Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:14:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What Non-New Films Have You Seen? (2018 Edition)

Started by zomgmouse, January 07, 2018, 12:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zomgmouse

Excalibur. A bit overly epic - some aspects to enjoy but mainly kind of a bloated mess.

The Beaches of Agnès. Such a deeply personal and resonant film, I'm still emotionally processing this. Her passion and singular character, as well as the more heartfelt parts (like the ones about Jacques Demy) filled me right up. Gee golly gosh.

Where Is Parsifal?. I still have no idea what this film is. It's a comedy, I guess that's a start. There's such an eclectic cast - Tony Curtis, Orson Welles, Donald Pleasance - and I think the plot involves an inventor trying to sell an invention - but it's so tonally all over the place and nothing makes sense. I am baffled, truly baffled. It's amusing, but very, very confusing.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 10, 2018, 03:16:03 PM
Thanks for that, just watched it now and enjoyed it a great deal. For anyone interested, it's (legally) up on vimeo in full: https://vimeo.com/244683457

I was actually going to specifically message you to suggest it. It seemed very SMBH. It's on YouTube as well if anyone dislikes vimeo for whatever reason. Glad you liked it!

Gregory Torso

Last night we watched Wild Tales, which was bloody great. It's a Spanish/Argentine collection of six stories dealing with revenge in different ways. It was really funny in parts, and just frustrating in others (meaning the characters actions & outcomes; not the film itself). Highly recommend it. I especially enjoyed the road rage one and the wedding one.

Blumf

Quote from: zomgmouse on February 11, 2018, 02:16:12 AM
Excalibur. A bit overly epic - some aspects to enjoy but mainly kind of a bloated mess.

You'd think that Monty Python and the Holy Grail was a piss take of it, but nope, half a decade before that.

I do like it though. Wish there were more films that mined British mythology (not just the Arthurian legend) in a magical way and not overblown shit like that Guy Richie mess. I think A Field in England has been the closest recently, if not exactly the right period.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on February 11, 2018, 12:52:57 AM
French Connection. I don't really need to say anything else.

If you've not already seen it, the French The Connection (La French) is a an enjoyable one sort of touching on the same thing from the French side.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: zomgmouse on February 11, 2018, 02:16:12 AM
I was actually going to specifically message you to suggest it. It seemed very SMBH. It's on YouTube as well if anyone dislikes vimeo for whatever reason. Glad you liked it!

Heh, I like the fact that you saw farting semi-naked women and thought of me! ;)

Z

Solaris (2002)
Tbh, I just watched this because I want to watch it with the commentary track (Soderbergh and Cameron debating shit). It wasn't great but I was surprised by how much more modern it felt than I expected. Everything about it feels more in line with things like Upstream Color (which I googled and, yes, Carruth seems to be a huge fan) and Arrival than anything that was going on in the early 00s.
I don't totally get why it didn't work for me to be honest. It might just be that the editing comes across as kind of typical now, might just be a lack of DP flair.

Dogfight
Actually makes pretty good use of what is now an extremely tired setting. A lot more an interesting artefact than anything else, Lili Taylor is pretty much playing prime Lili Taylor and between her performance and the direction, I imagine this character was pretty distinct for the time.

In fact, I'd say there's probably a lot that could be written about the kind of characters Lili Taylor played in that time period in terms of how they adhered to and attempted to move on from standard female roles of the period. There's something about her face that allows rather thinly written characters to look like they've a lot more going on.

Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion
Very political in a way that's really quite dated and ending with a Kafka quote in the credits is cringeworthy as all hell.

Documentary about that Corman Fantastic Four Film, I mean, who really cares what the actual name is
Very meh, there's very little to add about this one that isn't in the wikipedia article beyond "hey, some of those people you laugh at in the film are actually nice people"

The Intruder
William Shatner says the N word a lot

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Z on February 11, 2018, 06:30:37 PM
The Intruder
William Shatner says the N word a lot

I'm downloading this as we speak.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Z on February 11, 2018, 06:30:37 PM
Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion
Very political in a way that's really quite dated and ending with a Kafka quote in the credits is cringeworthy as all hell.
dated isn't really a concept that anybody should subscribe to really

Z

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on February 11, 2018, 07:03:38 PM
dated isn't really a concept that anybody should subscribe to really
Unsure what you mean, unless it's just that I say really a lot? The whole premise was tired, done by things before and done relentlessly by things since, often in much better and more expansive ways. I'm sure I'd have thought it was a lot less crap in 1970.

Maybe the length was the biggest issue, it's nearly two hours long and seems to be aiming for a high tension piece but it's got so little going on plot wise.

Small Man Big Horse

The Strange Colour Of Your Body's Tears (2013) - A man returns home from a business trip to find his wife missing, and whilst he searches for her people tell him seemingly unrelated stories. It's beautifully shot with interesting sound design, but it's a deliberately obtuse film wth misleading dream sequences that can confuse, and some might argue that it's a case of style over substance. And the answer? Dunno. Maybe. Not sure. Ask me again in two weeks. 7.7/10

SteveDave

The Silent Partner Elliot Gould plays Elliot Gould who is a bank clerk who discovers that a mall Santa (played by Christopher Plummer looking like Michael Fassbender's dad) is planning to rob his bank.

I've not seen the end yet but it's tense as fuck in places and Plummer is terrifying.

EDIT- Also features a very young John Candy.

lebowskibukowski

Quote from: Gregory Torso on February 11, 2018, 11:50:33 AM
Last night we watched Wild Tales, which was bloody great. It's a Spanish/Argentine collection of six stories dealing with revenge in different ways. It was really funny in parts, and just frustrating in others (meaning the characters actions & outcomes; not the film itself). Highly recommend it. I especially enjoyed the road rage one and the wedding one.

I watched this a couple of months ago, couldn't agree more. Well worth a watch

zomgmouse

The Conformist. Another big gap in my watching taken care of. This was pretty sensational. Brooding and heavy but some bizarre acerbic moments of humour. Stunningly shot and acted and I loved the score. The themes of power and violence are I think explored better in the book but this was still a tremendous experience.

Dr Syntax Head

Mrs Syntax had never seen Cloverfield so I put it on for her. I had her convinced for the first 15 minutes or so of the film that we were watching a character based talky independent film of the type I make her sit through and that I was joking about the monster and the statue of liberty head (I'd previously mentioned these because I was convinced she'd seen it before and was trying to remind her). I'm such a card.

Twit 2

The Room
The Disaster Artist

Yeah, quite fun. Watched them back to back with a couple of people. They were howling at all the bad bits, I chuckled occasionally. Having not seen The Room before and knowing only the bare bones, I can see that the Disaster Artist is not really the story of that film, more a tidy feel-good version. I thought it was pretty good (Franco, in particular nailed it) but it didn't really help me understand anything about the film/Wiseau. I should just read the book I suppose.

zomgmouse

Spider Baby. Wacky stuff. Loved the comedy of it and the genuine messed-upedness of it. Lon Chaney Jr bringing mega pathos to this. It's essentially a house with three mentally regressive children (late teens?) doing strange and awful things. Creepy and charming.

The Fan (the 1982 German one). Very slow but the ending goes to a place I was not expecting and basically saves an otherwise kind of passable tale of fan obsession.

St_Eddie

Quote from: zomgmouse on February 13, 2018, 12:14:03 PM
Spider Baby.  Wacky stuff. Loved the comedy of it and the genuine messed-upedness of it. Lon Chaney Jr bringing mega pathos to this. It's essentially a house with three mentally regressive children (late teens?) doing strange and awful things. Creepy and charming.

Father Dougal is intrigued.

Dex Sawash

Jane Got a Gun (2016) with Natalie Portman and the giant craterface fbi guy from The Amerikans.
All around bad. Tons of flashbacks that would have probably worked as well linearly.
Doesn't pause on any shot for more than a few seconds to even allow the vast landscape a chance to have a role. Someone walks across a corral for 30 seconds and it is shown in 5 shots. Out of my depth on tecnnical stuff like this, maybe it was clever and original to make this look like Crank. I laughed a lot. At least it was only 90ish minutes.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Dex Sawash on February 14, 2018, 03:15:26 AM
Jane Got a Gun (2016) with Natalie Portman and the giant craterface fbi guy from The Amerikans.

Not the giant craterface guy?  Giant craterface guy is my favourite actor!  His giant craterface is so expressive, that he can bring you to empathetic tears, with no more than a slight twitch of a crater.

Did you know, Giant craterface's grandfather was killed in an on set accident, during the filming of 1902's A Trip to the Moon.  WARNING: This link contains actual footage of his accidental death.  He was the Brandon Lee of his time.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on February 14, 2018, 10:53:28 AM
rewatched this. still great

Good man, we were missing that poster for the entirety of the last page.  For shame, people.

zomgmouse

Bay of Angels. Affecting and exciting look at gambling addiction made with a real lightness that disguises the pain underneath. I'm really getting into Demy based on this and Lola. I'm gonna try to watch his next two next.

Quote from: zomgmouse on February 14, 2018, 11:47:02 AM
Bay of Angels. Affecting and exciting look at gambling addiction made with a real lightness that disguises the pain underneath. I'm really getting into Demy based on this and Lola. I'm gonna try to watch his next two next.

Demy in B&W is one thing, but when you get to the films where Demy gets to use colour photography, holy moly.

(Also, Bay of Angels has one of the best openings of any film ever. Love that piano theme.)

zomgmouse

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on February 14, 2018, 11:51:26 AM
Demy in B&W is one thing, but when you get to the films where Demy gets to use colour photography, holy moly.

(Also, Bay of Angels has one of the best openings of any film ever. Love that piano theme.)

Yes! The opening floored me. I'm really looking forward to his colour stuff.

Dex Sawash

Shane (1953) Western sex romp. Young Joey explores the strange new feelings he has for a handsome drifter with a gun. Torn between a loyalty to his own father and a desire to have his first awkward fumbles listening while Sex God Shane rogers his mother silly in the next room. Steady Joe Sr (cuck) just wants to see his family happy whatever it takes (anal, ok).

Dex Sawash

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 14, 2018, 03:51:17 AM
Not the giant craterface guy?  Giant craterface guy is my favourite actor!  His giant craterface is so expressive, that he can bring you to empathetic tears, with no more than a slight twitch of a crater.

Did you know, Giant craterface's grandfather was killed in an on set accident, during the filming of 1902's A Trip to the Moon.  WARNING: This link contains actual footage of his accidental death.  He was the Brandon Lee of his time.

Real faces of death stuff there

zomgmouse

Quote from: Dex Sawash on February 15, 2018, 04:04:42 AM
Shane (1953) Western sex romp. Young Joey explores the strange new feelings he has for a handsome drifter with a gun. Torn between a loyalty to his own father and a desire to have his first awkward fumbles listening while Sex God Shane rogers his mother silly in the next room. Steady Joe Sr (cuck) just wants to see his family happy whatever it takes (anal, ok).

Every Bill Hicks fan watched this film only to see no evidence of Jack Palance's character ever having that interaction with Shane.

zomgmouse

High Tide (1987). Beautiful film. Simple enough story but the characterisation is subtly and gracefully done and the emotion really builds up towards the end.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: zomgmouse on February 15, 2018, 05:13:22 AM
Every Bill Hicks fan watched this film only to see no evidence of Jack Palance's character ever having that interaction with Shane.

I have now watched my first Bill Hicks clip. He did get it wrong. I'm sure I've seen gunslinger tosses a gun to a rube thing before in some film (probably 5 films)