Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:17:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What Non-New Films Have You Seen? (2018 Edition)

Started by zomgmouse, January 07, 2018, 12:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on March 12, 2018, 03:29:46 PM
Rewatched Duel with my da for a laugh (he loved it)
It's so taut. I can't think of another thriller that lean

That's me asking for a recommendation btw

Walter Hill's The Driver - so lean the characters don't even have names (similar to Duel in that respect).

phantom_power

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on March 12, 2018, 03:29:46 PM
Rewatched Duel with my da for a laugh (he loved it)
It's so taut. I can't think of another thriller that lean

The Hitcher (80s original)?

Gregory Torso

Compliance (2012) has really sunk me. I read about the case ages ago but seeing it actually play out in all its wilful stupidity and meanness ugh just squashed me into putty. People are so fucking awful. Similar psychological territory as the Stanford Prison experiment but much worse. Watched it last night and just went straight to bed, defeated. Not a bad film but I can't say I'd recommend it.

itsfredtitmus

de palma's greetings
genuinely hilarious had me pissing myself in some scenes which I haven't done for a while
somewhere between late 60s godard (lots of 4th wall, reading lines from books, title cards, manic editing) and hard days night / goodies (more diagnoses hal hartley if anything, really)

bgmnts

Rewatched St Elmo's Fire again.

As someone who longed for the group of friends university experience and a general love of brat pack era bollocks, this is such a disappointment all round.

Bar that one song, thats glorious.

PS does it make me gay that i want to spoon 1980s Rob Lowe?

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on March 13, 2018, 09:34:08 AM
de palma's greetings
genuinely hilarious had me pissing myself in some scenes which I haven't done for a while
somewhere between late 60s godard (lots of 4th wall, reading lines from books, title cards, manic editing) and hard days night / goodies (more diagnoses hal hartley if anything, really)

have you seen 'Hi Mom!'

zomgmouse

Re De Palma give Blow Out a go if you haven't seen it.

Quote from: Sin Agog on March 12, 2018, 04:19:30 PM
Also, mentioned it t'other day, but Road Games starring Stacy Keach is kinda similar.  Think I found that one off the back of an Ozploitation documentary.

Roadgames is amazing! Yes!

Another great lean thriller of sorts is Plunder Road, an obscure B-noir. Short and bitter.

itsfredtitmus

Susan slept here
I thought this would be lesser Tashlin but it really isn't

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: bgmnts on March 14, 2018, 01:07:07 AM
PS does it make me gay that i want to spoon 1980s Rob Lowe?

No.  If Youngblood made you want to do that, different matter entirely.

Most of the Brat Pack flicks aren't that good when you watch them back, but I would say St Elmos Fire has probably come off the worst, at least of the proper Brat Pack flicks.

Dr Rock

Every Brat Pack movie is shit (unless you count The Outsiders and Rumblefish) except Breakfast Club which is still ace.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Dr Rock on March 14, 2018, 04:43:34 PM
unless you count The Outsiders and Rumblefish

You pretty much have to, otherwise there's not that much left.

It's basically only Elmos Fire and Breakfast Club that are proper Brat Pack films.  All the rest only feature one or two of the same group.  There's a bit of a Mandela effect with them.

Dr Rock

There's a lot of them in that Western they did. I'm assuming it was called Young Guns, could be wrong.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Dr Rock on March 14, 2018, 04:59:19 PM
There's a lot of them in that Western they did. I'm assuming it was called Young Guns, could be wrong.

Only Estevez.  Charlie Sheen and Kiefer Sutherland were never considered as officially part of the group, merely, basically, "acting mates", and Dermot Mulroney and Casey Siemaszko were too "proper actors" to be included - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brat_Pack_(actors)

Z

Celine and Julie Go Boating
Liked the beginning a lot, then my attention wavered for a while before it won me back. Overall pretty great, I think I prefer Out 1 for just how unique and utterly mad of a thing it is but I'd say this is a much better entry point. If you like one, you'll probably like the other.
Some really funny moments, some legitimately creepy ones too.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Gregory Torso on March 13, 2018, 06:03:28 AM
Compliance (2012) has really sunk me. I read about the case ages ago but seeing it actually play out in all its wilful stupidity and meanness ugh just squashed me into putty. People are so fucking awful. Similar psychological territory as the Stanford Prison experiment but much worse. Watched it last night and just went straight to bed, defeated. Not a bad film but I can't say I'd recommend it.

Top 5 difficult wank movies

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on March 14, 2018, 01:09:05 AM
have you seen 'Hi Mom!'
fucking hell this was even funnier

interested in seeing home movies (1980) next before i go into sisters / obsessions and later hitchcocks

itsfredtitmus

the be black, baby tv scene were so good tbh

greenman

Watched Inherent Vice for the first time since the original release. I remember thinking back then that Paul Thomas Anderson's stately style seemed like a bit of a mismatch to the material but I enjoyed it a good deal more on second viewing, perhaps because the atmosphere/comedy was easier to pickup when your not trying to piece the plot together as much.

Phil_A

Quote from: Gregory Torso on March 13, 2018, 06:03:28 AM

What makes it worse is that even though they eventually caught the guy responsible for this and possibly many other similar hoaxes, he was acquitted due to lack of evidence. He didn't even get so much as a fucking fine.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on March 15, 2018, 08:21:09 PM
very possibly depalma's peak imo
lotta leg youre going on there

it was almost night of the living deadesque

St_Eddie

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on March 15, 2018, 08:21:09 PM
very possibly depalma's peak imo

Ah, DePalma's Peak; the lesser known sequel to Dante's Peak.

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on March 16, 2018, 03:41:49 AM
lotta leg youre going on there

it was almost night of the living deadesque

i just like the abrasive Godardian quality of it. it suggests a whole other direction depalma could have gone in

itsfredtitmus

He's only the filmmaker Robert Downey Senior could have been

Custard

Decided to begin a bit of a Scorsese season at Chez Custard

Fired up Mean Streets last night

*Limmy voice* Fuckin' yasss, man *Limmy voice*

The ending always leaves me a tiny bit unsatisfied, as I wish the film went on for another hour to see what happens in the aftermath, but it's still a fucking brilliant two hours. One of Scorsese's tightest, I think, with little to no flab on it

Had never twigged til now that the bar drunk is David Carradine!

Keitel and De Niro had awesome chemistry, and you can't tear your eyes away each time they share a screen. I wonder how much of their dialogue/interaction was improvised, as they seem to constantly be surprising and cracking each other up

What a beauty. A proper great film

Might go for Raging Bull next. Been years since I've seen it

Gregory Torso

I haven't seen Mean Streets for years. I remember having a massive argument with a friend once about whether or not Deniro dies at the end. I said he didn't but I can't remember now if I was right or not.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Gregory Torso on March 17, 2018, 08:43:35 AM
I haven't seen Mean Streets for years. I remember having a massive argument with a friend once about whether or not Deniro dies at the end. I said he didn't but I can't remember now if I was right or not.

Ah, but did DeNiro die at the end of Taxi Driver?  It's an interesting theory.