Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:10:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What Non-New Films Have You Seen? (2018 Edition)

Started by zomgmouse, January 07, 2018, 12:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin Agog

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 03, 2018, 01:37:30 PM
Wild Zero (1999) - Real life Japanese rock band Guitar Wolf fight against zombies in this sometimes silly sometimes stylish but always enjoyable comedy horror. Some of the zombies are appalling and the editing is occasionally choppy but otherwise it's an endearingly odd flick. 7.5/10

Fun movie, fun band.  I saw them play once at a venue a few meters from my gaff.  During the set, they proceeded to behave like slightly parodical Rock Gods, clambering up the speakers and necking pints in one go.  Then I saw them after the gig from my window all being packed into the tiniest van I've ever seen, along with all their equipment.  Living the dream!

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Blumf on February 03, 2018, 01:41:52 AM
Just saw Sorcerer (1977) on Film4. This thread liked it a lot, and I'm with them. Well worth a look.

I started a new one for the 40th anniversary - https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,62717.0.html

Dex Sawash

Mechanic; Resurrection
Looked fairly good and lots of locations but more ludicrous than your usual Statham film.
6/10 on the Statham film only scale (converts to 3.8/10 on all film scale)

Blumf

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on February 03, 2018, 06:43:29 PM
I started a new one for the 40th anniversary - https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,62717.0.html

Ah, sorry, completely breezed past that. (you'd even posted a heads-up for the broadcast I watched)

Good thou, init.

Sebastian Cobb

After someone plugged it jokingly on here I watched Class of 1999, it is dreadful and not really in a charmingly bad way, not even Pam Grier could save it.

Mr Banlon

Quote from: Thursday on February 02, 2018, 10:46:17 PM
Heat 1995.

Got bored and started looking at twitter at other things while it was on. Too long and boring. Knew this would be one of those "classics" people wank on about that I don't get on with, so it's definitely my fault and I just approached it with the wrong attitude and in the wrong mood but pfft.
I've tried to watch Heat a whole bunch of times.

Mr Banlon

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 03, 2018, 09:35:03 PM
After someone plugged it jokingly on here I watched Class of 1999, it is dreadful and not really in a charmingly bad way, not even Pam Grier could save it.
Class of 1984 is a better 'shit' film.

SteveDave

After reading both My Booky Wook and My Booky Wook II, tonight I watched "Get Him To The Greek" It was alright. Every now and again Russell Brand's voice would become that of Michael Crawford.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Blumf on February 03, 2018, 09:23:44 PM
Good thou, init.

One of my favourite films of all time for the last 20+ years.  I've spent that long trying to raise awareness of it, and in the early 00s had Empire magazine's Ian Nathan chide me for claiming it as a masterpiece.  Ironically, since then I've become annoyed by the fact that everyone now loves it.  Same thing happened with Blade Runner and Wake In Fright.  Ho hum.

Also, Ian Nathan gave Sorcerer four stars when he reviewed the American blu ray release a couple of years ago...

steveh

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 03, 2018, 05:31:28 PM
Kontroll (2003) - A Hungarian black and bleak comedy with an occasional surreal side

Been a while since I watched this, but I remember really enjoying it until until the final section. It successfully builds up a strange world that pulls you in but then it doesn't seem to quite know what to do when it comes to successfully integrating the different plot strands and the final denouement seemed a bit of a let down.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Mr Banlon on February 03, 2018, 09:45:15 PM
I've tried to watch Heat a whole bunch of times.

No.  You've been in heat a whole bunch of times.

Z

Portrait of Jason
Really uneasy watch, felt borderline abusive. A gay hustler is interviewed for several hours with the camera constantly directed at him with seemingly minimal breaks between switching reels. Very off the cuff and there's quite a lot of extremely out of focus parts in a manner that seems to at points be deliberate. It's extremely hard to tell when he's bullshitting or not throughout and... if it weren't exhausting it would've been super engrossing. He kind of comes across like an old pro wrestler in that he's been in character so long even he doesn't know what's real and what isn't.
I'd suggest giving it a try in a cinema.

Belfast Maine
Frederick Wiseman, 4.5 hours long. I've watched it in bits and pieces the last few days and not at all in order really (I'm playing the middle of it right now as I do other stuff). There's probably a pretty strong argument that this is his most fully realised piece though, it's hard to think of a single part of this whole community he's missed out on. I regret not just watching it in one go.

Stray Dog
Debra Granik does a documentary about a biker vietnam vet dude. Very PBS, didn't see the point of it at all really.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Sin Agog on February 03, 2018, 05:55:47 PM
Fun movie, fun band.  I saw them play once at a venue a few meters from my gaff.  During the set, they proceeded to behave like slightly parodical Rock Gods, clambering up the speakers and necking pints in one go.  Then I saw them after the gig from my window all being packed into the tiniest van I've ever seen, along with all their equipment.  Living the dream!

I'm ridiculously jealous of you, I'd love to see them live, even now that they're all old men.

Quote from: steveh on February 04, 2018, 09:00:59 AM
Been a while since I watched this, but I remember really enjoying it until until the final section. It successfully builds up a strange world that pulls you in but then it doesn't seem to quite know what to do when it comes to successfully integrating the different plot strands and the final denouement seemed a bit of a let down.

I really liked the ending, the very final shot was a bit on the nose but given the bleakness beforehand it was a relief for it not to end in a depressing way.

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on January 23, 2018, 12:26:54 PM

I watched this today, mainly so that the poster could be reposted again. It's a fascinating thing, a complex and layered piece and whilst I don't agree with everything it suggests when it comes to love and desire it makes for an interesting argument. Plus the way it's designed and lit is quite quite beautiful, and it's dark sense of humour amused on a regular basis. 8.2/10

Calistan

Watched an Iceland film Hrútar or Rams yesterday and thought it was brilliant. It's about two estranged brothers who are forced to 'communicate' with one another after 40 years of silence. Grimly funny.

I'm heading to Iceland for a week next month so would appreciate any other Icelandic films you recommend.

Z

Quote from: Calistan on February 04, 2018, 08:52:25 PM
Watched an Iceland film Hrútar or Rams yesterday and thought it was brilliant. It's about two estranged brothers who are forced to 'communicate' with one another after 40 years of silence. Grimly funny.

I'm heading to Iceland for a week next month so would appreciate any other Icelandic films you recommend.
There was an Icelandic sitcom a few years ago called Næturvaktin that was pretty good. By that guy who became mayor of Reykjavík after the economy went to shit.

Shit Good Nose

Blonde Fist.  Fairly rubbish - bad acting throughout - but I was mildly obsessed with Margi Clarke in the early 90s.  Fancied reliving my youth.

zomgmouse

Oh yeah this was a gem. Won the Cannes "Un Certain Regard" IIRC.

Sebastian Cobb

I watched The Pleasure of Being Robbed, I think the protagonist was supposed to be kooky and free spirited but she just came over as an annoying entitled thief who didn't give a fuck about people she inconvenienced.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 06, 2018, 03:15:59 PM
I watched The Pleasure of Being Robbed, I think the protagonist was supposed to be kooky and free spirited but she just came over as an annoying entitled thief who didn't give a fuck about people she inconvenienced.

She should hook up with Ferris Bueller.

CaledonianGonzo

101 Reykjavik is the only one that springs to mind.  I don't remember much about it other than Damon Albarn doing the music.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 06, 2018, 05:34:18 PM
She should hook up with Ferris Bueller.

Now you mention it, it was like a very charmless Bueller set in New York, without the truancy subplot.

Sin Agog

Bjork, before she was particularly famous, starred in a really good magical realist film about witches and the like called The Juniper Tree.  It has that rheumy Picnic at Hanging Rock/Valerie and her Week of Wonders vibe I love.

Gregory Torso

Have you seen Noi the Albino? I remember liking that enough. The director had another film called Dark Horse which I bought on DVD about 8 years ago and is still in its cellophane wrapper on my shelf next to Hiruko The Goblin. Has anyone seen it? Is it worth unwrapping?

zomgmouse

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 06, 2018, 03:15:59 PM

I think it's a bit simplistic to write her off as just a quirky protagonist. There was a lot of sadness bubbling underneath, and so much of the emotion for me came from pitying her situation and condition. Have you seen their follow-up, Daddy Longlegs? That really increases the divide between how the character presents themselves and what the wider deal is. He's a schlub of a single father, a real mess, and yet he acts like a free-spirited paragon of fun parenting. Though he's irresponsible and a dick. Which only serves to add sympathy. The Safdies are very good at making you connect with flawed humans.

Small Man Big Horse

The Visitor (1979) - Oddball sci-fi horror starring John Huston, Shelley Winters, Sam Peckinpah, and a young Lance Henriksen amongst others. It's such a weird piece as many parts are competently directed and ratchet up the tension, but others are ridiculously over the top or slightly nonsensical. Throw in an eight year old half alien kid who swears like a trooper, inappropriate bursts of exciting music over dull scenes, the world's greatest hawk attack and you've got yourself a great movie, even if it really shouldn't work at all. 7.8/10

It's A Beautiful Day (2012) - Hour long animation from your World of Tomorrow fella. It's a mix of very basic stick figure drawings, photographic images and film, and about love, memory and death, and is a pretty stunning film. 8.4/10

The Fox Family (2006) - Korean madness about a family of foxes who can transform in to humans, who then run a circus. They're waiting around for some super special event where if they eat human livers they'll get to become like us, and so kidnap four people, but unfortunately the cops are suspicious. It's also a musical (though there aren't enough songs), frequently very funny and quite sexy in places. 7.9/10

zomgmouse

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 08, 2018, 12:33:31 AM

It's A Beautiful Day (2012) - Hour long animation from your World of Tomorrow fella. It's a mix of very basic stick figure drawings, photographic images and film, and about love, memory and death, and is a pretty stunning film. 8.4/10

Ah It's Such a Beautiful Day was a 10/10 for me. Blew me away. His other shorts are marvellous but this just had so much heart and life in it. Very much want to see World of Tomorrow.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: zomgmouse on February 08, 2018, 01:15:00 AM
Ah It's Such a Beautiful Day was a 10/10 for me. Blew me away. His other shorts are marvellous but this just had so much heart and life in it. Very much want to see World of Tomorrow.

I'm annoying and refuse to give anything 10, and on my (ridiculously inane) scale of things 8.4 is a really high rating.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 08, 2018, 02:35:31 AM
I'm annoying and refuse to give anything 10, and on my (ridiculously inane) scale of things 8.4 is a really high rating.

Few films are worthy of a 10 but they do exist.  Heck, I'd rate This is Spinal Tap as an 11.

all films get a 10 from me because films make me happy

Sin Agog

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on February 08, 2018, 09:30:59 AM
all films get a 10 from me because films make me happy

Literally exactly the same.  I quit all those rating sites like RYM, IMDB and Goodreads because I felt like a giddy ninny giving every single thing 5 stars/10 out of 10.