Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:56:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tennis 2018

Started by selectivememory, January 01, 2018, 04:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deanjam

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 14, 2018, 03:04:04 PM
Benneteau's year, surely!

Another great effort, but beaten by the clown. C'est la vie.

Deanjam

Care Bear takes out the trash.

selectivememory

Love seeing Kerber playing this well. Only major winner left in the draw now, and has got to be close to the favourite for the title in this form.

Less happy about Berdych thrashing Del Potro...

Also, Zverev disappoints in a major yet again. Won two Masters but has yet to make QF in a slam.

rjd2

All up to Caroline to get it done for France.

Love Chung fun player so happy to see him through.

Sad to see Del P go but ah well.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Deanjam on January 20, 2018, 07:52:44 AM
Another great effort, but beaten by the clown. C'est la vie.

Ooooh la la. Boom Boom Boom. All the French out in one foul swoop except Garcia. Fuck sake, zero balls.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: rjd2 on January 20, 2018, 09:58:24 AM
All up to Caroline to get it done for France.

Love Chung fun player so happy to see him through.

Sad to see Del P go but ah well.

Same old same old - looking forward to the return of Bartoli and the greatest sporting comeback since....Williams Un et Deux.

selectivememory

Edmund beats Seppi in four sets. Into his first ever major quarterfinal, and he'll play the winner of Kyrgios-Dimitrov.

Nadal-Cilic is the other quarterfinal in that half of the draw. First top 20 opponent that Nadal has faced in a slam for quite some time.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Look at the number of clean winners he hit. Pretty good.

selectivememory

Thiem is out, and Djokovic is two sets down against Chung (although his injury looks like it's been an important factor in that match).

Draw is shaping up very nicely for Federer, yet again. Although his next opponent is Berdych who is playing well and has occasionally caused him trouble in the majors in the past.

selectivememory

Djokovic gone then. Men's quarterfinal line-up:

Nadal - Cilic
Dimitrov - Edmund

Federer - Berdych
Chung - Sandgren

And the women's:

Wozniacki - Suarez Navarro
Svitolina - Mertens

Keys - Kerber
Halep - Pliskova/Strycova

BlodwynPig

Miraculously shite. Federer vs. Nadal, Halep vs. Wozniacki. Same old same old.

Tennys Sandgren should win this thing.

selectivememory

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 22, 2018, 12:28:04 PM
Miraculously shite. Federer vs. Nadal, Halep vs. Wozniacki. Same old same old.

Tennys Sandgren should win this thing.

Women's side looks strong to me. Halep, Kerber, Keys, Pliskova, Wozniacki and Svitolina all still in it. Only one of those has ever won a major, so it's hardly same old same old.

Unless Dimitrov goes all the way though, it's hard to see much to get excited about on the men's side. Chung seems like an interesting prospect though. Couple of great wins this week.

rjd2

women side has been great, very open, no interest in a federer v nadal final though.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: selectivememory on January 22, 2018, 01:10:43 PM
Women's side looks strong to me. Halep, Kerber, Keys, Pliskova, Wozniacki and Svitolina all still in it. Only one of those has ever won a major, so it's hardly same old same old.

Unless Dimitrov goes all the way though, it's hard to see much to get excited about on the men's side. Chung seems like an interesting prospect though. Couple of great wins this week.

If it wasn't for Williams, most of those would have a couple of slams. I'm only interested in French slam winners, so don't listen to me.

Deanjam

Edmund beats Dimitrov to make the semis. Amazing.

biggytitbo

Edmund in the semis, who needs Andy Murray?

Well no offense to Edmunds but the fact he's in the semis says a lot about men's tennis right now, feels like we're just waiting for the inevitable Federer Nadal final, and if it snot both of them it'll be one of them and an easy win.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Fucking hell

Did not expect

rjd2

That's a shocker from Grigor. Beats Kyrigos and this bollocks.

I know "the whole world" wants Nadal v Feder part 2334 in the final, but give us Edmund v Chung instead please.

buttgammon

Great stuff! Edmund beating Dimitrov - what next, Edmonds beating Lloyds?

selectivememory

Wow. Did not see that coming at all!

Quote from: rjd2 on January 23, 2018, 08:05:22 AM
I know "the whole world" wants Nadal v Feder part 2334 in the final, but give us Edmund v Chung instead please.

Yes, I'd love that. I'm a bit late to it, but I'm on the Chung bandwagon now. He was simply amazing against Djokovic yesterday.

selectivememory

Nadal out!

Injured, but Cilic was playing well. Definitely good news for Edmund.

rjd2

Oh God
Flashbacks of Federer v Cilic Wimbledon final.

Deanjam

Should be Fed's 20th slam now, but the Tour finals showed nothing is certain.

biggytitbo

I'm sticking with my theory involving the Swiss mafia. By the US open Federer will only be required to beat a balloon on a stick in the final after all the men's top 100 succumb to various mysterious accidents.

Deanjam

No mafia needed. Fed's style of play in relation the the other big guns is enough to ensure he'll stay a stronger contender than them. They're victims of their own styles. The problem is the rubbish next gens failing to step up.

selectivememory

Thing is, as bad as Cilic was in that Wimbledon final, we know he is capable of blasting Federer off the court if he's in the right mood. Wouldn't be surprised if he won the whole thing, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he went out limply to Edmund in the next round. Still, I think he's made enough semifinals now that he looks less an anomalous major champion than he did when he won the US Open. Definitely a better player than people give him credit for. Just never quite had the consistency, although has been much stronger in the last couple of years.

It is frustrating how that middle generation of players keep disappointing though (this week I'm thinking Goffin and Dimitrov in particular), but it's a shame that the two strongest of them - Raonic and Nishikori - have struggled so much with injury. I think it's fair to start expecting more of Thiem now as well, although I think Zverev deserves some time, and I've been pretty encouraged by what I've seen of Kyrgios so far this year. Hopefully his ranking will rise and he'll get better draws as the year goes on.

I'd quite like to see how Chung shapes up against Fed if they both make the semis. He's very much modelled his game on Djokovic, which has probably been Fed's worst match-up in recent years, so it could be interesting if the occasion doesn't get to Chung.

Deanjam

Teams for Spain v GBR davis cup match next week.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

selectivememory

Ha. I was beginning to think that Keys was in with a great chance at this tournament, but Kerber has utterly destroyed her there. Basically hers to lose. The only way she doesn't win the title now is if her level drops considerably.