Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:00:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What Non-New Films Have You Seen? (2018 Edition)

Started by zomgmouse, January 07, 2018, 12:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: mothman on July 13, 2018, 02:52:11 PM
There's deleted footage from Event Horizon? Always going to remember that film because I saw it the night Diana died, and on the train up (we went to see it in Leics Sq) we were talking about what a shit time the Royal Family was having, and concluded that what they needed was a nice big royal funeral. The next morning...

Anderson's original cut was something like two and a quarter hours long and included a lot more gore from the Event Horizon crew going a tad mental and more dialogue scenes.  If memory serves it was Anderson himself who cut it as he thought it was awful, blaming the unreasonable short time he was given for post production and editing, but most other people (a test audience made up of cast, crew, studio folk and some Joe Publics) who saw that original cut claimed it was verging on being a modern horror masterpiece.

All of that cut footage was thought to be lost, but someone found a very rough VHS recording someone made and that tape is currently in the hands of either Anderson or Jeremy Bolt and remains unwatched.  Extremely unlikely anything will be done with it as the quality is, apparently, way beyond being able to do anything proper with it (I seem to remember reading it was a cam recording of a final edit screening), and Anderson doesn't seem all that bothered, presumably cos he's too invested in his Resident Evil pet project.  Shame, cos even in its current "hurried" state it's a really good film.

mothman

Interesting. I did always feel that once things really start moving, it's all over quite quickly. This would explain it. But to completely delete footage, in this day and age? Very odd.

Shit Good Nose

Only God Forgives.  Where does he put that sword?

Z

Watched a bunch of 30 For 30s

Celts/Lakers: Best of Enemies
The duelling narration by Donnie Wahlberg and Ice Cube was really annoying.

Tommy: that guy from Rocky V who apparently was a heavyweight champion
Came across as a total douchebag, and his total denial of his health condition was a whole other level of grim too. Thought it was well dodgy that they included footage from some of his family actively blaming his girlfriend for being complicit in his denial, seemed kinda vengeful. Ended with the usual baffling "his sons are now going down the exact same career path that helped fuck their dad up, but they wont do x, y and z" redemption arc that a lot of these stories do.

What Carter Lost
Pretty solid account of a high school football team in Texas that (with the exception of one player) fucked up hugely.

Doc and Darryl
Darryl Strawberry seems like a bit of an asshole. The other guy seems like a total mess but at least isn't all self righteous about it. Hard to give a shit about either of them.

magval

Watched a clinker and a stinker, there.

La Cabina: Mentioned on here many times over the years, I had three (THREE!) versions in my Youtube Watch Later list from all the times I went to watch it, finally did so tonight. As good as everyone has said. Not even saying anything else. It's fucking class altogether.

Highlander 2: The Quickening. I don't care about Highlander and haven't seen it probably in 15 years or so, but watched this for free and loved nearly every minute of it. An often badly-made, totally derivative film that nonetheless charms thanks to a bunch of outrageous and gleeful performances and the absence of obvious logic for most of its creative decisions.

Oh, and the original Godzilla, watched that the other night. Jesus he kicks the fuck of out of Tokyo, like he really properly destroys it.

St_Eddie

Quote from: magval on July 15, 2018, 02:00:17 AM
Highlander 2: The Quickening. I don't care about Highlander and haven't seen it probably in 15 years or so, but watched this for free and loved nearly every minute of it. An often badly-made, totally derivative film that nonetheless charms thanks to a bunch of outrageous and gleeful performances and the absence of obvious logic for most of its creative decisions.

Agreed.  As someone whom can count on three fingers, the number of times which I have watched the original film, I enjoyed the sequel plenty.  I can fully understand why someone who cares about the universe and continuity of the first film, would likely find the sequel to be an insult and an affront to the established mythology but as a casual admirer, I find it to be thoroughly entertaining.  Cheesy as all heck but entertaining, none the less.

greenman

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 15, 2018, 02:32:23 AM
Agreed.  As someone whom can count on three fingers, the number of times which I have watched the original film, I enjoyed the sequel plenty.  I can fully understand why someone who cares about the universe and continuity of the first film, would likely find the sequel to be an insult and an affront to the established mythology but as a casual admirer, I find it to be thoroughly entertaining.  Cheesy as all heck but entertaining, none the less.

It really feels akin to films like Predator 2 at the arse end of the 80's action genre, not as successful IMHO but still throwing about enough greatest 80's action hits cheese to make it worth watching.

I'd say it does rather highlight as well that the obsession with the mythology that's followed rather overlooks a lot of the appeal of the original as a kind of unholy merger of MTV action and fantasy. You could argue I spose that the sequel perhaps is more along the lines of the kind of mess you'd expect from such a merger where as I think the original manages to actually craft it into a pretty great piece of cinema.

Picked up a boxset of early Polanski on the cheap, watching Repulsion again for the first time in very long time was as with Persona a much more impactful experience than I remember, again perhaps besides my tastes altering due to it being mined to an increasing degree in stuff like Black Swan. Watched Knife in the Water for the first time and certainly enjoyed it as well, honestly I think theres a case to be made that Polanski was never quite as effective visually in colour. Just Cul Du Sac to go.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: greenman on July 15, 2018, 11:45:36 AM
Picked up a boxset of early Polanski on the cheap, watching Repulsion again for the first time in very long time was as with Persona a much more impactful experience than I remember, again perhaps besides my tastes altering due to it being mined to an increasing degree in stuff like Black Swan. Watched Knife in the Water for the first time and certainly enjoyed it as well, honestly I think theres a case to be made that Polanski was never quite as effective visually in colour. Just Cul Du Sac to go.

Deleted post.

greenman

Shockingly offensive Polanski joke there rightly deleted.

Watched Good Luck Chuck. Not a Cilla Black biopic, but a terrible rom com. Not even "Good for that type of thing". Really, really shit.

Sebastian Cobb

Shit Good Nose

Joy - not bad.  Maybe could do with some trimming here and there.

Brothers Grimsby - not going to lie, I laughed a lot.  Doner toaster in the living room was good.  Cohen has a huge fixation on balls and bumholes, doesn't he.

Shit Good Nose

Eye In the Sky - expected to hate it, but thought it wasn't bad.  Except for Helen Mirren.  I don't know if she was mis-cast, not bothered, or has lost it, but she's not very good in it.

Invaders From Mars, 80s Tobe Hooper remake - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, ohhhhhhh dear.  Not seen it since the late 80s and couldn't really remember anything about it other than the way the kid runs with his arms waving around, and for the most part they did away with the people disappearing in the sand (which was always the thing about the original that freaked me out).  Absolute dogshit. 

willy crossit

I've got Virus (1999) on. It's on boats, thought it would be in space.

Let's give it a chance though eh

Fabian Thomsett

Saw A Hard Days Night for the last first time in something like 25 years. Good, breezy fun with Wilfred Brambell playing a full-on Irish Republican (!). Favourite bit is with John Vernon as the grumpy city gent on the train 'I fought the war for your sort...'

Dex Sawash

Arrival
Fucksake it's dull. Took 4 nights to watch it as I kept falling asleep.
No idea what the hell it was about.
Just a remake of Beaches (1988) isnt it?

Custard

Victoria (2015) - Blimey, what a great film. I didn't read anything about it beforehand, so didn't know where it was going, and it was all the better for it. A gripping, brilliant film, with fantastic performances.

4.5 bags of peanuts

St_Eddie

Quote from: Dex Sawash on July 18, 2018, 03:37:25 AM
Arrival

Grossly overrated.  Dull as dishwater cinematography.  Like Hereditary; a unnecessary exposition dump for the dummies in the audience, at the end.

11/10 - Best film of all time.

holyzombiejesus

I watched most of Peppermint Soda, recently reissued by the BFI. I was so looking forward to it but it was just really irritating, particularly the bit where a young girl is looking in a mirror, pulls a face as if she's had a mild hiccup and then runs to mother saying 'I'm now a woman, I've just started my period'. Felt more like a series of cloying 'charming' vignettes rather than anything with any kind of narrative drive so I switched it off. £12 bloody quid that cost me!

Swoz_MK

Let The Corpses Tan from last year is now on Amazon Prime and fuck me it is excellent. Italian Crime made by Belgians starring Romanian lass from Amateur.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Shameless Custard on July 18, 2018, 07:59:24 AM
Victoria (2015) - Blimey, what a great film. I didn't read anything about it beforehand, so didn't know where it was going, and it was all the better for it. A gripping, brilliant film, with fantastic performances.

4.5 bags of peanuts
I veeeeeeery much struggled with this one. I felt it was tense for the wrong reasons, a.k.a. WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING GET THE FUCK OUT OF THERE rather than "ooh this is exciting".

zomgmouse

Watched the only two films by Jack Garfein, a sorely underknown American director - he made The Strange One with Ben Gazzara and George Peppard, and Something Wild with Carroll Baker and Ralph Meeker. They're both pretty striking, in particular the latter which deals with some very heavy and uncomfortable issues. Highly recommend both!

Also watched You Are Not I, a film by Sara Driver, which was weirdly eerie and atmospheric.

greenman

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 18, 2018, 12:02:48 PM
Grossly overrated.  Dull as dishwater cinematography.  Like Hereditary; a unnecessary exposition dump for the dummies in the audience, at the end.

11/10 - Best film of all time.

I enjoyed it but it does feel rather Nolanish in focusing too much on the simplified minutia of its plot over any actual drama, visually as well I just tend to think Villeneuve falls back to a kind of tasteful evenly lit minimalism too easily in all his recent films. The Blade Runner sequel especially to me just gives a bit of a feeling its sticking its nose in the air to Scott's more romatic look of the original, ends up feeling a bit like a high end home décor catalog.

Shit Good Nose

I liked Arrival a lot, but Mrs Nose was very underwhelmed and non-plussed about it.  And I LOVE BR 2049.

Central Intelligence.  Alright, I guess.  Laughed a few times.  I have a feeling I'm warming to Kevin Hart.  Is that allowed or not?

St_Eddie

Quote from: greenman on July 19, 2018, 10:58:37 AM
The Blade Runner sequel especially to me just gives a bit of a feeling its sticking its nose in the air to Scott's more romatic look of the original, ends up feeling a bit like a high end home décor catalog.

I agree with this.  It's such a visually sterile film, which is not something which could ever be said about the original.  I guess that either works for you or it doesn't.  It definitely doesn't for me.

SteveDave

Quote from: Fabian Thomsett on July 18, 2018, 01:40:15 AM
Saw A Hard Days Night for the last first time in something like 25 years. Good, breezy fun with Wilfred Brambell playing a full-on Irish Republican (!). Favourite bit is with John Vernon as the grumpy city gent on the train 'I fought the war for your sort...'

Wilfred Brambell was 12 years older than I am now when he played Paul's Grandfather. He looks ancient. The past. 

Gulftastic

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on July 19, 2018, 01:43:32 PM

Central Intelligence.  Alright, I guess.  Laughed a few times.  I have a feeling I'm warming to Kevin Hart.  Is that allowed or not?

I felt the same way. I had never heard of it, but found it enjoyable as hell. I know it's not a new observation, but The Rock is just one big lump of  charisma.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Gulftastic on July 19, 2018, 05:46:27 PM
I know it's not a new observation, but The Rock is just one big lump of  charisma.

Incredibly nice bloke as well by all accounts I've heard.

mothman

I think if he has any self-awareness at all he's aware that he's not the greatest actor of all time, and has managed something incredibly difficult, going from just being a wrestler to being an A-list actor. Plenty of his contemporaries... are still wrestlers. It's incredible to contemplate what he's accomplished, I can remember when the Rock first appeared in a Star Trek: Voyager episode and we were all sneering at the stunt casting. But he built on those sort of opportunities and made it to the big leagues.

Sebastian Cobb