Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:10:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What Non-New Films Have You Seen? (2018 Edition)

Started by zomgmouse, January 07, 2018, 12:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I hate to sound like a cunt who spouts platitudes, but thinking of Lund always reminds me of how drugs have taken some really talented people from us who could still be out there doing great art.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: zomgmouse on March 08, 2018, 12:06:30 AM
It's a fantastic film but I don't think that's a particularly appropriate reaction given the subject matter.

Yeah. Apologies. I meant it more as a general comment about Zoe Lund the actress, rather than her particular character in this film. I realise it comes across as a bit PHWOAR LADS.

garbed_attic

Quote from: Blumf on March 08, 2018, 12:40:27 AM
Some John Maus works rather well with the party scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5P8T8HliWc

Possibly my fave John Maus fan video (of which there are lots of good 'uns), that.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on January 11, 2018, 02:16:45 PM
I watched a double bill of wilderness years Mark Hamill movies last night - Time Runner (1993) and Black Magic Woman (1991).
I once did a Mark Hamill triple bill,
Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Mutronics The Movie.

Small Man Big Horse

Citizen Dog (2004) - A musical romcom from Thailand, it's brightly lit strong colours and magical realism reminded me of Amelie though this has it's own unique sense of humour and tone. Plus songs! Lovely lovely songs. It's one of those "Everything and the kitchen sink" films when it comes to playing around with ideas, and pulls all off with aplomb. 8.7/10

Shit Good Nose

Straight Outta Compton.  Dunno...felt a bit like a cartoon.  Admittedly I don't know much about NWA - was never a fan of West Coast stuff, much preferred the East Coast, Public Enemy, Doug E Fresh etc.

Dr Syntax Head

I think Compton is best enjoyed of you have a love of that era hip hop. Hip hop was my first musical obsession and Compton was the second hip hop album I ever heard (fear of a black planet being the first) so for me it was massively nostalgic.

Sebastian Cobb

I enjoyed Compton quite a bit. It was certainly glamorised in places and you could tell the lawyers had been all over it, but I enjoyed it.

Dr Syntax Head

The best scene is where the rest of the group are listening to Cube's no vaseline.

Shit Good Nose

The worst scene is when Suge and his boys beat the shit out of Eazy E, and then when we next see Eazy at Jerry Heller's house straight after the beating he's just got a bloody left nostril and a small cut on his lip.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on March 08, 2018, 10:46:03 PM
I think Compton is best enjoyed of you have a love of that era hip hop. Hip hop was my first musical obsession and Compton was the second hip hop album I ever heard (fear of a black planet being the first) so for me it was massively nostalgic.
every so often i get obsessed with friday / menace 2 society / boyz in the hood

zomgmouse

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 08, 2018, 07:57:17 PM
Citizen Dog (2004) - A musical romcom from Thailand, it's brightly lit strong colours and magical realism reminded me of Amelie though this has it's own unique sense of humour and tone. Plus songs! Lovely lovely songs. It's one of those "Everything and the kitchen sink" films when it comes to playing around with ideas, and pulls all off with aplomb. 8.7/10

Very disappointed to learn this is not a film about a dog who is a citizen. Still looks quite good.

phantom_power

Zone Troopers - Super cheesy low budget b-movie from 1985. Tim Thomerson stars in an action sci-fi film that mixes aliens and WWII. Good silly fun with bits that could almost be sit-com advert buttons. Memorable video cover from my childhood

Z

New York New York
aka the Martin Scorsese musical
Mehhhhhhh, don't really get what he was going for at all
Pretty impressive how strongly the song has endured in the public consciousness considering most people you'd ask wouldn't even know the film, or that Scorsese ever done anything like it

Get Me Roger Stone

Standard Netflix documentary

Icarus

It felt like it was good and big and important and so on the whole way through but in retrospect I feel decidedly ambivalent

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on March 08, 2018, 11:45:06 PM
every so often i get obsessed with friday / menace 2 society / boyz in the hood

One of these is not like the others. I've cried each and every time I've watched Boyz n the hood.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: zomgmouse on March 09, 2018, 01:51:31 AM
Very disappointed to learn this is not a film about a dog who is a citizen. Still looks quite good.

How do you think I feel, as I knew it was a musical so presumed it would feature singing dogs. Hmmmm. Maybe I should make that film. I can't see how it wouldn't be an enormous success.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on March 09, 2018, 03:18:20 PM
One of these is not like the others. I've cried each and every time I've watched Boyz n the hood.
friday rules and is just as good as boyz

Custard

Jane Got A Gun (2015) - Fairly entertaining western, starring Natalie Portman, Joel Edgerton, and Ewen McGregor. ***

Lizzie Borden Took An Axe (2014) - Love me some Christina Ricci and she made this far more watchable than it probably would've been without her. ***

Batman: Gotham By Gaslight (2018) - Really enjoyed this. Really well done. ****

Snowpiercer (2013) - Loved the first half, wasn't too crazy about the second, but overall it was a lorra fun. ****

The Post (2018) - Interesting enough, but really slow moving in the early going. Tom Hanks is great, as usual. ***

Retreat (2011) - Excellent thriller/horror, with a solid British cast. ****

A History Of Violence (2005) - Hadn't seen this in years. Forgot what a great film it is. One of Cronenberg's finest. ****

bgmnts

Is the NWA film any good if you arent arse about that silly gangsta rap shit?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: bgmnts on March 09, 2018, 07:34:35 PM

Probably better off with Wildstyle in that case.

Sebastian Cobb

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 09, 2018, 07:40:48 PM
Even don't be a menace is good though.
aint seen that one
heard its the superior of the the 41 year old virgin who knocked up sarah marshall and felt superbad about it bunch

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on March 09, 2018, 07:43:18 PM
aint seen that one
heard its the superior of the the 41 year old virgin who knocked up sarah marshall and felt superbad about it bunch

What this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don%27t_Be_a_Menace_to_South_Central_While_Drinking_Your_Juice_in_the_Hood

Don't see what it has to do with that lot?

CB4 is good as well. If only for the name 'stabmaster arson'.

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 06, 2018, 10:57:13 AM
It's a bit of a nitpick though because I think that's it's an incredible film and is already within my top 20 films of all time.

I don't mean to be an arse, Eddie, but I am properly flabbergasted by this. My Friend Dahmer is in your top 20 films of all time?? How???

I'm clearly missing something here. I just watched it, expecting something pretty decent, and I thought it was absolutely fucking woeful. Terrible, terrible stuff. Something you could put together yourself after spending all of 30 seconds reading the first few lines of the Jeffrey Dahmer wikipedia entry. Not a single one of its scenes rung true to me. It was horribly written. The direction was rudimentary telenovela stuff at best. No nuance, no subtlety, no imagination, no nothing. Clichés and clumsy as fuck portents abound. Performances were fine, I suppose. Did the best they could do with the garbage they were given. And it was fucking garbage, and no mistake. "There's been a reported rise in Satanic witch cults." Zacchaeus wept.

There was nothing insightful about it, nothing compelling or original or worthwhile in any way whatsoever. It felt every inch the lazy, cynical prequel that it is. Oh look, bones! This is where the bones all started! Oh look! A bottle of booze! This is where the bottle of booze all started!

Just the fucking pits. Worst thing I've seen in a hundred years.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: bgmnts on March 09, 2018, 07:34:35 PM

Like I said, it plays like a cartoon - it's essentially a long music video version of real events.  Snippets of retrospective videos, interviews and home movie footage run over the first few minutes of the end credits and...well, let's just say there's quite a gulf between the gritty (some might say low-rent) reality of those and the same events as depicted in the film.  There's even a car chase with what looks like the entire LAPD (helicopters included) going after Dr Dre on an almost empty LA freeway.  I honestly couldn't take it very seriously.

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on March 09, 2018, 05:48:23 PM
friday rules and is just as good as boyz

I love Friday (I also have a soft spot for all of the sequels), especially John Witherspoon in all his grape sucking glory ("Every taaaaaahm I come in the kitchen, you in the kitchen.  In the GOD DAMN refrigerator.  Eating up AAAAALL the fooooood...").  Such a shame about the switch to serious gangsta drama towards the end - completely ruins the good-times mood of the rest of the film. 

As Seb Cobb said, Don't Be A Menace is good (probably the last decent comedy any of the Wayans brothers were involved with), and CB4 (also cf. its kissing cousin Fear of a Black Hat, despite it being a fairly hefty rip-off of Spinal Tap).

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 09, 2018, 07:52:28 PM
What this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don%27t_Be_a_Menace_to_South_Central_While_Drinking_Your_Juice_in_the_Hood

Don't see what it has to do with that lot?

CB4 is good as well. If only for the name 'stabmaster arson'.
you know what i mean
the genre parodies with the long list title of films its parodying

30 Nights of Paranormal Activity with the Devil Inside the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
My Big Fat Independent Movie
Shriek If You Know What I Did Last Friday the Thirteenth

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on March 09, 2018, 03:18:20 PM

I wish Furious Styles was my dad.

itsfredtitmus

carnival of souls
loved it

that's all you're getting out on me

bgmnts

Misery.

It's weird talking about films based on Stephen King works because half are dog dirt and half are absolutely brilliant. Misery tips into the latter category solely based on Caan and especially Bates. Kathy Bates is phenomenal in this I think,no wonder she won the Oscar for it.

Also the pig puts in an amazing performance too.