Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:24:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What Non-New Films Have You Seen? (2018 Edition)

Started by zomgmouse, January 07, 2018, 12:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on March 10, 2018, 12:19:48 AM
carnival of souls
loved it

that's all you're getting out on me

I saw this a few years ago and really enjoyed it, even if it was a bit of a dodgy cropped film screening that popped in and out of focus.

I especially liked the bit where she spends 5 minutes talking to a doctor and says 'now i'm no psychiatrist, but you're probably a bit mental'.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 10, 2018, 12:52:55 AM
I saw this a few years ago and really enjoyed it, even if it was a bit of a dodgy cropped film screening that popped in and out of focus.

I especially liked the bit where she spends 5 minutes talking to a doctor and says 'now i'm no psychiatrist, but you're probably a bit mental'.
the guy that wanted a bit of muff
the dirty bastard

Dr Syntax Head

I'm half watching this right now (while doing some guitar practice) on the Horror channel. It's pretty good.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076683/

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on March 10, 2018, 01:18:47 AM
I'm half watching this right now (while doing some guitar practice) on the Horror channel. It's pretty good.

imma spoil it for you, watch out

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on March 10, 2018, 01:18:47 AM

I'm watching this: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075730/?ref_=tt_rec_tt

I'm not really in the mood for it but it was leaving mubi tonight.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on March 10, 2018, 01:23:38 AM
imma spoil it for you, watch out

Good watch out or bad watch out? Nice to see a young and very cool Walken turn up.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on March 10, 2018, 01:32:40 AM
Good watch out or bad watch out? Nice to see a young and very cool Walken turn up.
they all get ran over by a train. watch out for the train.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on March 10, 2018, 01:44:11 AM
they all get ran over by a train. watch out for the train.

Accident or evil killer train?

Sebastian Cobb

An Education. Didn't like it. Flowery sentimental wank, with a possible nonce.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 11, 2018, 01:57:17 AM
An Education. Didn't like it. Flowery sentimental wank, with a possible nonce.

After that I watched Housekeeping and really enjoyed it. I concluded most Nick Hornby films are like poor photocopies of Bill Forsyth with a sprinkling of Richard Curtis sentimentality.

itsfredtitmus

YAAAASS its amazing isnt it the fairy scene and the ending static shot ruined me

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on March 11, 2018, 01:14:31 PM
YAAAASS its amazing isnt it the fairy scene and the ending static shot ruined me

On the version I watched it faded to black as they walked off and it repeated something about her always leaving.

It was great yeah.

Z

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 11, 2018, 01:04:54 PM
After that I watched Housekeeping and really enjoyed it. I concluded most Nick Hornby films are like poor photocopies of Bill Forsyth with a sprinkling of Richard Curtis sentimentality.
Helps a lot that Christine Lahti is fucking brilliant too. Probably the Bill Forsyth film I've recommended most often (usually under the guise of "you want films with interesting female characters?").

asids

Quote from: bgmnts on March 10, 2018, 12:35:47 AM
Misery.

It's weird talking about films based on Stephen King works because half are dog dirt and half are absolutely brilliant. Misery tips into the latter category solely based on Caan and especially Bates. Kathy Bates is phenomenal in this I think,no wonder she won the Oscar for it.

Also the pig puts in an amazing performance too.

Misery is a great film. Very rewatchable.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Z on March 11, 2018, 01:39:02 PM
Helps a lot that Christine Lahti is fucking brilliant too. Probably the Bill Forsyth film I've recommended most often (usually under the guise of "you want films with interesting female characters?").

Aye she's great. Started to dislike Lucille when she left.

My goto for that question would probably be The Last Seduction, seeing as it's relevant.

St_Eddie

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on March 09, 2018, 07:54:43 PM
I don't mean to be an arse, Eddie, but I am properly flabbergasted by this. My Friend Dahmer is in your top 20 films of all time?? How???

I'm clearly missing something here. I just watched it, expecting something pretty decent, and I thought it was absolutely fucking woeful. Terrible, terrible stuff. Something you could put together yourself after spending all of 30 seconds reading the first few lines of the Jeffrey Dahmer wikipedia entry. Not a single one of its scenes rung true to me. It was horribly written. The direction was rudimentary telenovela stuff at best. No nuance, no subtlety, no imagination, no nothing. Clichés and clumsy as fuck portents abound. Performances were fine, I suppose. Did the best they could do with the garbage they were given. And it was fucking garbage, and no mistake. "There's been a reported rise in Satanic witch cults." Zacchaeus wept.

There was nothing insightful about it, nothing compelling or original or worthwhile in any way whatsoever. It felt every inch the lazy, cynical prequel that it is. Oh look, bones! This is where the bones all started! Oh look! A bottle of booze! This is where the bottle of booze all started!

Just the fucking pits. Worst thing I've seen in a hundred years.

Saying that it was in my top 20 may have been hyperbolic, in retrospect.  However, I really do think that it's an excellent film.  You disagree and that's okay.  I'm not going to try and defend the film because what would be the point?  You feel the way that you do and I feel then way I do.  I severely doubt that anything I say, could possibly sway your opinion.

bgmnts

"Worst thing i've seen a hundred years" is equally as hyperbolic and I haven't seen the film.

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 11, 2018, 09:36:18 PM
Saying that it was in my top 20 may have been hyperbolic, in retrospect.  However, I really do think that it's an excellent film.  You disagree and that's okay.  I'm not going to try and defend the film because what would be the point?  You feel the way that you do and I feel then way I do.  I severely doubt that anything I say, could possibly sway your opinion.

Ach, I'm sorry, I felt like a right fucking prick after posting that. I don't like it when people bang on about how things I like and things that I've gotten all excited about are rubbish. Shouldn't have ranted on like that.

Anyway, you're not alone, plenty of people seem to think it's something very special. I just don't see it, myself, but, whatever.

Quote from: bgmnts on March 11, 2018, 09:37:48 PM
"Worst thing i've seen a hundred years" is equally as hyperbolic and I haven't seen the film.

Ha, I know. I was only being silly.

bgmnts

Fair.

The Rezort.

I think the spelling of resort sums up the film. Silly zombie shit. Only 20 minutes in but I already hate every character in this.

St_Eddie

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on March 11, 2018, 09:57:45 PM
Ach, I'm sorry, I felt like a right fucking prick after posting that. I don't like it when people bang on about how things I like and things that I've gotten all excited about are rubbish. Shouldn't have ranted on like that.

Anyway, you're not alone, plenty of people seem to think it's something very special. I just don't see it, myself, but, whatever.

That's okay.  I didn't take offense or anything.  You were just being true to your own feelings about the film.

itsfredtitmus

Honestly think that BF is one of the most undervalued directors we have
Influenced everything from My Life as a Dog, Northerm Exposure, all those Ealing revival films of the late 90s / 2000s (Ned Devine, The Castle, The Dish, Doctor Lewis, that Gus Sant oil film with Matt Damon) but still no cunt cares
Even Kaurismaki brought him up in an interview when asked why all his films are in Finland - "I loved all those wonderful films that director did in Scotland that disappeared" "you mean Bill Forsyth?"

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: bgmnts on March 11, 2018, 10:08:14 PM
The Rezort.

I think the spelling of resort sums up the film. Silly zombie shit. Only 20 minutes in but I already hate every character in this.

I saw that a while ago and, interestingly, the version I saw had it spelt correctly (as in The Resort).  Otherwise, completely agree with your assessment.  And it doesn't get any better.  I think Dougray Scott has pretty much given up on any proper acting career now.

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on March 12, 2018, 01:48:08 AM
Honestly think that BF is one of the most undervalued directors we have

I think Being Human and Breaking In are both LONG overdue critical re-assessment, but that run from That Sinking Feeling to Housekeeping (personally, I would include Breaking In in that run, but I know a lot of people remain unconvinced) really is incredible.  Gregory's Two Girls is his only dud, really, and even that isn't that bad.

Kill the Irishman (AKA The Irishman).  I was expecting a lot more given how well it seems to have gone down with most people who have seen it, but as it is...nothing more than okay.  You can tell they ran out of time and money (most of the effects are pretty bad, the continuity is all over the shop), and a lot of the acting is a bit ropey.  Fair play to Hensleigh trying something different for the third time in a row, but he just hasn't got the chops, which is a shame cos it's a great fucking story.  You're just left wondering what a much better director would have done even if literally everything else was kept the same.

Also Trainwreck.  Not quite as bad as I was expecting - indeed, I did genuine LOLs several times.  I've always had a bit of a love/hate thing for Schumer.  She's clearly talented (and she's a half decent actress), but I've just never found much of her stuff particularly funny.  I guess you could say it was a pleasant surprise for me.  John Cena has comedy chops as well.

itsfredtitmus

Yet to watch  those, Breaking In seems more in line of the diy early Forsyths than Housekeeping or LH

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on March 12, 2018, 01:53:47 PM
Breaking In seems more in line of the diy early Forsyths than Housekeeping or LH

Yeah, it's low budget independent American cinema.  You'd never think it was made by a Weegie, although in large part thanks to a great script by John Sayles.  Brilliant little film.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on March 12, 2018, 12:18:48 PM
Also Trainwreck.  Not quite as bad as I was expecting - indeed, I did genuine LOLs several times.  I've always had a bit of a love/hate thing for Schumer.  She's clearly talented (and she's a half decent actress), but I've just never found much of her stuff particularly funny.  I guess you could say it was a pleasant surprise for me.  John Cena has comedy chops as well.

I feel the same way about Schumer, I wanted to like her sketch show more but it was way too repetitive. That said the "12 Angry Men Inside Amy Schumer" episode is all a bit stunning and a must see.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 12, 2018, 02:50:03 PM
That said the "12 Angry Men Inside Amy Schumer" episode is all a bit stunning and a must see.

Yeeeaaaahhhhh, I think we'll have to agree to disagree/observe our differing tastes on that one....(acknowledging not many agree with me)

itsfredtitmus

Rewatched Duel with my da for a laugh (he loved it)
It's so taut. I can't think of another thriller that lean

Sin Agog

Watch a film based on another Richard Matheson script, The Incredible Shrinking Man.  It's odd that a refugee from such a verbose medium managed to pen two of the purest action movies out there, both with extended wordless sequences, but he did.

Also, mentioned it t'other day, but Road Games starring Stacy Keach is kinda similar.  Think I found that one off the back of an Ozploitation documentary.