Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:56:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What Non-New Films Have You Seen? (2018 Edition)

Started by zomgmouse, January 07, 2018, 12:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Querelle by Rainer Werner Fassbinder
Loved it. Gorgeously delirious. What a way to go.

Une chambre en ville by Jacques Demy
Bit of a late masterpiece. Wonderfully poignant in that very Demy way. Feels smaller scale than his earlier work, and it's difficult to tell whether that's intentional or because of dwindling resources due to Demy's stock having fallen. After a few clunky films, he was clearly back on form with this one.

Dex Sawash

Re-re-re_ watched Planet of the Apes (1968) a few weeks ago and thought I might look at the newer ones.

The 2001 one with Marky Mark or Matt Damon (always have to look up which one it was in anything) might be one for the not good movies you liked thread. I liked the setup for the time travel and twist for where the apes came from. The girl apes all looked like Michael Jackson and the Paul Giamati ape looked like Jim Carey's Grinch. Was disappoint that Marky/Matt didn't knob a Michael Jackson or the blonde human.

Rise of the POTA (2011)
It's got Franco in it, not looking good. Then Lithgow shows up and he has Alzheimer's. Then some cunt zookeeper is shitty to the monkeys apes. Decided maybe I won't watch all of this one tonight.

Judge Foozle

Two Richard Hearne features - Something In The City (1950) and Tons Of Trouble (1956). Until recently I always said that "Something" is the only watchable Hearne movie, but I decided to revisit Tons Of Trouble, as it was on Talking Pictures (UK Freeview 81) and was pleasantly surprised.
"Something" is a very original story of a double-life family man, posing as a City finance executive at home, but actually working as a pavement artist in central London, having a changing-room location along the way. As always with Mr. Pastry, things go horribly wrong (or there would be no film).
Tons Of Trouble sees Hearne, as Mr. Pastry, in an old-style block of service-flats (remember them?) looking after the boilers, and again everything goes wrong to (mild) comedy effect.
Hearne is never so good in movies as in his short Mr. Pastry TV sketches, where he is a one-man Laurel and Hardy, and he only made half a dozen movies. "Something" is by far the best one, and a couple are in the "dire" category, but these two are at least watchable.
For those who have seen Hearne before, here he is again, and for those who haven't seen him before, you can see him again next time, but it's good to know these movies are still around and being shown on TV!

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on January 23, 2018, 03:00:57 AM
Querelle by Rainer Werner Fassbinder
Loved it. Gorgeously delirious. What a way to go.
The poster could have done with being a bit more obvious about the themes of the movie, I reckon:

Blinder Data

Get Shorty, second time around. The cast is fantastic - their performances are pitched perfectly, particularly DeVito who is brilliant as the portentous award-winning actor. The dialogue zips along. A supremely entertaining film, the sort I could watch again and again.

Z

Small Town Ecstasy
Not very good, Cum Town oversold the ecstasy addicted dad to me.

zomgmouse

The Limits of Control. I've now seen all of Jarmusch's non-documentary features. More importantly, this was excellent. Moody and perhaps his most minimalistically existential film. The sparseness is mesmerising. Great cast and great visually. Made for very enthralling viewing considering it's largely about a man going around being mysterious.

Dex Sawash

Finished watching Rise of Planet of the Apes from up the page. Not great but maybe OK as a setup for a new ape film universe. No idea if the other newish ape films are inthis universe.

itsfredtitmus

Can't seem to find film4 The Slab Boys (1997)

itsfredtitmus

^ wrong thread, lol

watched madness's take it or leave it last night. an amateur pop film type thing really enjoyable

would make great double with paul anka's lonely boy

Shit Good Nose

The original Walking Tall for the first time in about 25 years.  Fair play for the progressive race relations stuff for an early 70s film, but stone me has it aged badly.  It's like a cut-price Don Siegel film.  Lots of extras looking straight at the camera as well.

Famous Mortimer

Timecop 2: The Berlin Decision

I try to ignore paradox bollocks when watching a good time travel movie, but this wasn't a good...I feel like, when I set up my own Time Enforcement Commission, the first ten minutes of every agent's return from a mission will be a series of "notice anything different?" questions; or I'd invent time-change-immune paper and have every agent carry a newspaper from the day they left, so their co-workers can check to see if anything's changed (if your agent is a baddie).

Still, Jason Scott Lee was pretty good in it.

zomgmouse

Quote from: zomgmouse on January 24, 2018, 12:43:54 PM
The Limits of Control. I've now seen all of Jarmusch's non-documentary features. More importantly, this was excellent. Moody and perhaps his most minimalistically existential film. The sparseness is mesmerising. Great cast and great visually. Made for very enthralling viewing considering it's largely about a man going around being mysterious.

There's a brilliant 50-minute behind-the-scenes featurette as a special feature on the DVD of this that goes into a lot of Jarmusch's philosophy, process and personality, and in particular regarding the shooting of this film. Plus some nice interviews with some of its actors.

Shit Good Nose

First Sunday, which I mistakenly thought was another entry in the Friday series (of which I'm fond).

Poor.  Most of the subplots left unresolved, has a happy ending thanks to a totally random and unexplained maguffin, and Katt Williams.

Also Tracy Morgan continues to get right on my tits.  His voice sounds like someone trying to do a Donald Duck impression but not quite managing it.

3/10.

Z

Eadweard Muybridge, Zoopraxographer
Pretty cool, seemed to just flatly run out of material though.

Persistence of Vision
Documentary about the Thief and the Cobbler, pretty cool but would've benefitted from being a bit more focused on Richard Williams (perhaps respected his wishes to not be involved a bit too much).

Sebastian Cobb

Is Morgan alright these days, I thought he smashed his brain up or something.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 26, 2018, 09:04:12 PM
Is Morgan alright these days, I thought he smashed his brain up or something.

He is alright (doesn't seem any different to me, in fact - just as fucking annoying as he was before), but First Sunday was way before the accident.

Small Man Big Horse

The Hole (1998) - A musical made in Taiwan, according to imdb "While never-ending rain and a strange disease spread by cockroaches ravage Taiwan, a plumber makes a hole between two apartments and the inhabitants of each form a unique connection, enacted in musical numbers", and from that I was expecting a fun, offbeat and weird film. But christ no, this is a bleak, damp, depressing effort where the two neighbours barely have any contact with each other for long periods of time, and instead we get exciting footage of them eating, drinking, or boiling fucking water on their lonesome. There's only three songs during the first hour and throughout that time I only carried on watching as I couldn't believe I was witnessing something so bizarrely boring, and just presumed it had to pick up. But it doesn't and this is easily one of the worst films I've seen in years. 2.2/10

I Stand Alone (1998) - Another bleak effort, this time from cheeky french funster Gasper Noe. It's vaguely like Naked mixed with Falling Down as we follow around an unemployed butcher who never stops rambling away, an almost always unpleasant stream of consciousness featuring a fuck load of sexism, racism, homophobia and all round nihilism. Still, it's an interesting insight in to the kind of human being you'd hope won't exist for too much longer, and a warning to all that elderly butchers can't be trusted. 8.2/10

Steven

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 19, 2018, 10:00:35 PM
Now watch The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (ta to whoever it was that put me on to this).

Moi.

The Mudge Boy 2003

Weird farm kid is picked on by the locals, his mother dies and maybe in some attempt to feel a connection he starts to wear her clothes and affect her voice. He then happens to strike up an unlikely friendship with a more popular older boy from the next farm over who takes him into his strange confidences. A strange, funny and haunting film that stays with you. Very Gay.

The Strange Ones 2017

Two strangers hustle into town, a boy and his older brother but they can't ever stay long. The older brother is very personable but the boy is strange and averse to either of them making any friends. There seems to be more going on to their relationship than it seems, but this odd story all comes out in the wash. A bit gay.

Radius 2017

Bloke wakes up with amnesia after a car accident and discovers anybody who comes within 50 feet of him instantly dies, he decides to live in seclusion for the rest of his days, until a woman discovers him who seems unaffected. Entertaining enough and sticks to the premise. Not gay at all.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on January 27, 2018, 11:01:34 PM
The Hole (1998) - A musical made in Taiwan, according to imdb "While never-ending rain and a strange disease spread by cockroaches ravage Taiwan, a plumber makes a hole between two apartments and the inhabitants of each form a unique connection, enacted in musical numbers", and from that I was expecting a fun, offbeat and weird film. But christ no, this is a bleak, damp, depressing effort where the two neighbours barely have any contact with each other for long periods of time, and instead we get exciting footage of them eating, drinking, or boiling fucking water on their lonesome. There's only three songs during the first hour and throughout that time I only carried on watching as I couldn't believe I was witnessing something so bizarrely boring, and just presumed it had to pick up. But it doesn't and this is easily one of the worst films I've seen in years. 2.2/10

The Hole (2001) - A rather underrated British thriller.  I didn't like it at all, upon my initial viewing but repeat viewings have endeared it to me. 7/10

The Hole (2009) - Not one of Joe Dante's best but the killer puppet clown has echos of the titular creatures in Dante's Gremlins and as always, Bruce Dern (whom also appeared in Dante's The Burbs) is excellent. 5/10

Z

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 28, 2018, 01:48:47 AM
The Hole (2001) - A rather underrated British thriller.  I didn't like it at all, upon my initial viewing but repeat viewings have endeared it to me. 7/10

The Hole (2009) - Not one of Joe Dante's best but the killer puppet clown has echos of the titular creatures in Dante's Gremlins and as always, Bruce Dern (whom also appeared in Dante's The Burbs) is excellent. 5/10
You should check out Le Trou

Sebastian Cobb

Last night I watched The Baader-Meinhof Complex a retelling of the real-life people involved in the West German far-left militant terrorist group the RAF. It was well made and quite interesting, I've not seen a good and action-packed retelling like this since I watched Mesrine. I think I'll need to watch it again though as my mind wandered a little and I missed a couple of bits.

Custard

Running Scared (2006)

This has a high score on IMDB, a solid cast (and Paul Walker), was made by the bloke who made The Cooler, and a pretty good premise (a gun goes missing, Walker's low level hood has to find it to save himself grief), but the dialogue is so cliched and terrible that I couldn't stop laughing

It also never knows when to stop, and has about five endings. The last of which made me actually shout "oh fuck off willya" at the screen.

There's a really laughable subplot where Vera Farmiga stumbles upon a house with a peadophile couple shooting their peadophile films, and instead of shopping them to the fuzz, she of course shoots them both in cold blood, and just walks off. I mean, they deserved it, but she was a housewife five minutes previously, not the bleedin' Punisher

Some Bloke From The Sopranos is the main mob boss, and his final scene is so over the top and hammy it becomes hilarious. A kid points a gun at him and he goes "Whatcha gon do wit dat, you Cheerio-muncher!" Unless I dreamt this bit, but I really don't think I did. Cheerios were mentioned.

Anyway, RIP Paul Walker, sweet angle, but you were an appalling actor, and this film was a big load of skiddies

Z

The Red Shoes
Always felt this was firmly the fourth best Archers film (of the four I've seen) and this viewing just confirmed that. It's all very well done but I struggle to give a shit about most of it.
Spent the second half of the film trying to see how much I could compare the plot to the biography of Zwan.
Shout out to the person who went into hysterics at the "this is a work of fiction" disclaimer at the start, and the guy who obliviously ate a packet of crisps really slowly for about half an hour as a few people made a fucking ton of noise shushing him.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Z on January 28, 2018, 11:50:43 AM
The Red Shoes
Always felt this was firmly the fourth best Archers film (of the four I've seen) and this viewing just confirmed that. It's all very well done but I struggle to give a shit about most of it.
Spent the second half of the film trying to see how much I could compare the plot to the biography of Zwan.
Shout out to the person who went into hysterics at the "this is a work of fiction" disclaimer at the start, and the guy who obliviously ate a packet of crisps really slowly for about half an hour as a few people made a fucking ton of noise shushing him.

What would you rate as better? I think this is the best one I've seen so far and is in fact my favourite film.

Z

Probably in this order:
1. Black Narcissus
2. A Matter of Life and Death
3. The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

Might swap 1 and 2 (but probably not, Black Narcissus is a beast of a film in a cinema), 3 and 4 probably are tight too.
Four great films, mind. RE: the Red Shoes, I just find the combination of how on the nose it is and it's running time don't pair very well. The first half feels like it's close to hitting an ending of its own but then it winds up just being a very drawn out first act instead.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Z on January 28, 2018, 06:19:07 AM
You should check out Le Trou

I'm aware that you were being mostly facetious but a quick Google search reveals it to be a well regarded film, so I've added it to the list.  Cheers.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Z on January 28, 2018, 01:20:50 PM
Probably in this order:
1. Black Narcissus
2. A Matter of Life and Death
3. The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

Might swap 1 and 2 (but probably not, Black Narcissus is a beast of a film in a cinema), 3 and 4 probably are tight too.
Four great films, mind. RE: the Red Shoes, I just find the combination of how on the nose it is and it's running time don't pair very well. The first half feels like it's close to hitting an ending of its own but then it winds up just being a very drawn out first act instead.

Not seen Blimp yet (it's been at the top of my to watch pile for years) but I'd go Shoes, Matter and then Narcissus. Then probably Hoffmann. The latter is phenomenal of course but perhaps I'd need to see it again to be hit a bit more by it. When I saw it, it was the second in a double bill of that and (my second or third viewing of) The Red Shoes which once again bowled me over. I just love the extraordinary precision and passion of The Red Shoes. I can't say I felt the runtime, and I'm consistently dumbstruck by it. Though the dizzying mountain repression of Black Narcissus does instil me with a deep awe as well. Those mattes are incredible.

Dex Sawash

Rise of the planet of the apes-

Was ready for a slog through even worse 2nd (or 9th, depending how you count) film in series. Was a good film, especially for one of those summer films. Just read the thread and have nothing clever to add [/spoiler]

garbed_attic

I've been really enjoying the work of Spanish silent film pioneer Camille de Morlhon Segundo de Chomón this last week. They feel like bootleg Méliès, which on some level they are... but while Méliès has always struck me as wanting to seduce his audience, de Chomón seems keen to perturb and confuse! If Méliès brought dreams to film then de Chomón brought nightmares - scrabby, putrid, tumble-down, authentically unhinged nightmates! You can practically smell the special effects reeking through the screen in some cases. They have an affective frisson that I've generally only found in Surrealist filmmakers - Buñuel; Borowczyk; Švankmajer. In fact the sheer destructive energy and the violence of the stop-motion in de Chomón's weirdest works really recall Švankmajer, though I don't know if the Czech Surrealist has ever excited him as an influence.

Some of you might prefer watching in silence, but I've found Elfman's soundtrack to Beetlejuice (which I re-watched recently and didn't care for as much as I remembered, though the set design/ art direction are wonderful, as is Elfman's score) effective as is the sillier orchestral Zappa.

The Panicky Picnic (1909)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw5yKcu4W00

I love how unapologetically gross this is - it's like it takes place in a world in which all organic matter (including humans) is mouldy.

The Electric Hotel (1908)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCzru63JBSE

There are some joyous stop-motion tricks here and the brushes in particular reminded me of Švankmajer (though the film is more Terry Gilliam in tone).

The Haunted Mansion (1908)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_JGZgws2gI

This one is a pretty blatant Méliès rip-off, but - for me - one-ups Méliès in terms of the vividness of its imagery and the inventiveness of its special effects.