Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:54:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The End Of The F***ing World - new Netflix series

Started by Moribunderast, January 07, 2018, 02:23:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moribunderast

Apologies if there's already a thread - I had a look and couldn't see one. I'm not sure if the show dropped this week or last on Netflix but I've been watching it over the weekend and very much enjoying. It's a rom-com of sorts, except I'd say it's more offbeat than funny and the romance aspect stems from a very dark premise. Basic outline is: two teenagers who don't like their home-lives for varying reasons decide to runaway together; hijinks ensue.

I feel like one's enjoyment of this show will rely heavily on whether you can get past the initial discomfort of the premise and whether the two leads don't annoy the piss out of you. Early on I was concerned but they've both won me over as the series has progressed. The soundtrack is a standout feature and I'm just really enjoying the tone, reminding me at times of Sightseers (Steve Oram features in this, also, which serves to push the comparison.) I wouldn't say it's compelled me quite like that film did but it scratches a similar itch.

At 8 episodes of 20 minutes length, it's a breeze to get through. I've got 2 to go but am saving them for later. Thus far, though, the shows get a thumbs up from me and is 2018's first happy telly surprise. Anyone else watching this? What say ye?

up_the_hampipe

There was already a thread about it, as it was on 4OD or whatever it's called now. It's getting attention now because of Netflix. I was impressed by the first episode, but it declined so I gave up after about episode five. Might try and hop back into it, but the interesting aspects were gradually being stripped away.

Moribunderast

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on January 07, 2018, 02:28:50 AM
but the interesting aspects were gradually being stripped away.

Yeah, the premise becomes a little toothless once the murder occurs and he decides he's not actually a psychopath - it then becomes a much more standard couple/criminals on the run story but by then the actors and tone had won me over so I'm happily pushing through.

I made the last thread before I got locked out of my old account. But I titled it 'the end of the fucking ****' , censoring world instead of fucking because I'm so incredibly subversive. That's why you couldn't find it

I cited Sightseers as a similar vibe too along with the Bobcat Goldthwaite film God Save America. Real dry nihilistic hyperbole...It's just a bit of a roadtrip yarn really but entertaining enough to binge in one sitting, specially now you don't have to endure the ball achingly bad agony of watching the same 4od ads over and over every ten minutes

Ah shit I forgot to mention having a boner in my post...that was sort of going to be my deal; the poster who mentions having a boner in every post. There's always next time

VelourSpirit

Oh shit it's been two months that I'd been putting it off? It was a nice surprise to see it come to Netflix. Thought it looked quite fun but couldn't be arsed with 4od. Assumed it would fade away into obscurity so I'm happy Netflix has given it a new lease of life. Really enjoyed it. Anyone think there should be a series 2? It could easily end here but I really loved the two leads together, felt quite sad when it ended. Maybe I should have watched it on 4od so it would have lasted longer.

SteveDave

See you can spot Nick Cave's son in it.

It's quite easy to spot him as he looks like a Mini-Pops Nick Cave.

Blinder Data

I watched this and though it was top: banging soundtrack, good performances (particularly Alyssa), fantastic cinematography.

I loved how cinematic they made shit parts of England look. And the two coppers could've been really annoying but they weren't.

Looking forward to season two

kidsick5000

The most disappointing part was realising the parents are my age.

Brundle-Fly

Started this tonight, looked lovely, excellent performances but found it rather charmless. For me dark comedy drama about serial killers has to have some likeability but typically being British, everyone is an arsehole. Dexter, Hannibal, AHS all manage light and shade but this seemed a bit one note.  It felt like it was pandering too much to hormonal disenfranchised teenagers but then I'm absolutely not its target audience. Mind you, I wasn't so keen on Heathers though thirty years earlier which TEOTFW had echoes of.

Maybe I just wasn't in a nihilistic enough mood tonight? Should I persevere or have I got to endure their wan vacant expressions for the next seven eps?

phantom_power

I didn't think they main characters were arseholes. They were undoubtedly fucked up but I found them pretty endearing and human

Brundle-Fly

Only going by this first episode, the two main characters might not be arseholes as such but one is a psychopath who killed animals for pleasure and she seems very angry and damaged. I can't find anything endearing about them in the slightest at the moment. 

It was also like a crime drama I watched last year on ITV/ C4 that had a similar premise of an outsider girl falling in love with this psycho lad. His mum was a nurse and he kept hanging around the geriatric ward and murdered a patient he was comforting. Set by the seaside. The boy's father was also a psycho. I can't remember a single actor to IMDB it.

Isnt Anything

Probably C4s 'Born to Kill' which i havent seen yet but wanted to. Is there much point now ?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Isnt Anything on April 11, 2018, 02:11:13 AM
Probably C4s 'Born to Kill' which i havent seen yet but wanted to. Is there much point now ?

Oops, that was a bit spoilery. Really sorry everyone, wasn't thinking. Mind you, now you've inadvertently spoiled it too by naming the drama. To be honest, BTK wasn't dreadful, but one of those dramas where the final thirty minutes felt rushed and unsatisfying.

Isnt Anything

Sorry that was unnaturally bitchy of me. Was late and i was overtired.

I knew much of it anyway from the trailers, just not that one bit.

VelourSpirit

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 11, 2018, 12:46:01 AM
Only going by this first episode

It struck me on a rewatch that the boy is a lot edgier in the first episode. He softens a lot in the next few. I don't know if you'll begin to find them endearing but I definitely thought they had a subdued charm to them.

Blinder Data

Quote from: TwinPeaks on April 12, 2018, 12:30:40 AM
It struck me on a rewatch that the boy is a lot edgier in the first episode. He softens a lot in the next few. I don't know if you'll begin to find them endearing but I definitely thought they had a subdued charm to them.

Especially the girl, I found her v sympathetic and funny

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Isnt Anything on April 11, 2018, 07:57:02 PM
Sorry that was unnaturally bitchy of me. Was late and i was overtired.

I knew much of it anyway from the trailers, just not that one bit.

I didn't take it that way. It's always a spoiler risk describing half-remembered films on Cab. " I'm trying to recall an old b&w film I saw as a nipper where this giant gorilla has a fight with biplanes on the top of the Empire State Building"

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: TwinPeaks on April 12, 2018, 12:30:40 AM

I will continue with this. Have to give stuff a chance to bed in.

Isnt Anything

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 12, 2018, 02:44:15 PM
I didn't take it that way. It's always a spoiler risk describing half-remembered films on Cab. " I'm trying to recall an old b&w film I saw as a nipper where this giant gorilla has a fight with biplanes on the top of the Empire State Building"

Hehehe :) x

Brundle-Fly

This got better, but glacially too cool for school for me. It tries too hard to be like US indie cinema for my tastes. Couldn't give a fuck about any of them.

At 52, probably not for my demographic either.  All the performances, DOP - par excellence though.

Dex Sawash

Series 2 is out.
Liked the first episode, sort of links a little with S1

touchingcloth

What's this show actually called? It's in the listings as "End of the F***ing World", but I've heard continuity announcers say "fucking", "effing", or just dropping it for "the end of the world".

Dex Sawash

A bit of misdirection in first episode to intro new character. It is about same people and James is not dead which is good, I guess. 

SteveDave

neveragain

The girl (can't remember the name) is really annoying me this time. Both actors were great, if memory serves, in the first series but now her performance seems entirely one-note, which is a shame as the writing gives her a lot more depth to play with. Alex Lawther still great... but the whole series is getting on my tits with its cynical plot contrivances and cliffhangers, and it's all too bloody American dagnabbit. I know it's a stylistic choice because the US influence is prevalent throughout but I've never seen a diner like that in England, or woodland hotel for that matter, and it just irks me.

olliebean

Is series 2 on Netflix yet? Waiting for it to turn up there so I don't have to watch it with ads on whatever 4od is called these days.