Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:09:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What Non-New Films Have You Seen? (2018 Edition)

Started by zomgmouse, January 07, 2018, 12:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil_A

One of those oddities that turn up on Talking Pictures in the small hours, Dulcima(1971) starring Carol White. I'm not sure what this was trying to be. Sex comedy? Cautionary tale? An ambitious young woman shacks up with a lonely but wealthy farmer in order to do...something. It's not really clear what her motivation is, and she comes across as being a bit duplicitous for no real reason.

Not a lot happens. The farmer gets bit overexcited and wants to marry her, but she starts meeting a sexy young gamekeeper and it all goes tits up.

Features a barely recognisable John Mills playing against type as the randy farmer. Odd film, beautifully bucolic though.

Blumf

If you enjoyed Carol White, check out The Squeeze (1977). Slots right in with Get Carter and other 70s grimy crime dramas.

zomgmouse

Technically these are new films but I'm not sure any new threads about them would survive so I'm going to log them here:

Zama. Argentinean film by Lucrecia Martel, a world of colonial bureaucracy and mayhem. Understated crumbling, really exquisite and memorable. Will likely make my top 10.
Madeline's Madeline. An intense anxiety attack of a film centred on a teen who joins an acting group where the methods of entering a character start bleeding into reality. That's not really doing it justice, though. Also one of my films of the year for sure.
Duck Butter. Alia Shawkat stars and co-writes this partly funny mostly raw film about two women who meet and decide to spend 24hrs in each other's company and fuck every hour. It's a simple enough concept but there's a lot of emotional exploration and revelation.
Tyrel. The latest film by master of awkward Sebastián Silva sees a black man try to navigate a very white and very broey weekend away with people he doesn't really know. It's a bit one-note but it plays that note well.

Ferris

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on December 27, 2018, 01:24:36 AM
Paddington

What a lovely film.

It is, and Paddington 2 is even lovelier.

Middle School: The Worst Years Of My Life (2016) - Daft kids comedy which is actually rather sweet and funny, elevated by a great performance by Andy Daly (which is why I watched it) as the school principal. It's tightly scripted, full of decent actors and very likeable, even if you're not normally in to this sort of thing. 7.3/10

Shit Good Nose

I, Tonya.  Fucking brilliant film.  Had me LOLing like a fucking loon.  I would go so far as to say it's the best new(ish) film I've seen, probably since Blade Runner 2049.

Speaking of Margot Robbie, Suicide Squad.  Dogshit.  Robbie is the best thing in it, however that's not saying much given that everyone else, perhaps save for Jai Courtney (playing a scumbag ocker, which suits him down to the ground), is fucking abysmal.

Shallows.  Meh.  Seen it all before many many times now.  Boring.

Infinity Chamber (although I watched it as Somnio).  I seem to remember it got quite high praise around these parts, and I know it's gone down well with the SF crowd in general, but I thought it was a bit lame to be honest - some bad acting, some awful dialogue, thinks it's a bit cleverer than it is...reminded me a lot of one of the Cube sequels, and not just in the basic premise.  Amateurish.

Suburbicon.  For some reason I thought it was a comedy.  Which it obviously isn't.  Hmm...mediocre.

Hail, Caesar!  Much better than I was expecting it to be.  Obviously we're miles away from decent Coens territory, but it had some nice moments.  Didn't really see the point of some of the sub-plots, though.  They seemed to be eagerly introduced before being forgotten, or fizzling out to nothing.

And two films on Netflix that I've not seen for a good 20+ years - The Pope of Greenwich Village and Street Smart.  Greenwich Village completely ruined by Eric Roberts in one of the worst performances of the 80s.  Street Smart (one of the VERY few "proper" Cannon films) okay, but quite badly dated.  Also reminded me that I had a MAJOR crush on Kathy Baker for a few years there.

Southern Fury (AKA Arsenal) and Vengeance - two of Nicolas Cage's tax-bill films.  Both appalling, but Southern Fury easily pips Vengeance for terribleness.  Bad even among all the other tax-bill films.

greenman

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on December 28, 2018, 12:13:08 AM
Infinity Chamber (although I watched it as Somnio).  I seem to remember it got quite high praise around these parts, and I know it's gone down well with the SF crowd in general, but I thought it was a bit lame to be honest - some bad acting, some awful dialogue, thinks it's a bit cleverer than it is...reminded me a lot of one of the Cube sequels, and not just in the basic premise.  Amateurish.

There does definitely see to have been a bit of a "Nolan effect" in sci fi generally for me, an obsession with the concept over actually having a dramatic story to tell.

Custard

Now You See Me (2013)

Glossy, a bit style over substance, but the very good and likeable trio of Isla Fisher, Mark Ruffalo, and Woody From Cheers are in it, so it was much more watchable than it would've been without them

Jesse Eisenberg is incredibly punchable, as ever. Isla Fisher has amazing legs. The big twist at the end is laughable

Three buns

Custard

The Lone Ranger (2013)

Stayed at my family's for turkey time, and my dad recommended we watch this

Surprisingly ok. I hate Johnny Depp these days, like most people, but he was good in his role here. Armie Hammer was decent as the title character, too

It's a daft, very light-hearted bit of fluff, but entertaining enough. Goes on waaaaay too long, mind. 2.5 hours! And has about five endings

Three chipolatas

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Shameless Custard on December 28, 2018, 09:01:39 AM
Now You See Me (2013)

Glossy, a bit style over substance, but the very good and likeable trio of Isla Fisher, Mark Ruffalo, and Woody From Cheers are in it, so it was much more watchable than it would've been without them

Jesse Eisenberg is incredibly punchable, as ever. Isla Fisher has amazing legs. The big twist at the end is laughable

Three buns

Why they didn't call the sequel Now You Don't will remain as one of the great mysteries of cinema.

Small Man Big Horse

Freaks Of Nature (2015) - Fairly fun comedy horror that spends too long with the younger characters and not the more established and well known comic actors like Bob Odenkirk, Joan Cusack, Patton Oswalt and Keegan-Michael Key, who provide most of the highlights. It sags in the middle too just as when things get exciting, but there is a fair amount to like including some great action scenes and blood and gore. By no means essential viewing but it's a decent enough way to spend an evening if you like this sort of thing. 6.5/10

Shit Good Nose

Silence (Scorsese version) - good, but I do prefer the 1971 adaptation.  Scorsese's is quite melodramatic, could do with some editing, and Andrew Garfield (with his impressive Bee Gees hair) can't make up his mind what accent to do.

Gold (with Matthew McConaughey, not the 70s Roger Moore one) - watchable, but as a one off.  Spends far too much time on the character MM (who is excellent in it) is playing when it should spend more time focusing on the failure and fall-out of his enterprise.  It's a bit like if The Big Short spent most of its running time on Christian Bale's characters' foibles and then just spent the last 20 minutes on the global meltdown.

Colossal(...) - (...)waste of time (b'boom).  Feels like the big monster stuff was tacked on to a pre-existing character/relationship dramedy to make it less mediocre and like a million other low budget American character/relationship dramedy.  Although I thought the very last moment of the film was worth the entry price alone.

Christmas With the Coopers (AKA Love the Coopers) - probably a christmas film that would suit people who aren't much keen on christmas.  Despite the traditional poster and obligatory bitter-sweet conclusion, it's mostly a fairly bleak and depressing piece about marriages breaking down and mental health problems (including those of the family dog that comfort eats in stressful situations) during the festive period.

Detroit - I REALLY REALLY wanted to like this a lot and have been looking forward to it ever since it came out.  It's not a bad film by any stretch, but...I dunno, just felt lacking somehow.

Adult Beginners - nice bit of fluff which doesn't really do anything new, but has good performances all around and some funny quotable lines.  It was refreshing to not have the main character be a complete hopeless loser right up until the last 5 minutes, which is what would normally be done.

The Time of Their Lives - Joan Collins' finest hour.  Rubbish.

Logan Lucky - it is basically a redneck Ocean's 11, but none the worse for it.  Enjoyed it a lot.

Ferris

Some utter guff that was so forgettable, I've already forgotten what it was.

Edit: it was the new Jumanji.

St_Eddie

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on December 31, 2018, 07:10:02 PM
Some utter guff that was so forgettable, I've already forgotten what it was.

Edit: it was the new Jumanji.

The new... um, thing... no, that movie... it wasn't very memorable but you know what I mean?  Now, whatever was it called?!  Uh... Ju-Jitsu: The Jungle Adventures of Bobo or something?  I think that it starred ex-wrestling icon, The Pepple.  I think?

greenman

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on December 31, 2018, 02:12:00 PM
Colossal(...) - (...)waste of time (b'boom).  Feels like the big monster stuff was tacked on to a pre-existing character/relationship dramedy to make it less mediocre and like a million other low budget American character/relationship dramedy.  Although I thought the very last moment of the film was worth the entry price alone.

Had some potential I thought but ended up being far too pleased with itself and ham fisted as a result.

St_Eddie

Capricorn One - Blokey chose not to give the knife to O.J. Simpson.  Wise.

10 out of 10 - Most amazing film about conspiracy related fake space landings, directed by Peter Hyams, ever.  Would probably jack off to again.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on December 31, 2018, 02:12:00 PM
Silence (Scorsese version) - good, but I do prefer the 1971 adaptation.  Scorsese's is quite melodramatic, could do with some editing, and Andrew Garfield (with his impressive Bee Gees hair) can't make up his mind what accent to do.

Logan Lucky - it is basically a redneck Ocean's 11, but none the worse for it.  Enjoyed it a lot.

Ah I preferred Scorsese's to the 1971 version which to me just seemed a little muted.

Agree about LL though!

Ferris

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 01, 2019, 04:33:26 AM
The new... um, thing... no, that movie... it wasn't very memorable but you know what I mean?  Now, whatever was it called?!  Uh... Ju-Jitsu: The Jungle Adventures of Bobo or something?  I think that it starred ex-wrestling icon, The Pepple.  I think?

For a few minutes I had actually, genuinely, forgotten what film had been on. I remembered Mrs Ferris having a dig aroun on Netflix and I remember something being on my television for a few hours while I did some cooking, but I had no recollection of what the film was.

That's impressively bland. Must be an award for that type of thing.

Sebastian Cobb

Last night I watched:

Bad Times at the El Royale
Death Wish III
Friday Foster

They were all great.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 01, 2019, 05:32:46 PM
Death Wish III

Up there with Shark Attack 3 for genuinely entertaining bad cinema.  I mean mail order bazooka - come on...

Sebastian Cobb

And Marina Sirtis inexplicably playing a young Latino woman.

Sebastian Cobb

Turner and Hooch (was on TV when I woke up)
Angel Face
Cargo (the 2009 one)

Angel Face isn't the best or most enjoyable noir I've seen, but it's impressively Jaws-level tight; no scene is wasted.