object model of C++

Why is it so easy to decompile Java?

Danger Man

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on June 09, 2018, 09:57:09 PM
A refugee is someone seeking refuge. Is someone who provides refuge a refuger?

Refuger/refugee like employer/employee?

A host

A hostage

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Paul Calf on June 09, 2018, 10:05:10 PM

Are you taking the piss?

It's because it's compiled into 'bytecode' innit?

olliebean

The stylised house graphics at the start of Friday Night Dinner are a faithful representation of the actual house in the programme, not just some generic stylised house.

idunnosomename

Quote from: thecuriousorange on June 04, 2018, 06:54:17 PM
God created Jesus to make the divine relatable for humans.
uh i know theology never goes down well on the internet but Christian theology says the trinity is eternal and the Son was never "created"

But yeah otherwise, generally, yeah, that's the point. Of the religion.

buzby

Quote from: Paul Calf on June 09, 2018, 10:05:10 PM

My original post was referring to C#, but it (like Java, as Mr.. Cobb has pointed out) is a semi-interpreted language (which is why you need the Java VM and the C# framework to run the executables). Unless you run your code through an obfuscator prior to compilation, it is a trivial matter to decompile the executable back into almost an identical copy of the source files it was compiled from.

I did this with a piece of commercial software written in C# we were supplying to our customers to find bugs as the company who wrote it seemed to have no idea what they were doing (it was largely students in their work placement year who were left to maintain the thing). I even rebuilt some of the executables and DLLs from the decompiled sourcecfiles with my own fixes for some of the show-stoppers in them while we were waiting for the supplier to sort it out.

Ornlu

olliebean

The uniforms in Star Trek: TNG are designed to make them all look unfeasibly broad-shouldered.

Gregory Torso

They say "bin lorry" now. They say "the bin lorry is coming". I was reading a Richard Scarry book with my son and there is the "garbage truck" and of course I say "that's not the right word, though, it's..." then my mind was a millpond without a ripple of recollection. I spoke to several people back home about "what do they call garbage trucks", and recieved lots of different answers, "the bins", "the dustcunts", "take-my-filth-away lorry", "rubbish truck", and finally we all settled on "bin lorry". I wonder what I used to say when I lived in the UK, "the bin men are coming" prbably.

Gregory Torso

"Bin lorry" just sounds so prosaic. Yeah yeah I s'pose it's a lorry, right, and it picks up the bins, yeah, bin lorry then.  Can't it be something better? Something like the FILTH COMET is coming. or the MUCK SHUTTLE. The SO SOLID WASTE CREW are coming! Get them fucking bins out to the pavement!

Gregory Torso

We used to have milk floats. There's a great word: milk float. That milk float, it lighter than air, it bump you up like a balloon. I'm riding the milk float tonight. Naked.

JesusAndYourBush