Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:11:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Obvious things you've only just realised (2018 Thread )

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, January 01, 2018, 11:08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

Spendthrift means someone who spends a lot, rather than someone who is very stingy, which I always thought it meant for some reason.

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 11, 2018, 06:42:12 AM
Spendthrift means someone who spends a lot, rather than someone who is very stingy, which I always thought it meant for some reason.

Because of the word "thrifty", I'd imagine.

Vodka Margarine

gilbertharding

Quote from: Replies From View on January 10, 2018, 12:47:20 PM
Fact:  Kellogg's is the only thing in the entire universe since time began that is spelled like that.

Mind-blowing isn't it.

That is the only thing in the universe that is spelled like that.

Replies From View

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 11, 2018, 10:16:07 AM
That is the only thing in the universe that is spelled like that.

That is not spelled like that; it is that.

Serge

In the scene at the picnic site in 'Father Ted' when Arthur Matthews plays the angry man who has to replace swearwords with soundalikes ("fupp off", etc), when he calls Ted a 'pedrophile' at the end, it's actually a specific insult because Ted is a Catholic priest rather than just being a random bit of abuse.

kalowski

Quote from: Replies From View on January 11, 2018, 07:44:33 AM
Because of the word "thrifty", I'd imagine.
Yes. They spend the savings of thrift. That's what it says in my Chambers.

Icehaven

Replies From View

Quote from: icehaven on January 16, 2018, 07:34:44 AM
S Club 7 and Steps aren't the same band.

Did they play any instruments?  If not I can't go with the definition of "band".

'H' from Steps / S Club 7 didn't wear an H on his forehead like Rimmer in Red Dwarf.

But when you look back at your vague memories of Steps / S Club 7, he definitely did.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Replies From View on January 16, 2018, 08:20:17 AM
Did they play any instruments?  If not I can't go with the definition of "band".

Do you think the Flying Pickets weren't a band?

Icehaven

Ok;

S Club 7 and Steps aren't the same troupe/gathering/crew/combo/ensemble/coterie/mob/league/horde (delete as appropriate)

I'm going with horde. S Horde 7.

Dr Syntax Head

Dr Syntax Head

Surely the definition of band is a group of people who make music?

Replies From View

Quote from: (Ex poster) on January 16, 2018, 11:49:59 AM
Aren't voices instruments?

Not when it's the like of S Club 7 and Steps.  There is an undefinable line they cross where you just know their voices are not instruments and they are not bands.

Gulftastic

You were probably confused because there was period around the turn of the millennium when it seemed like they took turns appearing on SM:TV each week.

checkoutgirl

Okay but we're allowed to ignore you on this, yeah?

checkoutgirl

They have different band names for a start. Different songs. They looked like different people and finally Steps had 5 people in their band whereas S Club 7 had 7 members in their  band.

Pretty obvious they are different bands and not the same band so perfect for this thread. 10/10. Would read again.

Replies From View

Quote from: checkoutgirl on January 16, 2018, 12:59:49 PM
Okay but we're allowed to ignore you on this, yeah?

Definitely not, I'm afraid.  Boyzone might be your very very favourite but you can't go calling them a band.

Replies From View

Quote from: checkoutgirl on January 16, 2018, 01:12:43 PM
They have different band names for a start. Different songs. They looked like different people and finally Steps had 5 people in their band whereas S Club 7 had 7 members in their  band.

S Club 7 means Steps Club 7 so it's an understandable confusion.

Replies From View

pancreas

Replies From View, please stop telling lies to checkoutgirl. Can't you see it's upsetting him?

Replies From View

Quote from: pancreas on January 16, 2018, 01:53:54 PM
Replies From View, please stop telling lies to checkoutgirl. Can't you see it's upsetting him?

But sir, he does love Boyzone, he told me earlier.

And he is lying when he says I don't prefer The Cock Piss 6, because he wants everyone to not know that I am the coolest one.

Icehaven

Quote from: Gulftastic on January 16, 2018, 12:52:57 PM
You were probably confused because there was period around the turn of the millennium when identically shitty sounding music was blasted through your halls of residence and every Friday night in the SU bar and if you asked anyone ''what is this total crap?'' was always either S Club 7 or Steps. 

More like.

Icehaven

Quote from: checkoutgirl on January 16, 2018, 01:12:43 PM

Pretty obvious they are different bands and not the same band so perfect for this thread. 10/10. Would read again.

Their songs and faces are not different. I have no idea how many people were in either band, and don't give me ''Durr, S Club 7'' when there's been Alabama 3, Blink 182, Ben Folds Five and Matchbox Twenty. Different band names fair enough, but that's what finally made me realise they were two separate bands, you see?

checkoutgirl

Quote from: pancreas on January 16, 2018, 01:53:54 PM

Shut your fucking mouth.

Replies From View

checkoutgirl's favourite music groups in order of preference:

1) Boyzone
2) Bros
3) Blue
4) 2Unlimited (he only knows the No Limit tune, but he listens to it so often that it comes at number 4)
5) The male half of ABBA (he has custom-made mixes with the women faded out)

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Replies From View on January 16, 2018, 03:39:44 PM
checkoutgirl's favourite music groups in order of preference:

1) Boyzone
2) Bros
3) Blue
4) 2Unlimited (he only knows the No Limit tune, but he listens to it so often that it comes at number 4)
5) The male half of ABBA (he has custom-made mixes with the women faded out)

You're in fucking trouble now.

Replies From View