Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 11:50:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tennis 2018

Started by selectivememory, January 01, 2018, 04:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

Serena reveals herself to be the awful bully she has always being, and the deserving winner gets overshadowed by her tantrum.

Honestly, at this stage I just wish Williams and Federer would fuck off, they have both massively over stayed their welcome.

Deanjam

Did she really say this?

Quote'You are attacking my character and you owe me an apology. You are a liar. You will never umpire on a court of mine as long as you live. Give me my apology. You stole a point from me and you're thief too.'

selectivememory

Yep. And a lot more on top of that.

This trophy presentation is painful to watch. Crowd have been terrible. Completely ruined the moment for Osaka.

Deanjam

Quote from: selectivememory on September 08, 2018, 11:00:41 PM
This trophy presentation is painful to watch. Crowd have been terrible. Completely ruined the moment for Osaka.

The US open crowd gets worse every year. Happy to have missed it this year.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Glad that side of Serena came out again. The recent love-in has been Lewis Hamilton-esque conceitedness. Ultimately she's still an emotional infant just like she is, propped up by motivational slogans and insane levels of self-drive.

Watched Jimmy Anderson at the cricket abuse an umpire today, he's 37 so it shows age is no sign of maturity.

Z

Quote from: BlodwynPig on September 08, 2018, 10:36:57 PM
Dickhead serena losing all post baby goodwill
Looking at twitter she isn't losing a bit of it. The "men can do this so why can't I?" bit getting loads of positive spin.

She got the game deduction for  throwing her weight around though, I assume? the "you'll never work here again" part.

rjd2

Quote from: Z on September 08, 2018, 11:06:25 PM
Looking at twitter she isn't losing a bit of it. The "men can do this so why can't I?" bit getting loads of positive spin.

She got the game deduction for  throwing her weight around though, I assume? the "you'll never work here again" part.

If anything this will probably help the Serena brand more.

"Old  racist sexist white man ruins it for working Black Mother" etc.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

My ancestors died for the right to lower the tone to the point they used to despise!

bgmnts

Men play two extra sets so have the right to be cunty to the official.

Deanjam

Anyway, happy for Osaka. She's very a likeable player - and lost amid the nonsense, the first Japanese major singles winner. If Delpo wins tomorrow, we'll have eight different slam singles winners in 2018. Cool.

Paulie's not even on the thread, to be fair.

rjd2

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on September 08, 2018, 11:28:50 PM

I'm not going to be someone who suggests racism doesn't exist because it clearly does. , but Serena threatening an umpire and having a massive tantrum and getting punished isn't sexism or racism. Its just a talented lass who has form when it comes to these sort of things acting horrible and getting punished for it.

People saying the men do it, what have been similar recent melt downs which have not been punished as severely?

Kyrigos who has acted a dick has he ever gone that far and he is widely considered as the most volatile male player on the circuit.

lankyguy95

Laughable reaction from those claiming she's the victim here. Multiple code violations, ending in verbal abuse. There's no way she didn't realise what affect that would have on the crowd either.

Serena's an incredible athlete but that meltdown was inexcusable.

She's a complete piece of shit. Amazing career, amazing athlete, amazing achievements, inadvertently an inspiration to many - and also a piece of shit. The sexism invocation is horrible button pushing to disingenuously turn this away from what it really is - a colossal, fragile ego on the way down.

Moribunderast

It's been a long time since I've watched tennis - do players normally get penalised when they throw their racket? Having just watched the tantrum, it seemed like both umpire and Serena were being dicks. Seemed like she was being harshly penalised but she was also saying stupid entitled things like "You'll never be on my court again"... Eh, I probably shouldn't wade in, being quite ignorant of tennis and not knowing much about Serena... is she known as an entitled bully?

buntyman

Yup players always get a warning for smashing their racket and Williams smashed hers with the knowledge she was already on a warning, harsh or otherwise, for the coaching infringement. If it had been the other way around I think she'd have more grounds for complaint. Anyway, she was playing pretty badly and the disgraceful outbursts were clearly to deflect away from that.
Without wishing to defend Williams in any way, I thought the game deduction was a bit much though and I don't think it would have ended with such a horrible atmosphere had it just played out with Osaka picking up her last couple of service games.

monolith

What a twat she is. Congrats to Osaka (who would have won comfortably anyway and probably took more guts to win after what Serena did and not get distracted by it).

Dex Sawash

Wife says Serena told crowd to stop being cunts at the awards in a way that seemed ok to her. Wife is a Williams fart sniffer though and I was out.

monolith

Quote from: Dex Sawash on September 09, 2018, 09:22:03 AM
Wife says Serena told crowd to stop being cunts at the awards in a way that seemed ok to her. Wife is a Williams fart sniffer though and I was out.
That's like telling people to stop pissing on someone after you've all been pissing on them for half an hour. They still stink of your piss because you have in fact pissed on them.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Moribunderast on September 09, 2018, 06:09:12 AM
Eh, I probably shouldn't wade in, being quite ignorant of tennis and not knowing much about Serena... is she known as an entitled bully?

2009: Serena argued briefly, went back to the service line then directed a venomous rant at the offending lineswoman including a threat to "shove this ball down your throat."

2011: An angry Williams - who confused Asderaki with the umpire who was in the chair for the 2009 Clijsters match - verbally attacked her during the changeover.

"If you ever see me walking down the hall, look the other way," she said. "Because you're out of control. You're out of control. Totally out of control. You're a hater and you're just ... unattractive inside. Who would do such a thing? And I never complain. Wow. What a loser. You give a code violation because I expressed who I am? We're in America last I checked."

these are just the US Open

She's a trailblazer. Never before in history has a black female sports star had the opportunity to be such a vile bully, so she's inspiring women all around the world.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Off to bed

Hopefully wake up and see Djokovic lost in 5 sets. Haha.

selectivememory

Good final. Sad for Del Potro, but Djokovic was just way too good.

Dex Sawash

Serena had a shit on the court at halftime tonight

Serena came off looking like a horrible fool, but the umpire deserves more blame for turning this into a story and overshadowing the women's championship. When the call is a full game penalty in the decisive set of a major final, he needed to restrain himself no matter how objectively warranted a penalty was there.

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on September 08, 2018, 11:28:50 PM

DEY IS ALL RACITSSS!1!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Isner x Mahut about to become one of those oddities like timeless tests that the remaining people alive in 2080 shake their heads at, those quaint millennials.

Yep. Tiebreaks in the fifth set.

Fucking bullshit. Make them play forever if required.

Cuellar

Deanjam

Cuellar

Couldn't they do 'no tie breaks in the 5th' in Finals only?

A bit rum for some poor sod to go to 60 games in their semi when the other guy/woman wins in straight sets. Wouldn't mind seeing epic 5th sets when the title was on the line.