Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:32:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tennis 2018

Started by selectivememory, January 01, 2018, 04:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjd2

This is textbook Berdych, plays nicely to get to the quarter final,,has chances against Federer in the quarter final and ultimately loses comfortably. Fuck the fuck off please.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

What a match, the real women's final going on this morning

selectivememory

Very happy with that result, although it's great to see Kerber playing so well again.

Really hope that Halep can win it on Sunday.

selectivememory

Chung having a shocker here unfortunately. Both men's semifinals have been pretty underwhelming. Hoping Cilic can make a match of it in the final.

rjd2

Aussie Open 2017 was great, since then we have had Federer and Nadal cruise to Grand Slam wins without breaking sweat. Its been really fucking boring. . Hopefully Cilic offers something in the final, because another Wimbledon final like last year nobody needs to see.

The ladies side thankfully has been much more intriguing since then and yet again much more exciting matches from them this time round.

biggytitbo

Quote from: selectivememory on January 26, 2018, 09:32:32 AM
Chung having a shocker here unfortunately. Both men's semifinals have been pretty underwhelming. Hoping Cilic can make a match of it in the final.

No chance he will even make it to the end, i'd be surprised if he makes it to the stadium. Car crash, amoebic dysentery, savaged by a lion, loses all his rackets, something like that.

monolith

If it's not going to be a competitive final then the least that Federer can do is beat Cilic so badly that he cries again.

BlodwynPig

selectivememory

Excellent first set in this final. Halep has already come through a pretty gruelling draw, so I don't know how likely she is to win from a set down with Wozniacki playing so well. Seems really difficult for either of them to hit winners in this match-up.

selectivememory

One set all. Halep looks like she's got some physical issues though. Wozniacki should win it from here, but she did fall apart a bit in that second set when Halep started to struggle.

selectivememory

Well, I feel like questions about Halep's mentality in the big matches have been answered tonight, even if she loses this match, as she's been running on fumes for almost the last hour. But this is a shocker for Wozniacki if she can't close this out.

selectivememory

Wozniacki wins! Great final, but a tough draw caught up with Halep in the end.

Deanjam

Happy for Woz after all the nonsense she got for daring to get to number one without winning a slam. Still confident Halep will end up with multilple majors by the time she's done.

selectivememory

Quote from: rjd2 on January 26, 2018, 09:35:18 AM
Hopefully Cilic offers something in the final, because another Wimbledon final like last year nobody needs to see.

Oh dear...

Edit: In fairness to Cilic, he has improved a lot in the last half hour, after a dreadful start to the match.

selectivememory

Nice one Cilic. Thought this was going to be done within 90 minutes, but he's well in this match now.

In other news, apparently Halep was admitted to hospital last night and treated for dehydration. She was struggling from midway through the second set, so it's amazing that she managed to make the match so close in the end.

selectivememory

Cilic fighting back well in this set, but Christ his backhand has been a liability in this match. If that shot was on he'd be well on top.

selectivememory

This match is completely about Marin Cilic now. All over Federer at the moment. If he holds his nerve then he wins this. Huge "if", obviously.

selectivememory

Well, Cilic played very well for two sets, but he should have broken Federer at the start of this set and it's all fallen apart since then. Still, a much better showing for him than in the Wimbledon final.

Deanjam

#20 for Fed. Happy days.

Quote from: selectivememory on January 28, 2018, 11:35:43 AM
Well, Cilic played very well for two sets, but he should have broken Federer at the start of this set and it's all fallen apart since then. Still, a much better showing for him than in the Wimbledon final.

Aye. I was worried at the end of the fourth.

rjd2

Cilics career in a nutshell there.

Deanjam

Bernard Tomic is doing I'm a celeb Australia. How embarrassing.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Deanjam on January 28, 2018, 12:25:33 PM
Bernard Tomic is doing I'm a celeb Australia. How embarrassing.

where does that take place? Scunthorpe?

Deanjam

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 28, 2018, 02:12:02 PM
where does that take place? Scunthorpe?

It ought to do, to be fair. It's somewhere in Africa.

FredNurke

I suppose it'll be a nice change from counting his millions. Is it too much to hope he gets gangrene?

Deanjam

He's already been bitten by a snake, so there's a chance.

selectivememory

Lol, what a fucking plum. I hope the next time Kyrgios feels like tanking a match he thinks about Tomic and shudders.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Must be weird for Murray to think some mid thirties has been has collected the same number of grand slams in the last 12 months he has in his career.

The gap in ruthlessness between Murray and Federer is enormous. As with most top British athletes they regard the top as the summit not a residence.

Biggy will obviously look to underplay Federer's achievements as always but he has played the part of a worthy champion, been tested by a man who should theoretically be in his prime in sapping conditions, and prevailed once again.

biggytitbo

As great an achievement as it is you can't ignore the fact we're in this almost unprecedented era where all of the other top players are either out completely or suffering long term injuries. The quality left, well the fact Federer's semi final opponent was ranked in the 50s and couldn't even make it 2 sets without getting injured says it all. Didn't Fed have two players retire against him in one of the slams last year, amazing.

monolith

I suppose can make a case for downplaying Federer's achievements. You can talk about his inferior record against Nadal or that he has won some of his grand slams due to other top players being injured.

But you're not a tennis fan if you watch him play for ten minutes and aren't in awe.

And the most important head to head that everyone will remember currently stands at 20-16.