Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:06:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What Non-New Films Have You Seen? (2018 Edition)

Started by zomgmouse, January 07, 2018, 12:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zomgmouse

Alrighty, folks. New year, new thread.

I've started my film year by filling a pretty major gap: Howard Hawks' Ball of Fire. Despite a somewhat leisurely pace and scattered narrative, it still serves up a nice amount of laughs, thrills and heart. Plus bonus Gene Krupa. A very fun and enjoyable film.

P.S. Neil if you read this could you please transfer some of the 2018 posts from the 2017 thread into this one?

Dex Sawash

Would guess Barry doesnt read here as the 2016 one is still pinned.

zomgmouse

Friedkin's Bug, a hole of madness and blood. Michael Shannon pulling his teeth out cause he thinks there's an egg sac in them is the horrifying chaos you never knew you needed. Top notch paranoia... OR IS IT. Based on a really good play and the claustrophobia of the single-room setting is transferred to the screen quite well.

itsfredtitmus

exhumed old laptop that I haven't touched for about 5 years and found the first res evil in the tray (dont remember putting it in there)

honestly loved it. can definitely see the appeal of paul w. s. anderson 

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on January 09, 2018, 07:52:37 PM
exhumed old laptop that I haven't touched for about 5 years and found the first res evil in the tray (dont remember putting it in there)

honestly loved it. can definitely see the appeal of paul w. s. anderson 

It's great, innit?

zomgmouse

Dracula: Dead and Loving It. There's really not enough jokes to sustain it and as such it ends up faltering halfway between serious adaptation (especially with all the effort put into the art direction) and straight parody.

itsfredtitmus

king of new york

ferrara's new jack city

some bonkers scenes with Fishburne

SpiderChrist

Billy

Lost in Translation

It was ok. Nice to finally see it fourteen years after all the hype around it peaked, although the 15 year old me of 2004 (who instead saw Return of the King that month) would have probably been fairly bored by it. Like most Oscar-friendly films, it worked well without being the groundbreaking vision of genius it was hailed as at the time.

Nice look at that unique/slightly nostalgic early-2000s mix of 90s and modern tech too, mobiles and LEDs co-existing with fax machines and Polaroids.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on January 10, 2018, 09:32:56 PM
king of new york

ferrara's new jack city

some bonkers scenes with Fishburne

Come ooooonnnnn - it's INFINITELY better than New Jack City.

Gregory Torso

King of New York is great. Larry Fishburne is mental.

zomgmouse

phantom_power

Quote from: Gregory Torso on January 11, 2018, 01:19:31 AM
King of New York is great. Larry Fishburne is mental.

Fantastically grubby and immoral film. Great soundtrack too

Sin Agog

I think it's on the commentary to that where Ferrara gets slozzered and calls out all the female cast members for their slatternly ways.  Worth a listen.

itsfredtitmus

Slozzereddrugs
To become drunk or intoxicated with alcohol.

(of a woman or her appearance) dirty and untidy.
"a slatternly housekeeper"

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on January 10, 2018, 10:57:08 PM
Come ooooonnnnn - it's INFINITELY better than New Jack City.
oh ae definitely
subway scene alone trumps it

Small Man Big Horse

Mind Game (2004) - Essential piece of anime that I loved to pieces. Mixes several different styles of art to create something really quite unique, this is a rare film that I'd say is a must see, and I shall shoot you in the face if you don't.

Shit Good Nose

Coppola's Dracula.  Still don't see what most others do.  Abysmal film.  Comes to something when hair boobs are the best things in it.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on January 11, 2018, 11:14:00 AM
Mind Game (2004) - Essential piece of anime that I loved to pieces. Mixes several different styles of art to create something really quite unique, this is a rare film that I'd say is a must see, and I shall shoot you in the face if you don't.

Don't you mean shoot me in the arse?

I think I recommended that to you!  Be sure to Czech out Yuasa's series 'n' all while you're at it.  He even managed to make a show about ping-pong strangely transcendental.  He never made anything quite like Mind Game again, though.  The closest I've been able to find is this weird ear-obsessed Korean animation called The Story of Mr Sorry.  I uploaded it here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yTl65Q35fks

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: zomgmouse on January 08, 2018, 12:18:40 PMMichael Shannon pulling his teeth out cause he thinks there's an egg sac in them is the horrifying chaos you never knew you needed.

Mate

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Sin Agog on January 11, 2018, 08:47:59 AM
I think it's on the commentary to that where Ferrara gets slozzered and calls out all the female cast members for their slatternly ways.  Worth a listen.
Love it!

http://www.chud.com/community/t/65845/abel-ferrara-dvd-commentaries

confirms what you wrote, with this excellent comment:

QuoteThe track starts off with Abel cracking open a can of beer (a sound that is repeated quite a few times throughout) and that pretty much sets the tone as the guy cusses and yells at every other scene, drools and talks dirty whenever a blonde woman is on screen. I also loved how he started things off by saying he's only doing this commentary because they paid him 5000 bucks cash. I always wondered how much these guys were paid for doing commentaries. Thanks, Abel. The track ends on another surreal note as Abel whips out a guitar and starts singing Schooly D's KING OF NEW YORK song. The whole thing was fucking awesome to listen to, kind of like being in the company of a dead drunk bum who also just so happens to have directed this great movie. This is now one of my favourite commentaries ever

Rather sadly, it seems the Arrow version of Driller Killer has an ordinary-sounding moderated commentary on it.

Famous Mortimer

I watched a double bill of wilderness years Mark Hamill movies last night - Time Runner (1993) and Black Magic Woman (1991).

Time Runner was fun, a bit like Terminator crossed with Invasion of the Body Snatchers, but not as good. Hamill was fine, Rae Dawn Chong was fine, Brion James was fine.

Black Magic Woman is an even-more-sexist take on "Fatal Attraction". Hamill bones down with Apollonia, and they seem to get on well, but she sees him with his sort of girlfriend / business partner Amanda Wyss and gets upset. You're supposed to think she's done a curse on him, because the opening scene has some other witches in it, but...nah, I won't spoil it. It's on Youtube with Dutch subtitles, should you fancy it. Hamill's desire to not be tied down and to slip a length to whoever he likes is seen as fine, and the two women are seen as shrieking monsters.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Sin Agog on January 11, 2018, 01:19:15 PM
Don't you mean shoot me in the arse?

Heh, indeed I should have gone with that.

QuoteI think I recommended that to you!  Be sure to Czech out Yuasa's series 'n' all while you're at it.  He even managed to make a show about ping-pong strangely transcendental.  He never made anything quite like Mind Game again, though.  The closest I've been able to find is this weird ear-obsessed Korean animation called The Story of Mr Sorry.  I uploaded it here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yTl65Q35fks

I imagine it was, about 95% of my film viewing comes from CaB recommendations these days, that or http://366weirdmovies.com/. And thanks for the other recommendations, I'm downloading that youtube video as we speak and will seek out his other work too.

itsfredtitmus

this is amazing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Tv7WwwTcDc

i feel like getting every abel ferrara film on dvd just to get the audio commentary now

Twit 2

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on January 11, 2018, 01:09:10 PM
Coppola's Dracula.  Still don't see what most others do.  Abysmal film.  Comes to something when hair boobs are the best things in it.

I love that film. Kitsch naffness and tasteful class going hand in hand. Atrocious accents, incredible score; hammy performances, beautiful art direction and cinemtaography.

zomgmouse

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Twit 2 on January 11, 2018, 07:00:14 PM
I love that film. Kitsch naffness and tasteful class going hand in hand. Atrocious accents, incredible score; hammy performances, beautiful art direction and cinemtaography.

I'll give it for the practical effects.  The rest can get to fuck.  RIGHT to fuck.

Quote from: zomgmouse on January 12, 2018, 06:09:36 AM
Mate what mate

This mate could be one of many different types of mate

Think he's referring to that drink they all have in South America.

Dr Syntax Head

Last night I watched This is Your Death. (Also called The Show) On Sky.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2088950/

Not half as clever as it wants to be and a kind of, almost Network wannabe. It was ok actually, entertaining enough and didn't take the piss out of your intelligence too much. It was made by Gus from Breaking Bad.
But then let's put it in context. I love Network and anything satirical about TV so it's in my world already but also I was just bored and putting anything on to avoid getting anywhere near another godawful waste of time marvel superhero film (FUUUUUUUUUUUCK OOOOOFFFFFFFFFF!).

It had the guy from Lost in the Sun which I saw last year and highly recommend. A surprisingly affecting little indie road movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3593046/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_12