Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:11:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What Non-New Films Have You Seen? (2018 Edition)

Started by zomgmouse, January 07, 2018, 12:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zomgmouse

I have not heard of this person but he sounds amazing.

garbed_attic

Quote from: zomgmouse on January 30, 2018, 01:40:00 AM
I have not heard of this person but he sounds amazing.

He's so clearly the most awesome early silent film director! [I'm talking of the pre-1920s, of course - he doesn't quite measure up to the likes of Lang and Murnau] I now feel obliged to raise awareness!

Sebastian Cobb

I've never really watched a silent film but ended up buying a ticket for an upcoming showing of Assunta Spina with 7 piece performing a live score.

Keep meaning to watch A Man With a Movie Camera as well. 

zomgmouse

The Dracula Saga, a fairly missable but still quite eerie and weird vampire film where Dracula's granddaughter comes back to the castle not knowing her family are vampires until mysterious killings start happening. However there is a VAMPIRE BABY WHO DRINKS HIS MOTHER'S BLOOD FROM THE INSIDE.

Small Man Big Horse

Pitch Perfect (2012) - Surprisingly funny romcom which affectionately sends up singing competitions. There's a few too many songs and it's formulaic as hell but otherwise is enjoyable stuff. 6.9/10

The Suicide Shop (2012) - An animated musical comedy from Patrice Leconte, director of The Hairdresser's Husband and Monsieur Hire. Vaguely like a french Addams Family but where a deranged family run a shop which sells everything you need to help you commit suicide, from poisons to rope to samurai swords. But then a third, happy, child is born to the couple and their world is thrown in to disarray. It's got great songs, a dark but also daft sense of humour, and for me is one of those "Where have you been all my life?" kind of films - it even made me think that suicide might not be a good thing, and it's a rare day where such thoughts feel believable! 8.4/10

Famous Mortimer

Nudist Colony Of The Dead

Shot on super-8, partially, but the quality of it was so dodgy in places that when he came to re-release the film on DVD, the director ended up using a bunch of VHS shots taken for a behind-the-scenes documentary, so several scenes are filmed from odd angles.

Anyway, it's a musical comedy about a bunch of zombie nudists killing the religious assholes who cost them their land. Good fun, if not quite as funny as it wishes it was.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on January 31, 2018, 11:52:37 PM
Nudist Colony Of The Dead

Shot on super-8, partially, but the quality of it was so dodgy in places that when he came to re-release the film on DVD, the director ended up using a bunch of VHS shots taken for a behind-the-scenes documentary, so several scenes are filmed from odd angles.

Anyway, it's a musical comedy about a bunch of zombie nudists killing the religious assholes who cost them their land. Good fun, if not quite as funny as it wishes it was.

I watched that a couple of months ago and wrote a mini-review, only to never get round to posting it:

Nudist Colony of the Dead - A 1991 horror comedy musical film which was shot on Super-8 film and only cost $35,000 - and boy can you tell! I watched a supposedly remastered version but the quality is still shockingly poor, with it often looking like a pirated vhs cam copy of a 70s film. But despite all of that it is fairly funny in places, it's deliberate cartoonish feel has a mild charm, and the only topless nudity doesn't feel overtly gratuitous. I mean it's definitely gratuitous, how could it not be, but I didn't feel uncomfortable watching it. So that's nice. The songs are largely quite simple and yet oddly upbeat, which makes them quite endearing, even if lyrically they're occasionally weak. On the downside it's worryingly slightly racist in places - with two anti-semetic jokes and the sentence "coloured guy knocking at back door" uttered within the first twenty minutes, but I don't think it's intentionally mean, just misjudged. A shame though, as it means I can't wholeheartedly recommend it to people. 7.1/10

Shit Good Nose

Who Dares Wins.

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

(wipes tears from eyes)

Ohhhhhh dear.

Americans fucking love it don't they. 

Also Waterworld, which I'd not seen since the cinema and had forgotten most of it.  Meh, it's alright for a couple of hours of mindless entertainment.  Some of the action sequences are genuinely good.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on February 01, 2018, 12:07:50 PM
...Waterworld, which I'd not seen since the cinema and had forgotten most of it.  Meh, it's alright for a couple of hours of mindless entertainment.  Some of the action sequences are genuinely good.

I quite like Waterworld but I really feel that it could have benefited from a more 'down and dirty' script and a hard R rating.  In essence, all of the ingredients were there to make it a nautical version of Mad Max but instead, they aimed it at the family market.  You need only look towards Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome, to know that watering down (no pun intended) this kind of post apocalyptic concept, only serves to dilute it.

I've always found it telling that the best scene in the film, is the scene where some horrible sleazebag tries to bargain to have sex with the child.  If they'd maintained that kind of gritty apocalyptic feel and thrown some blood and guts into the equation, then I reckon it could have been a very fine film indeed.  As it is, it's an entertaining enough way to pass a couple of hours, whenever it comes on TV.

Also, it must be said that this moment is hilarious.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 01, 2018, 12:21:02 PM
Also, it must be said that this moment is hilarious.

I knew what that was going to be before I even clicked the link...

It was never going to be a Mad Max/Road Warrior on water, though, as long as both Kevins (Reynolds especially) were involved creatively.  They just don't have that kind of directing style.  Even taking their respective grittiest director credits (Hatfields and Mccoys for Reynolds, Open Range for Costner), they still both have a natural tendency towards soft-focus and earnestness.  So even if you had someone like, I dunno, peak Andrew Kevin Walker writing it, it still would mostly have come out the same I expect.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on February 01, 2018, 12:44:40 PM
It was never going to be a Mad Max/Road Warrior on water, though, as long as both Kevins (Reynolds especially) were involved creatively.  They just don't have that kind of directing style.  Even taking their respective grittiest director credits (Hatfields and Mccoys for Reynolds, Open Range for Costner), they still both have a natural tendency towards soft-focus and earnestness.  So even if you had someone like, I dunno, peak Andrew Kevin Walker writing it, it still would mostly have come out the same I expect.

You're right of course but a man can dream.

Z

Short Cuts
If it weren't for a few weak performances (is Andie MacDowell good in anything?), and the ending, this could've been an all time fave. Absolutely loved the most of it.

Short Cuts has many amazing high points, but I'd agree that it does kind of fumble the landing

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on January 23, 2018, 12:26:54 PM
The poster could have done with being a bit more obvious about the themes of the movie, I reckon:

Reposting this because i love it

St_Eddie

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on February 01, 2018, 09:45:25 PM
Reposting this because i love it

Yeah, can we all just agree to ensure that this poster makes an appearance on every page, please?  Thanks.

Dex Sawash

Scrolling through the HBO app last night, The Great Wall, fuckitplay.
Marky/Matt, Walken (mails it in) and Javier from Narcos. Pretty much same as the Marco Polo TV series with added dragon-like creatures. Did have some daft anti-dragon-like creature weapon systems that were fun.
4/10

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 02, 2018, 12:58:17 AM
Yeah, can we all just agree to ensure that this poster makes an appearance on every page, please?  Thanks.

this but unironically

Thursday

Heat 1995.

Got bored and started looking at twitter at other things while it was on. Too long and boring. Knew this would be one of those "classics" people wank on about that I don't get on with, so it's definitely my fault and I just approached it with the wrong attitude and in the wrong mood but pfft.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Thursday on February 02, 2018, 10:46:17 PM
Heat 1995.

Got bored and started looking at twitter at other things while it was on. Too long and boring. Knew this would be one of those "classics" people wank on about that I don't get on with, so it's definitely my fault and I just approached it with the wrong attitude and in the wrong mood but pfft.

I was the same when I tried to watch it.

I don't get it people go on about films like this that seriously need condensing, yet have the temerity to say 'nothing happens' in things like Robert Altman films where things are constantly happening.

Anyway last night I watched Kinetta - the first solo outing by Yorgos Lanthimos, the guy behind Dogtooth and The Lobster. You could tell he was still finding his feet, and it did seem a bit slow and missing something but you can see some of the absurdist bits creeping in. It was 'alright'.

the poster boy for vulgar auterism

the films he made on DV look like utter shit now

St_Eddie

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on February 02, 2018, 10:16:26 PM
this but unironically

I wasn't being ironic.

Heat 1995.

I think that Heat is a load of old bollocks too.  It also features one of Pacino's worst performances.  Grossly overrated.

Blumf

Heat 1995.

It's all about that bank job/gun battle in the middle, twitter through the rest at ease. Pacino does ham it up a bit too much (fuck the stupid family life background)

Just saw Sorcerer (1977) on Film4. This thread liked it a lot, and I'm with them. Well worth a look.

zomgmouse

The Princess Diaries. Some great comedy in this alongside the expected Disney emotion. Hathaway, Matarazzo, Andrews and Elizondo all with some stellar comic sensibilities here. The opening third or so is much funnier than the rest but it's all still fun.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: gout_pony on January 30, 2018, 12:47:09 AM
I've been really enjoying the work of Spanish silent film pioneer Camille de Morlhon Segundo de Chomón this last week. They feel like bootleg Méliès, which on some level they are... but while Méliès has always struck me as wanting to seduce his audience, de Chomón seems keen to perturb and confuse! If Méliès brought dreams to film then de Chomón brought nightmares - scrabby, putrid, tumble-down, authentically unhinged nightmates! You can practically smell the special effects reeking through the screen in some cases. They have an affective frisson that I've generally only found in Surrealist filmmakers - Buñuel; Borowczyk; Švankmajer. In fact the sheer destructive energy and the violence of the stop-motion in de Chomón's weirdest works really recall Švankmajer, though I don't know if the Czech Surrealist has ever excited him as an influence.

Some of you might prefer watching in silence, but I've found Elfman's soundtrack to Beetlejuice (which I re-watched recently and didn't care for as much as I remembered, though the set design/ art direction are wonderful, as is Elfman's score) effective as is the sillier orchestral Zappa.

The Panicky Picnic (1909)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw5yKcu4W00

I love how unapologetically gross this is - it's like it takes place in a world in which all organic matter (including humans) is mouldy.

The Electric Hotel (1908)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCzru63JBSE

There are some joyous stop-motion tricks here and the brushes in particular reminded me of Švankmajer (though the film is more Terry Gilliam in tone).

The Haunted Mansion (1908)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_JGZgws2gI

This one is a pretty blatant Méliès rip-off, but - for me - one-ups Méliès in terms of the vividness of its imagery and the inventiveness of its special effects.

Just wanted to add my thanks for this post, I watched The Panicky Picnic last night and was impressed by just how weird it is, which led me to watching and enjoying the rest too.

Small Man Big Horse

Wild Zero (1999) - Real life Japanese rock band Guitar Wolf fight against zombies in this sometimes silly sometimes stylish but always enjoyable comedy horror. Some of the zombies are appalling and the editing is occasionally choppy but otherwise it's an endearingly odd flick. 7.5/10

Small Man Big Horse

Kontroll (2003) - A Hungarian black and bleak comedy with an occasional surreal side, this is set in it's entiriety on the Hungarian Metro with our motley heroes being a crew of ticket inspectors whose daily lives are more hellish than anything Jesus ever told us about. I don't want to say too much for spoiler related reasons but it's not what I expected at all, but it is something I'm really glad I discovered. 7.8/10