Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 10:04:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Slender Man

Started by Mini, January 05, 2018, 10:13:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mini

The Slender Man trailer is out and the father of a girl involved in one of the attacks inspired by the character has criticised the project - from The Guardian:

QuoteThe father of a girl who violently attacked a classmate after being inspired by the fictional character Slender Man has criticized a new horror film of the same name as being "extremely distasteful".

Bill Weier, whose 12-year-old daughter, Anissa, stabbed another girl with the help of a friend, has spoken out about the forthcoming Sony Pictures release Slender Man, after a trailer was released online.

"It's absurd they want to make a movie like this," he told the Associated Press. "It's popularizing a tragedy, is what it's doing. I'm not surprised, but in my opinion it's extremely distasteful. All we're doing is extending the pain all three of these families have gone through."

Weier's daughter, now 16, was sentenced to 25 years in a mental institution last month. She claimed that the attack was to please Slender Man, a character created in 2009 by Eric Knudsen as part of a Photoshop contest. The victim, Payton Leutner, survived the attack.

It's unclear as to whether Sony's film, released in May, will include details from the case although the trailer features schoolgirls haunted by the figure and one stabbing herself in the eye. It is from the film-maker Sylvain White, whose credits also include the slasher sequel I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer.

I don't know much about Slender Man but I can tell you that the trailer looks shit (albeit better than The Bye Bye Man).

Noodle Lizard

I don't think it's "popularizing a tragedy" to make a fictional movie about a pre-existing fictional character that has basically become part of contemporary folklore.  It's especially odd to make that accusation when there already exists that dreadful HBO documentary about the associated murder, which I would argue came close to actively romanticizing the murderers and "the legend" that inspired them.  I believe Bill was heavily featured in that one.

Mini

Yeah it's an odd one. Unless it's actually about the real attack, which I don't think it is, I don't really see how it's distasteful.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on January 05, 2018, 11:27:38 AM
I don't think it's "popularizing a tragedy"

No, it's definitely not. It's just one guy adversely affected by a character saying his piece.

popcorn

Off-topic, but I've just come back from a meeting with a TV producer who'd asked me to write a treatment for a TV series based on a real-life murder case. She had given me explicit instructions not to stray too far from the facts and specifically told me "no inventing stuff for crazy twists".

She had a lot of problems with my treatment, which is par for the course, but when it became clear we had dramatically different imaginings of the project, I asked her what she had in mind instead. Her pitch added a completely fictional private eye character, who - in a shock twist - turns out to have been the real killer. This for a series based on a real, actual, recent murder case. Like, using the names of real people and everything. The murderer, the actual guy who did it, is in jail right now.

When I pointed out that this seemed to go against her original instructions, she said, "No, if we said the white girl who was killed was black, for example, that would be too much, but this is different, it's story."

This woman has her own Wikipedia page and has made stuff you've heard of. Showbiz people are fucking mental.

bgmnts

Quote from: popcorn on January 05, 2018, 04:41:53 PM
When I pointed out that this seemed to go against her original instructions, she said, "No, if we said the white girl who was killed was black, for example, that would be too much, but this is different, it's story."

Well yeah, duh.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Does whatever a slender can.

Replies From View

Replies From View

QuoteThe father of a girl who violently attacked a classmate after being inspired by the fictional character Slender Man has criticized a new horror film of the same name as being "extremely distasteful".

Bill Weier, whose 12-year-old daughter, Anissa, stabbed another girl with the help of a friend, has spoken out about the forthcoming Sony Pictures release Slender Man, after a trailer was released online.

"It's absurd they want to make a movie like this," he told the Associated Press. "It's popularizing a tragedy, is what it's doing. I'm not surprised, but in my opinion it's extremely distasteful. All we're doing is extending the pain all three of these families have gone through."

Having a daughter who stabbed a classmate contributed slightly to the situation as well, though.

Spoon of Ploff

Twed

If he really wants to shut the movie down he should just stay "the trailer gave me very stabby thoughts. Must be genetic."

Mini

The Slender Man diet. Stab your way to thinness.

BritishHobo

It does look from the trailer, to be fair, like the filmmakers have added something to the 'mythos' inspired by the actual case. It makes a big show of the people being compelled by yer slender man to do things, like stab themselves in the eye. I don't remember that ever being a part of the story, it seems somewhat inspired by the claim of the two girls that 'Slender Man made us do it'.

They might as well fuckin make it. The whole idea was beaten to infinity not long after the original pictures anyway, and every new game or webseries has taken it further and further from a creepy idea and into just being ubiquitous shite.

SteveDave

I can't believe horror films are still doing the Jacob's Ladder shaky head thing.

Mr Brightside

This another one of them Marvel films?

Replies From View

Quote from: BritishHobo on January 07, 2018, 06:10:05 PM
It does look from the trailer, to be fair, like the filmmakers have added something to the 'mythos' inspired by the actual case. It makes a big show of the people being compelled by yer slender man to do things, like stab themselves in the eye.

I once tried to inhale the plastic innards of a Kinder Egg due to a Slenderman.  So there is some truth to it.

Replies From View

Quote from: Mr Brightside on January 08, 2018, 11:32:58 AM
This another one of them Marvel films?

Yes, part of the exslendered universe.

Glebe

Just saw this tonight (I was too late for Ant Man and the Wasp, and I fancied going to the pictures, so I plumped for this), a pretty frustrating watch, it threatens to break out of the generic commercial horror mould on occasion, and there are a few atmospheric, creepy bits, but it's all a bit clunky and the ending is guff.

Phil_A

In the Red Letter Media review of this they reckon the film was massively re-cut to remove anything that was too similar to the real-life Slender-stabbing incident, and then possibly further cut to remove any gore so it could pass for a lower rating. Which might explain why the final product is so toothless and full of plot-holes.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Phil_A on August 25, 2018, 08:21:43 AM
...and then possibly further cut to remove any gore so it could pass for a lower rating...

That's not conjecture.  That's fact.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: St_Eddie on August 26, 2018, 07:38:14 PM
That's not conjecture.  That's fact.

Put this on my tombstone.

Mini

Saw this last night, what a stultifyingly dull botch job. My review: https://screengoblin.com/2018/08/31/slender-man/

St_Eddie

Quote from: Mini on August 31, 2018, 10:15:07 AM
Saw this last night, what a stultifyingly dull botch job. My review: https://screengoblin.com/2018/08/31/slender-man/

Another class review.

I may as well provide an obligatory link to Adam's YMS review whilst I'm here.

Bhazor

Mainstream horror has just turned to complete shit hasn't it?

Mini

Quote from: Bhazor on August 31, 2018, 11:49:40 AM

I think so. At least the trash from the 80s has some semblance of hokey charm. I can't imagine what anyone would get out of watching an Insidious movie 30 years from now.   

St_Eddie

Quote from: Bhazor on August 31, 2018, 11:49:40 AM

Yes.  Yes, it has.  Grossly overrated as well, generally speaking.  "Hereditary is this generation's The Exorcist or Psycho".  Is it bollocks.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Mini on August 31, 2018, 12:57:47 PM
I think so. At least the trash from the 80s has some semblance of hokey charm. I can't imagine what anyone would get out of watching an Insidious movie 30 years from now.

This is why I now mostly keep my Halloween horror marathon restricted to pre-2010 movies, with the odd exception if I hear about a modern horror that's genuinely special.  I've seen a lot of mediocre '80s trash but it all usually has enough charm and character to not feel like a complete waste of time.  A few times when I've put too many modern horror movies in a row into my marathon list, I've ended up feeling so bored & disillusioned with the genre as to cancel the whole endeavour.

I think it was last year that I finally watched Insidious just to see why it was so popular but I can barely remember a thing about it aside from one or two jumpscares, which I gather are James Wan's directorial trademark.

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on September 04, 2018, 04:53:35 PM
I think it was last year that I finally watched Insidious just to see why it was so popular but I can barely remember a thing about it aside from one or two jumpscares, which I gather are James Wan's directorial trademark.

The shitty-looking spooks aside, I think Insidious is perfectly good fun for the most part. As a kind of My First Horror Movie sort of a deal in the vein of your Poltergeists or whatever, it's got a lot going for it. Not least all the stuff that it nicks from Poltergeist

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on September 04, 2018, 06:09:49 PM
The shitty-looking spooks aside, I think Insidious is perfectly good fun for the most part. As a kind of My First Horror Movie sort of a deal in the vein of your Poltergeists or whatever, it's got a lot going for it. Not least all the stuff that it nicks from Poltergeist.

Well it probably doesn't help matters that I'm not much for Poltergeist either. ;) I mean it's not terrible or anything but I feel like it might be one of those movies that benefits a lot from having seen it at the right age or, like you said, as an introduction to the genre.