Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:02:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What Non-New Films Have You Seen? (2018 Edition)

Started by zomgmouse, January 07, 2018, 12:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zomgmouse

Just saw Mur Murs by Agnès Varda which was excellent, truly sensational documentary work looking at wall murals in LA. She infuses it as she does everything with a tremendous outpouring of passion for people. Some cool art and social history on display. Loved it.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 08, 2018, 02:35:31 AM
I'm annoying and refuse to give anything 10, and on my (ridiculously inane) scale of things 8.4 is a really high rating.

Out of interest how do you arrive at your scores? Anyone who gets to decimals in their ratings intrigues me.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: zomgmouse on February 07, 2018, 12:25:00 AM
I think it's a bit simplistic to write her off as just a quirky protagonist. There was a lot of sadness bubbling underneath, and so much of the emotion for me came from pitying her situation and condition. Have you seen their follow-up, Daddy Longlegs? That really increases the divide between how the character presents themselves and what the wider deal is. He's a schlub of a single father, a real mess, and yet he acts like a free-spirited paragon of fun parenting. Though he's irresponsible and a dick. Which only serves to add sympathy. The Safdies are very good at making you connect with flawed humans.

I didn't really think there was all that much sadness bubbling underneath. She seemed like your average disaffected 20-something who robbed to alleviate ennui.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: zomgmouse on February 08, 2018, 10:18:58 AM
Out of interest how do you arrive at your scores? Anyone who gets to decimals in their ratings intrigues me.

Well I have an annoying thing where I can't rate anything 10/10 as that would mean it's absolutely perfection, and I don't think a film exists like that, however much I love something. As for the rest, well, I guess I just compare them to other similar films and consider whether or not I enjoyed it more, and by how much. It's not an exact science, naturally, but I think there's an enormous difference between 8.0/10 and 8.4/10, and just want to show that in the rating somehow.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 08, 2018, 01:58:47 PM
Well I have an annoying thing where I can't rate anything 10/10 as that would mean it's absolutely perfection...

Mate, that's not what 10/10 means.  It simply means that within reasonable bounds, this film is as good as it gets.  The rating of 10 is there for a reason, so use it (sparingly).

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 08, 2018, 02:12:36 PM
Mate, that's not what 10/10 means.  It simply means that within reasonable bounds, this film is as good as it gets.  The rating of 10 is there for a reason, so use it (sparingly).

I know that, but you try telling my brain, it just won't listen.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 08, 2018, 02:45:14 PM
I know that, but you try telling my brain, it just won't listen.

Well smack it on the frontal lobe with some wet spaghetti then.  That'll buck its ideas up.

Z

Boogie Nights (with commentary)
Seems like PTA got as many of the cast as he could to individually watch at least some of the film with him and record them doing so and edited together the best bit. Worked out pretty well, consistently fun at least.
Notes:
- Burt Reynolds seemed extremely isolated on set so it's not hard to see why he didn't feel part of the whole thing
- Mark Wahlberg was pretty much in full on Marky Mark at this stage still, seemed dumb as fuck but in a very malleable way that you can see how he's wound up sticking around
- PTA was almost certainly crushing on Melora Walters in the 90s, he seemed extra fond of her and its kinda hard to see why
- Don Cheadle and PTA seemed to get along really well, it's perhaps a bit surprising they never worked together again

Thursday

Buffet Froid 1979

Absolutely insane french black comedy thriller. Starts with Gérard Depardieu trying to initiate a conversation with another man in empty train station talks of how he has nightmares about murdering someone and often thinks about how easy it would be to kill someone. Then tries to give the man his pocket knife, who refuses it, and so the knife just lays on a seat. After two talk further they suddenly notice the knife has gone. The other man get's on a train leaving Depardieu alone. Early spoiler so not a big deal but... Depardieu then later is exiting a station and finds this man has been stabbed with his pocket knife his chest and worries he was the one who did it From here things just get increasingly insane.

Talked about on the latest episode of an excellent film podcast called All Units, which I'm watching along with at the moment. Any fans?

haven't heard of All Units, but i'll check it out because i like Buffet Froid

Thursday

Is there anything else by the director, it really scratched a satisfying itch for me.

Check out 'Les Valseuses' and 'Préparez vos mouchoirs', they both also have the same kind of absurdist comedic energy as Buffet Froid

zomgmouse

Demy's Lola, phenomenal. The intersecting coincidences were impressively touching. Infused with such a sweetness but also a tender melancholy. Simply superb.

Quote from: zomgmouse on February 09, 2018, 01:40:37 AM
Demy's Lola, phenomenal. The intersecting coincidences were impressively touching. Infused with such a sweetness but also a tender melancholy. Simply superb.

yes, it's fantastic. demy is at his best when the lovely wistful melancholy is interwoven with a feeling of being really alive and open to all that life brings. that's the real artistry, seeing the beauty in both euphoria and disappointment because it's all human, it's all special.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on February 09, 2018, 02:15:07 AM
yes, it's fantastic. demy is at his best when the lovely wistful melancholy is interwoven with a feeling of being really alive and open to all that life brings. that's the real artistry, seeing the beauty in both euphoria and disappointment because it's all human, it's all special.

Spot on. I'm seeing Bay of Angels next week but in any case this has made me very keen to see his other work.

Sin Agog

Quote from: zomgmouse on February 09, 2018, 01:40:37 AM

Bizarrely, this was referenced on a podcast called 'Cum Town' yesterday.  Has it gotten a re-release or something?

zomgmouse

Quote from: Sin Agog on February 09, 2018, 06:52:03 AM
Bizarrely, this was referenced on a podcast called 'Cum Town' yesterday.  Has it gotten a re-release or something?

No idea. I just watched it cause I'm seeing his second film next week and I wanted to see his first one beforehand.

Sin Agog

Yeah, apparently it's recently been put back on in a few arthouses stateside.

God, imagine if every audience in the world were willing to watch re-releases of gems like that, and not just a handful of hip burroughs.  I'd never leave the cinema.

Anyways, started off the day in sterling style with Max Ophuls' La Ronde.

bgmnts

Just got round to watching Gone Baby Gone. Very good film. Ended perfectly.

Finally getting round to The Manchurian Candidate. I'm half hour in. The premise is incredible i love it.

bgmnts

Candidate didn't disappoint.  9/10

Keanu Reeves' accent/performance in Dracula is absolutely incredible.

zomgmouse

Snowy Bing Bongs Across the North Star Combat Zone. 40 minutes of surreal sketch dance absurdity. I loved this and thought it was really really funny and strange.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: zomgmouse on February 10, 2018, 12:46:29 AM
Snowy Bing Bongs Across the North Star Combat Zone. 40 minutes of surreal sketch dance absurdity. I loved this and thought it was really really funny and strange.

Thanks for that, just watched it now and enjoyed it a great deal. For anyone interested, it's (legally) up on vimeo in full: https://vimeo.com/244683457

itsfredtitmus

Let each one go where he may (Ben Russell)
Stunning really
Steadicam4u film

Mala the Magnificent
Problematic, natch, but I got a lot out of this

Z

Hope and Glory
This was a lot more sincerely sweet than I expected to be honest. Swayed away from patriotic bullshit and didn't stray too far into whimsy either. Felt far more like it was based on real experiences than most of the films I imagine it typically gets lumped in with do.
Pleasantly surprised on the whole!

Wise Blood
The mix of John Huston and Flannery O'Connor both made far more sense and felt way more mismatched than I had expected.
Just too wacky, I got tired of it. Can imagine other people absolutely loving the mix though.

itsfredtitmus

A lot of people seem to think that Hope and Glory is just another heritage piece

Blumf

Whilst on a William Friedkin kick (well saw, Sorcerer), watched To Live and Die in L.A.

Quintessentially 80s whilst managing to have it's own class. Plus you get to see William Petersen's nudger.

"Why are you chasing me?"
"Why you running?"
"'Cause you're chasing me, man!"

Z

It's somewhere between that and a Terence Davies film (stylistically nowhere near as interesting, mind). Maybe what Davies would've made if he hadn't had what seems to have been an utterly miserable childhood.

Friedkin is weird how effectively he's adapted with the times. Both Killer Joe and Bug feel like films that were made by a young upstart

Dex Sawash

Bouyed by recent CaB assertions that Waterworld was ok, gave it a go. Turned it off in 20 minutes. Score was terrible too.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Z on February 10, 2018, 08:41:00 PM
It's somewhere between that and a Terence Davies film (stylistically nowhere near as interesting, mind). Maybe what Davies would've made if he hadn't had what seems to have been an utterly miserable childhood.

should mention that Humphrey Jennings was an influence on both Davies and Boorman so maybe there's something in that

Dr Syntax Head

French Connection. I don't really need to say anything else.