Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:08:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What Non-New Films Have You Seen? (2018 Edition)

Started by zomgmouse, January 07, 2018, 12:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

For some reason the line 'I make a pretty good living selling shit like this' tickles me more than it should.

Custard

Body Heat (1981)

Kathleen Turner meets William Hurt, and they start having all the sex. All of it.
Smitten, they hatch a plot to off her rich husband and make off with his money

This was Lawrence Kasdan's homage to smoky 40's noir, and although it's set in the 80's, it appears to be aiming for another time entirely.

Both Turner and Hurt (not Hooch) are good, and even muster up some fizzing chemistry. There's some neat twists n turns, and it wraps up pretty nicely

Empire magazine recently described this as a masterpiece, and although I wouldn't go that far, I would agree it's a very well done and entertaining watch

4 carrots

Sebastian Cobb

It's a good Neo Noir that. I'd place it not far below The Last Seduction.

Sebastian Cobb

I just watched submergence. It was ok, but easily the worst Wenders film I've seen. It just seemed a bit flat for a Wenders film really. A terrorist threat ffs.

itsfredtitmus

what time is it there (2001)

if this was just the Tati scenes it would be perfect (for me)

garbed_attic

Just watched Švankmajer's newest, which I have been given access to due to Kickstarter backing. Needs some time to percolate I feel - at the moment I am deeply unsure. Insect is one of his demystifying anti-fable like Faust, but the meta elements of Insect are even more deeply integrated into the film - there isn't any clean distinction between fiction and non-fiction or reality and fantasy here. It struck me as being as deeply pessimistic as Lunacy but a mite more palatable. (Does anyone really love Lunacy?) It reminded me of this Thomas Ligotti quote from Conspiracy Against the Human Race:

QuoteEverything is MALIGNANTLY USELESS except as some species of potato masher

bgmnts

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on February 23, 2018, 06:33:22 PM
Whiny 70's Pacino > Shouty 90's Pacino

He's got a hell of a shout on him, mind. Thinking of Godfather 2 specifically:

"Keep them alive. ROCCO ALIVE!!"

"CANT YOU GIVE ME A STRAIGHT ANSWER ANY MORE! WAS IT A BOY!?"

"IN MY HOME!! IN MY BEDROOM WHERE MY WIFE SLEEPS"

Etc.

zomgmouse

Quote from: gout_pony on February 25, 2018, 12:53:25 AM
Just watched Švankmajer's newest, which I have been given access to due to Kickstarter backing. Needs some time to percolate I feel - at the moment I am deeply unsure. Insect is one of his demystifying anti-fable like Faust, but the meta elements of Insect are even more deeply integrated into the film - there isn't any clean distinction between fiction and non-fiction or reality and fantasy here. It struck me as being as deeply pessimistic as Lunacy but a mite more palatable. (Does anyone really love Lunacy?) It reminded me of this Thomas Ligotti quote from Conspiracy Against the Human Race:

I am so looking forward to this.

Large Noise

Lost in Translation

Quite enjoyed this but there are things that bothered me about it. It gets a bit too close to rich westerners laughing at the weird Japanesers and being rude to waitstaff. Very nice to look at and I actually did care about their relationship and what was going to happen at the end, though. Didn't think 'Just Like Honey' by The Jesus and Mary Chain quite fit at the end.

Icehaven

I'm just watching Little Man Tate (1991) having previously only seen it from about halfway through probably sometime in the mid-late 90s. I remember just not getting it at all, not understanding why anyone in it was behaving the way they were, thinking nothing anyone said or did made any sense, despite the fact I'd have been about 14-17 so perfectly able to understand it. But it's just a very normal film with a linear narrative and standard characterisation. I've no idea why I thought it was some surreal experimental thing.

zomgmouse

Inn of the Damned. Australian film blending western, horror and some comedy. Dame Judith Anderson in fine form as a deranged innkeeper. Not bad. Has a pretty cool murder contraption that uses a bed and pulley system that squashes people who sleep in it.

Faceless. My first Jesús Franco film. It has some terrific moments (face grafts! needle in the eye!) but it's very 80s sleaze and Chris Mitchum is not very good. Apparently something like Franco's third Eyes Without a Face ripoff? I've been told it's not the best Franco to have started with, but that's how it goes. My friend lent me Succubus so that'll be happening next.

Female Prisoner Scorpion: Beast Stable. Third instalment in this series about a dangerous female prisoner, this time on the run from the police. It's an altogether more wistful and ponderous entry though not without its fucked moments. I felt kind of a European influence on this one.

Icehaven

Quote from: Large Noise on February 25, 2018, 07:46:29 AM
Lost in Translation

Didn't think 'Just Like Honey' by The Jesus and Mary Chain quite fit at the end.

While the score itself is good, I don't think any of the pre-existing music choices fit particularly well. Sofia Coppola is married to the singer in Phoenix (who coincidentally also feature on the OST) and I reckon she just let him pick a few of his fave tunes and shoehorned them in.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: zomgmouse on February 25, 2018, 12:25:53 PM
Faceless. My first Jesús Franco film. It has some terrific moments (face grafts! needle in the eye!) but it's very 80s sleaze and Chris Mitchum is not very good. Apparently something like Franco's third Eyes Without a Face ripoff? I've been told it's not the best Franco to have started with, but that's how it goes. My friend lent me Succubus so that'll be happening next.
I love "Virgin Among The Living Dead", like, seriously think it's a real proper brilliant work of cinema, so would recommend that next. Please don't be too mean to it.

Last night I saw "Neon Maniacs" which is sort of like if Steven Spielberg did a gross 80s horror, but then got bored and couldn't be bothered to do an ending.

Large Noise

Quote from: icehaven on February 25, 2018, 01:12:27 PM
While the score itself is good, I don't think any of the pre-existing music choices fit particularly well. Sofia Coppola is married to the singer in Phoenix (who coincidentally also feature on the OST) and I reckon she just let him pick a few of his fave tunes and shoehorned them in.
Yeah, it really seemed like someone just shoehorning in a song they like. Kind of took me out of the moment when it came on.

bgmnts

Hellboy - 7/10

Pretty fun, David Hyde Pearce in a comic book film was a laugh. del Torro seems to make everything look really stylish and cool.

The Revenant - 4/10

So long and boring. A few gorgeous shots of terrain but that's it. DiCaprio's character is just John McClane, he gets the shit kicked out of him and that's his character development. The bear fight was a laugh though.
Also, I like Tom Hardy but what's with the stupid grunt raspy voice thing he does in a lot of his films?

Small Man Big Horse

Pennies From Heaven (1981) - Horrendously misjudged Steve Martin musical comedy about a rapey man. 1.3/10. Fine, fine, I'll take it seriously then, and as you might expect from a screenplay by Dennis Potter this is darkly bleak stuff. Bernadette Peters turns up once again but as ever that's only to the film's benefit, whilst Martin's great when it comes to miming and dancing but I'm not quite sure about his more dramatic moments, and it's an uneven performance compared to the rest. It's fortunately only a minor issue and more than made up for by the impressively inventive song and dance sequences, 90% of which are incredibly fun stuff. Christopher Walken's especially sexy, and it really is a feast for the eyes, as lazy critics used to say. 8.4/10

itsfredtitmus

i have the lp of the soundtrack of the steve martin pennies from heaven never seen it though bet its alright

St_Eddie

Watching the sequel, caused me to revisit the original Jumanji.  It's a fun flick but kind of disposable.  Still, it's a rather sweet film.

By the by, there's no fucking way that the jungle presented in the sequel is the same jungle, into which Alan Parish was exiled.  Not unless Mr. Parish was an A-class bullshitter.

Custard

St_Eddie

Quote from: Shameless Custard on February 26, 2018, 11:01:54 AM
Isn't it a remake, rather than sequel?

No, it's a sequel.  The boardgame transforms into a videogame, to better appeal to a new generation and the characters in the movie come across Alan Parish's jungle hideout.

Custard

Fair dues. Not seen it yet. Want to, as Karen Gillan's legs are in it

St_Eddie

Quote from: Shameless Custard on February 26, 2018, 11:12:37 AM
...Karen Gillan's legs are in it

HOLLYWOOD TRIVIA: Karen Gillan's legs have their own agent.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 25, 2018, 01:58:41 PM
I love "Virgin Among The Living Dead", like, seriously think it's a real proper brilliant work of cinema, so would recommend that next. Please don't be too mean to it.

Thanks, I'll check that one out! I've got a few of his films on my list but not that one I don't think.

Shit Good Nose

Gettysburg - previously avoided it due to Gods and Generals being a massive piece of propaganda for bringing back the rights of Dixie (as well as being generally dreadfully acted and loads of really bad dialogue).  A bit more even-handed than Gods and not quite as bad (and, as with Gods, Jeff Daniels is by far the best thing about it), but it still never escapes its original made-for-TV vibe.  And the fucking soundtrack - what the hell were they on?  "Let's stick in some synthesizers!" "YES PLEASE!"  Pricks.  2/5.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on February 25, 2018, 06:54:27 PM
i have the lp of the soundtrack of the steve martin pennies from heaven never seen it though bet its alright

It is. And I'll cut you up if you don't watch it soon. Cut you up real good.

The Man With Two Brains (1983) - The silliest of the four Steve Martin films I've watched recently, the first half of this is packed with an impressive amount of daft gags but the second half slows down a bit unfortunately. It's still great, don't get me wrong, but not quite the absolute classic it could have been if they'd maintained the hit rate. 7.4/10

I never intended to go on a Martin-marathon but now I fear I can't stop. And it can only be two weeks or so before I hit the "Cheaper By The Dozen" era.

Sebastian Cobb

I think Planes, Trains and Automobiles is my favourite daft Steve Martin film.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 27, 2018, 08:51:26 PM
It is. And I'll cut you up if you don't watch it soon. Cut you up real good.

The Man With Two Brains (1983) - The silliest of the four Steve Martin films I've watched recently, the first half of this is packed with an impressive amount of daft gags but the second half slows down a bit unfortunately. It's still great, don't get me wrong, but not quite the absolute classic it could have been if they'd maintained the hit rate. 7.4/10

I never intended to go on a Martin-marathon but now I fear I can't stop. And it can only be two weeks or so before I hit the "Cheaper By The Dozen" era.

Stop at Roxanne. Then ff to Bowfinger. I wish I'd never seen or was are of any of the others.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Dr Rock on February 28, 2018, 01:50:03 AM
Stop at Roxanne. Then ff to Bowfinger. I wish I'd never seen or was are of any of the others.

But then I'd miss out Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and Planes, Trains & Automobiles, and I don't want to do that. Once I get passed LA Story I probably will skip most of his nineties work though.