Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:26:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tennis 2018

Started by selectivememory, January 01, 2018, 04:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

You have to admire the way he's managed his career since that point 2 or 3 years ago where he was regularly losing in the earlier rounds of slams. Unlike all the other players he has ruthlessly rationed his tennis time, even going as far as choosing to miss slams by choice, to keep himself fresh and injury free. And its worked, whilst everyone else nurses their shattered bodies, he's mopping up against the also rans that remain.

Deanjam

Big win for Cameron Norrie over Roberto Bautista Agut on the clay in Davis Cup, coming from 2 sets down. If Murray/Inglot can win tomorrow then Edmund may return on sunday to lead GB to a glorious win!

Or maybe not. At least there's a chance now.

Deanjam

Fed now the oldest number one in history, beating Andre Agassi. Probably won't hold it long as he has 2000 points to defend next month, but a great achievement.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Yeah, fortunate timing but difficult to argue with.

Nobody Soup

I think what a lot of people overlook with federer because he's such a graceful, stylish player, is that he's tactically the best ever by absolute fucking miles. As soon Djokovic broke out he was an also-ran, and there is a fair argument to be made that he piled up the slams when the going was good and when we genuinely entered the most competitive era of tennis in history he wasn't really able to keep the pace. he trails nadal and djokovic in head to heads and has even failed to pick up as many masters titles as them.

but he's just so bloody good at maximising any opportunity and playing the perfect match. in his most dominant period he really wasn't relying on playing stunning tennis, he relied on near perfect point construction. I remember being fed up of him 2005 and 2006 because it was clinical, not breathtaking. when nadal, djokovic and to a lesser exctent murray put a spanner in the works by throwing out all the rules on how to win a point by turning high pressure matches into ludicrous demonstrations of creativity and athleticism he definitely struggled.

but, 6 years past, opportunity presented itself again and he was able to captalise on it. I seriously wouldn't be surprised if he's been managing his career for the last 3 years expecting this to happen.

and fair enough, as much as you can make arguments about head to heads and stuff it's winning the big ones that matters, and the other guys don't come close in that regard. everything else is just a quirky chink in the armour that maaaaybe leaves the door open for someone else to lay claim to the best ever 50 years down the line, his case for the best ever right now is water tight.

FredNurke

The achievements of the other three have come at a cost: they overclocked their bodies in order to play the way they did, and they're all paying the price. Murray won't be competitive ever again, he may not even play again, and I'm beginning to have doubts about Djokovic. Nadal's longevity has surprised me, but he'd be long gone too if he hadn't finally seen sense and muscled down.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

If Djoko and Murray can't recover and Nadal while good and a fave for the French has lost a bit of his cutting edge, then Federer has another 4/5 slams where he has a very good shout if he is only asked to beat Cilic standard players.

You wonder about his longevity from here given the dramatic tail off of Tommy Haas when he came back after injury. Late thirties is a body management job. If Federer tries to remain number one he could end up playing too much tennis.

bgmnts

How come there hasn't been one inkling of him being on the roids?

He must be on some kind of performance enhancer, to dominate his sport for almost two decades, surely?

Deanjam

Quote from: bgmnts on February 20, 2018, 06:07:40 PM

Because he isn't?

It's possible of course. He and anyone else could be. The thing is he isn't winning matches because of his endurance levels or power, he's winning because he's clearly a better shot maker and more balanced mover than everyone else currently on tour.

There are other clear factors that are helping Fed stay on top too. His serve, a perfect weapon for older players, meaning lots of cheap points. A larger racquet and more aggresive backhand leading him to use the slice less, therefore shorten ralleys. The average Fed 5 setter lasts barely 3 hours, white Nadal/Djokovic/Murray can go 4-5 hours (even over 6 on one occasion). That's why Fed's body has held up better than his rivals.

Deanjam

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 20, 2018, 06:01:21 PM
You wonder about his longevity from here given the dramatic tail off of Tommy Haas when he came back after injury. Late thirties is a body management job. If Federer tries to remain number one he could end up playing too much tennis.

To be fair Haas has had surgery at least 3 times in his career. Don't remember Fed having any. I don't see him changing his schedule to stay number one either, especially after what happened to Murray. This number one ranking is a bonus at this stage of his career, for me he's aiming for the highest slam count possible.

Nobody Soup

Quote from: bgmnts on February 20, 2018, 06:07:40 PM

He must be on some kind of performance enhancer, to dominate his sport for almost two decades, surely?

if anyone's on them it's the guy that used to whine about injuries and respiratory problems before becoming an absolute machine "because of a gluten free diet" and was winning 5 setters in consecutive days.

mentioning no names of course.

Head Gardener

Deanjam

Nadal out of Indian Wells and Miami.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Deanjam on March 03, 2018, 01:43:06 AM
Nadal out of Indian Wells and Miami.

There are other players out there. Why has the BBC got this front and centre and not any news of any of the current tournaments, such as Pouille and Bautista reaching the Dubai final? (p.s. I know the answer). Allez!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I look forward to seeing the crippled, infirm Djokovic, Murray and Nadal being wheeled out as legend stardust for ceremonies, in five years.

rjd2

Naomi Osaka is awesome, pleasing that she won IW. Del Potro v Federer final was also superb.

selectivememory

Yep, happy with both winners at Indian Wells. Would be great to see Delpo challenge Federer consistently this year, because it doesn't look like anyone is going to.

selectivememory

Isner winning a Masters feels like a real low point for men's tennis.

Deanjam

Nadal loses on clay for the first time in 35 years. Thiem with the win. Good boost for him before Roland Garros. With 2 semis in the last 2 years there, he may be the only decent challenge Nadal has.

Fed back at number one.

selectivememory

Thiem vs Anderson and Shapovalov vs Zverev. Not a bad semifinal lineup at all, pretty happy with any of those winning it. Would very much like to see a Thiem-Shap final. And Thiem really should be winning Masters titles by now.

Very good win for him today, especially considering his recent form which has been quite poor compared to the same time last year, but no one's beating Rafa at Roland Garros unless he's crocked. He just always turns it up a notch there. If he was out of the picture though, it could be one of the most open majors in a long time. Nishikori would be in the mix as well - as he seems to be coming back well from his injury problems of last year.

Nice to see Kvitova make the final. I think it would be her biggest title since returning after that attack.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Just starting to see a changing of the guard now, I reckon. This is Edmund's big chance, next few years to be among them in the decade to come.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Kvitova wins Madrid again. And Prague (more predictably).

Konta has her in the first round of the masters which is bad shit.

rjd2

She would never do it, but could make an argument for Konta sacking of the Clay season and focusing on grass, she is horrific on the surface, genuinely is a waste of time for her.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 13, 2018, 12:14:21 AM
Kvitova wins Madrid again. And Prague (more predictably).

Konta has her in the first round of the masters which is bad shit.

Shame for the aussie-Magyar but she's turned to shit recently so not bothered

DrGreggles

Quote from: Deanjam on May 11, 2018, 06:27:31 PM
Fed back at number one.

He's like Bryan fucking Adams!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

More good stuff from Edmund, getting to the breakthrough point where you actually expect him to be beating certain journeymen and driftwood in the top 40.

Also if he can make his big forehand count on clay that's really encouraging for the hard courts and Wimbledon. Could be a big few months.

selectivememory

Well up for a Nadal-Djokovic tussle in the Rome semis tomorrow. I've missed that rivalry. Hopefully Djokovic can play half decently. His results are slowly improving, and the grit seems to be returning to his game now, although he's still got a way to go to get the consistency back. Don't see him beating Nadal on clay just yet, but it would be great to see him hitting some proper form in the second half of the year, especially if Murray's comeback is delayed even further.

Not liking Sharapova's progress in the tournament though. Hopefully the winner of the Garcia-Halep match can take her out tomorrow.

selectivememory

Zverev just took a set off Rafa 6-1.

Regardless of whether he wins this match, he's pretty much established himself as the best player over three sets in the last 12 months (this is his fifth Masters final out of the last ten). If he could figure out how to play this well over five sets, he could easily be #1 by the end of the year. Especially with both Rafa and Roger defending loads of points in the upcoming majors.

bgmnts

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2018/may/23/roger-federer-serena-williams-greatest-ever-tennis-player

How is this even possible when women play fewer sets?

Should females have to play a 5 set game? Its a cardio thing, surelt women can play 5 sets. Let's face it the Williams sisters would probably smash the men's game as well.