Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:47:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Films (2018 Edition)

Started by Phil_A, January 01, 2018, 07:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil_A

Molly's Game. Aaron Sorkin's debut as director, the story of a former Olympic skier who ends up running high stakes poker games for the Hollywood elite.

The dialogue is as snappy and on point as you'd expect from Sorkin, but ultimately I'm not sure how the film expected us to feel about Molly and what she did, and the ending was a big "so what?" Also if the film was trying to drop hints as to the real identities of the famous types hanging out at the games I'm not sure I was picking up on it. I've no idea which well-known actor Michael Cera was substituting for, strange bit of miscasting there.

Jessica Chastain is great in the lead (although I will never not get her mixed-up in my head with Bryce Dallas Howard), a confident, charismatic performance, but Idris Elba really needs a better dialogue coach though as his American accent is still quite bad. It seemed like every other vowel was pure Hackney.