Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:55:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What Non-New Films Have You Seen? (2018 Edition)

Started by zomgmouse, January 07, 2018, 12:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Z

Alan Patridge : Alpha Papa
Finally got around to this, was a lot funnier than I expected tbh. If there was one thing I'd criticise it would be that there's some extremely funny bits that could have been dwelled upon longer and more effectively by the director at the expense of some less funny moments. It's as though they were unaware they had the time to let things linger

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 24, 2018, 10:30:19 PM
I know what you mean, it's by no means a great film but I felt the same way about it, and even it's not entirely successful I thought the critics were way too harsh about it. My only complaint is that Kristen Wiig's not in it much when the trailer makes her out to be a big part of proceedings.
I think it's a film that's very easy to criticise as being some straight ahead environmentalism bore.

If it weren't by a name like Alexander Payne and didn't cost as much, I'd imagine an absolutely huge chunk of the slightly negative reviews would have been slightly positive (which has a drastic effect on rotten tomatoes)

Dex Sawash

Cotton Comes to Harlem blaxploitation I've seen parts of a lot on tv in 70s.  Saw it all tonight. Crooked preacher steals money intended to arrange transport for parishioners to go back to africa. Problematic scenes include one where cops pacify a crowd of black people on verge of a riot by releasing a few crates of live chickens. Raymond St Jacques is outstanding in this film.

phantom_power

I noticed there are quite a few Jarmusch films on Amazon Prime and I like the couple of films of his I have seen so I thought I would work through them in order. First up was Permanent Vacation, which was a bit of a struggle. Looking forward to Stranger Than Paradise though

Custard

Round 3 of my Scorsese season was only blinkin' The King Of Comedy (1982)

It was discussed in this thread last week, so I won't faff on more about it, but yeah, it's well good innit

Sandra Bernhard is excellent and funny as fuck, Jerry Lewis is great, and De Niro is, well, prime De Niro. How did he ever go from this to Bad Grandpa?

Next may be.....CaB favourite......AFTER HOURS

OOOOOOHHHHH!

itsfredtitmus

Le Dernier Combat by Luc Besson
Pretty cool. It worked. It does add up to something oddly moving.

bgmnts

I know the series revels in its absurdity and lack of logic and sense but why did Kyle Reese neglect to mention a reprogrammed Terminator was sent back to a different time, before they blew the time machine up?

How would he not know that?

St_Eddie

Quote from: bgmnts on March 29, 2018, 09:52:14 PM
...why did Kyle Reese neglect to mention a reprogrammed Terminator was sent back to a different time, before they blew the time machine up?

Because no one ever bothered to ask him.

SERIOUS ANSWER:  It's really just the usual plot-hole/paradox issues, encountered when writing stories about time travel.  However, a decent enough explanation would be that the second terminator came from a divergent timeline.  Messing around with time travel is bound to create multiple timelines and parallel universes.  Kyle Reese came from timeline A.  Arnie and the T-1000 in T2 came from timeline B.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Shameless Custard on March 29, 2018, 07:53:01 AM
Round 3 of my Scorsese season was only blinkin' The King Of Comedy (1982)

It was discussed in this thread last week, so I won't faff on more about it, but yeah, it's well good innit

Sandra Bernhard is excellent and funny as fuck, Jerry Lewis is great, and De Niro is, well, prime De Niro. How did he ever go from this to Bad Grandpa?

Next may be.....CaB favourite......AFTER HOURS

OOOOOOHHHHH!

I'd love too be able to see The King Of Comedy for the first time and then move onto After Hours...

bgmnts

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 29, 2018, 10:09:02 PM
Because no one ever bothered to ask him.

SERIOUS ANSWER:  It's really just the usual plot-hole/paradox issues, encountered when writing stories about time travel.  However, a decent enough explanation would be that the second terminator came from a divergent timeline.  Messing around with time travel is bound to create multiple timelines and parallel universes.  Kyle Reese came from timeline A.  Arnie and the T-1000 in T2 came from timeline B.

I think its explicitly stated at the start of T2 that they sent two (Reese and Arnie and Poly Olly Alloy and Arnie) back. Meaning they were both part of the same time travel and from the same timeline.

I think it'd make more sense if Reese did know he just forgot or didnt bother mentioning it. Its like Obi Wan forgetting who R2D2 is in A New Hope.
Its Mortal Kombat levels of stupidity.

Steven

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 29, 2018, 10:09:02 PM

It's not as bad as Kyle Reese being contemporaneous with John Conner in the future, but goes back in time and turns out to be his Dad. That doesn't make any sense even in a divergent timeline, it's a paradox, pure and simple.

Sebastian Cobb

Alright Kyle, seeing as you're my best mate I want to send you back in time to pump my mum.

Sebastian Cobb

The sad fact about The Terminator 'franchise' is that now, through its series of diminishing returns as a whole it's worse than Timecop.

La vie est un roman by Alain Resnais
Loved it. I really like the unashamed theatricality. The sets were mind-blowingly amazing too. A totally glorious 'throwing everything at the wall' film.

itsfredtitmus

ive been interested in seeing Resnais' Dennis Potter musicals for a while now

Custard

Quote from: Dr Rock on March 29, 2018, 11:26:53 PM
I'd love too be able to see The King Of Comedy for the first time and then move onto After Hours...

Oh no, I've seen both before! Most Scorsese fillums, in fact. I just decided to have a bit of a "season" and an extensive rewatch. Something I've been meaning to do for a while, as he's very possibly my favourite director

bgmnts

Finally getting around to watching Vertigo and Rear Window.

Jimmy Stewart has the coolest voice in the history of cinema I think.

Just finished Vertigo, went on longer than i expected and the last 20 seconds had me howling with laughter, i'm sorry to say.

itsfredtitmus

Whispering Pages
seen this type of film done better by even Sokurov himself the sound design was demented tho

Asthenic Syndrome
the first part was great, but that just turned out be a film-within-a-film that was being projected at a cinema. The director, to no avail, tries to get the audience to question him about his important work of cinema and starts rattling off names like German, Sokurov and indeed the director of Asthenic Syndrome to the uncaring audience - "why do we go to films like this? i want to be happy when i go to the cinema; im already sad enough. i dont want to see a woman bury her husband and descend into a frenzy!" says one audience member upon leaving the screening
i turned it off after that and went to bed ill finish it later

Z

The Light of the Moon
Took a while to adjust to seeing Stephanie Beatriz actually acting as a real human being but she's pretty good, Brooklyn Nine-Nine does her a bit of a misservice by putting her in the Aubrey Plaza role.
Film is more or less what you'd expect it to be; manages to avoid doing any major missteps along the way (e.g. laying in too hard on any particular person), which is a bit of an achievement in itself giving the subject matter but I'd be surprised if I remember anything about it in a few months beyond the basics of the plot.

Strong Island
Was okay, as far as documentaries about young black men who were unjustly murdered and then their killers got away with it goes, I wouldn't rate it among the better ones.
Extremely confusing how the narrator (a sibling of the victim) apparently started to identify as a trans man at some point during the production. From what I could gather, during the original production he identified as female/lesbian but by post production (so presumably that includes the narrated parts), he identified as a trans man/queer. Wasn't a deliberate move to make the film more about them than their brother but I was thrown.

The Snapper
Colm Meaney was game, there were a few bits of dialogue that were funny, but on the whole it was pretty underwhelming tbh, bit too much of the characters laughing more at their wisecracks than me.

Molly's Game
An Aaron Sorkin film

itsfredtitmus

watched Breakdown with pappa before
we loved it
bless the fine lord that is mysterious truck films

Gregory Torso

I watched Tobe Hooper's Space Cunts Lifeforce last night. Special FX still look really great, even the dessicated grandpa zombies. Some top nudity, as well. Storyline is a right load of old bollocks, although the ship in the comet's tail full of dead bat aliens was pretty creepy. Patrick Stewart gets soul kissed in a mental asylum.

bgmnts

Suicide Kings.
Always been a fan of this.

Walken and Johnny Galecki are great in it. Even Dennis Leary is quite funny.

Feel like it'd work better as a stageplay.

bgmnts

The Dawn of the Dead remake, especially it's music video intro, is so bloody good. Maybe Zack Snyder was on some kind of superdrug when he filmed it. It's everything a fast paced action horror should be.

Michael Kelly is great in it. Really great.

zomgmouse

Finally got round to finishing Abel Ferrara's Fear City. Really cool.

SavageHedgehog

Watched Maggie, which was mentioned a few pages back, with my mum who had heart surgery recently and has quite a bit of empathy with Arnie and his current situation. Quite an interesting film; a fair amount of crossover in tone and imagery with Logan, which I haven't seen mentioned anywhere.

greenman

Got though the whole of the directors cut of Once Upon A Time In America today for the first time in about a decade, if anything the mix of golden age Hollywood and violence/rape stood out more than I remember but I still think it works somehow. For all the pulpiness of its style I tend to think theres more weight there than most of the other heavy hitters in the gangster genre that get more caught up in glamourizing the specifics of criminality.

Has anyone seen the 4+ hour cut that came out a few years ago? worth seeking out?

bgmnts

I dont think the cut i have is over 4 hours but its very fucking long.

The rape scene is pretty brutal.

Quote from: greenman on April 02, 2018, 07:41:09 PM
Has anyone seen the 4+ hour cut that came out a few years ago? worth seeking out?

Yes, I would say it is. Of the recently discovered scenes, there are several which significantly add to the overall dreamlike tone.