Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:09:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What Non-New Films Have You Seen? (2018 Edition)

Started by zomgmouse, January 07, 2018, 12:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

I dont exactly know what it is but there is something about Chris Nolan films that comes across insufferably pretentious. This is no more evident than in the Batman trilogy he did. Rewatching them now, Dark Knight Rises is almost intolerable. Anne Hathaway in a cat suit and Tom Hardy makes it almost.

I actually prefer the Joel Schumacher Batmans.

Also i am about to rewatch my copy of Once Upon a Time in America as a result of this thread and my copy is 220 minutes long. I can't believe there is a longer version out there.

Small Man Big Horse

I'm going through this thread at the moment: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=62098.0, which led to Rita, Sue and Bob, Too last night, and What's Up, Doc? tonight. Barbara Streisland's shockingly likeable in the latter, a Peter Bogdanovich effort which made me laugh a great deal, especially as proceedings become increasingly ridiculous. The rest of the cast are great too (I've always a huge amount of time for Madeline Kahn and Kenneth Mars), and the sharp snappy script made it a pleasure to watch. 8.1/10

BlodwynPig

Quote from: bgmnts on April 01, 2018, 11:36:00 PM
The Dawn of the Dead remake, especially it's music video intro, is so bloody good. Maybe Zack Snyder was on some kind of superdrug when he filmed it. It's everything a fast paced action horror should be.

Michael Kelly is great in it. Really great.

is that the one with the end credits being über grisly compared to the film?

bgmnts

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 02, 2018, 10:53:13 PM
is that the one with the end credits being über grisly compared to the film?

To be fair i think the film is grisly as is but yeah the end credits are pretty visceral.

The Moon in the Gutter by Jean-Jacques Beineix
Ineffably gorgeous. The whole thing looks like a glossy magazine spread and almost every shot is a crane shot. Feels crazily, fussily precise but also kind of hollow at the same time. None of the characters feel lived in at all, just mannequins in a maze of coloured lights. Unlike someone like DePalma, the excessive style doesn't seem to hold any interesting frenzied preoccupations. Underrated though, I guess. Deserves a Blu-Ray restoration/reissue at the very least.

bgmnts

Rewatching Hitman with Jet Li. Funny and with great kung fu action.

Random thought but  imagine if Bruce Lee was still alive say 20 years ago. You could have put him, Jet Li, Jackie Chan and Donnie Yen into Turtles costumes and have them fight goons for 90 minutes.

Perfect TMNT film.

itsfredtitmus

Isn't that all the trademarks of a du look film?

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on April 03, 2018, 02:52:13 AM
Isn't that all the trademarks of a du look film?

pretty much yeah. this is all that shit turned up to 11 though. it's the du look-iest i've ever seen

Dex Sawash

Valerian and a lot of other words

Big and daft, unmistakably Besson. Not good but very entertaining.
8/10

Fabian Thomsett

The Hit (1984)

A plot everyone's seen before - a couple of hitmen (John Hurt, Tim Roth) are hired to track down a supergrass (Terence Stamp) enjoying a nice retirement in Spain - but takes a turn towards existential road movie as it goes on. Sounds heavy, but there's a dry wit running through which stops it from becoming pretentious. Stamp and Hurt are tremendously good.

Large Noise

Le Petit Soldat- The first Godard film I've seen. Obviously very stylish and all that, but it turned out to be more interesting than I thought it was going to be after the first 20 minutes or so. Watched it with someone who's trying to quit smoking, felt sorry for them.

Wind River- No Country for Old Men meets Dead Man's Shoes meets the snow level from Golden Eye on N64. Don't think this will live all that long in the memory, but an enjoyable watch.

Three Crowns of the Sailor by Raúl Ruiz
Almost impossible to follow, but absolutely mesmerising in its best moments and one of the most visually inventive films I've ever seen. Pretty one of a kind.

St_Eddie

Quote from: bgmnts on April 02, 2018, 10:42:26 PM
I dont exactly know what it is but there is something about Chris Nolan films that comes across insufferably pretentious.

That's probably because they're insufferably pretentious.  Nolan is popcorn filmmaker.  There's nothing inherently wrong with that but the problem is that he makes popcorn movies, under the delusion that he's Stanley Kubrick.

Famous Mortimer

Didn't Kubrick make mainstream movies for large audiences too?

zomgmouse

Quote from: Fabian Thomsett on April 03, 2018, 10:30:48 PM
The Hit (1984)

A plot everyone's seen before - a couple of hitmen (John Hurt, Tim Roth) are hired to track down a supergrass (Terence Stamp) enjoying a nice retirement in Spain - but takes a turn towards existential road movie as it goes on. Sounds heavy, but there's a dry wit running through which stops it from becoming pretentious. Stamp and Hurt are tremendously good.

This is terrific and terrifically underrated and underseen. Frears needs to go back to doing these sorts of things instead of pumping out limp biopic after limp biopic. But also whatever makes him happy, I guess.

itsfredtitmus

Frears has somehow carved himself out a middlebrow niche
I wonder what his tv contemporaries like Leigh and Clarke would think about him now

bgmnts

True Confessions.

Forgot how dull this was. I dont know how a film starring De Niro, Duvall, Durning and Meredith could be so dull but it is.

Sebastian Cobb

Have a Nice Day. Good animated Chinese noir. Nice bit of eccentricity to it all.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on April 04, 2018, 09:30:37 PM
Didn't Kubrick make mainstream movies for large audiences too?

No.  Don't ask me to expand on that because I can't.  That's because I'm a thick cunt.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 05, 2018, 09:17:18 PM
That's because I'm a thick cunt.
Well, you used "insufferably pretentious" when you meant "at least he didn't wait 12 years then make Eyes Wide Shut", so the jury's still out, I suppose.

Nolan is hated by internet film-people like he slept with their Mum, or owes them money, or both.

One Deadly Summer by Jean Becker
A bit trashy, but I enjoyed it. Mainly for Isabelle Adjani's performance, as she is the best at going really convincingly mad in front of your eyes.

Ulysse by Agnès Varda
Lovely essay film in which Varda examines a photograph taken long ago, and how the subjects have changed since it was taken. At once joyful, melancholic, funny and inquisitive, it displays the personality that makes Varda such a treasure.

L'argent by Robert Bresson
Incredible, but uncompromisingly bleak. Counts as a final statement on the world from Bresson I guess, and it's one hell of a parting shot.

Vivement dimanche! by François Truffaut
Sort of by-the-numbers, but decorated with the finer details that make Truffaut's work eminently watchable. I've seen all his films now! Verdict: He never made a bad film. Some mediocre ones, sure. But never a bad one.

JoeyBananaduck

Have any of you seen Fallen Angel from 1942? I watched it about 10 years ago when I was on a film noir binge and remember very little other than really enjoying it and that it was sumptuously shot. Pretty much any shot throughout you would hang on your wall. Gonna watch that again tonight.

Enrico Palazzo

The People Under the Stairs
Wes Craven. Didn't think much of it but it was fun watching Ed and Nadine Hurley as the baddies.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Enrico Palazzo on April 06, 2018, 09:23:23 AM
Wes Craven. Didn't think much of it but it was fun watching Ed and Nadine Hurley as the baddies.

Aye, they're great in it.  Fun film.

Sebastian Cobb

Watched that Morvern Callar last night. That was decent.

Steven

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 06, 2018, 06:12:32 PM
Watched that Morvern Callar last night. That was decent.

I see what you did, there.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Enrico Palazzo on April 06, 2018, 09:23:23 AM

ha, didn't realise it was them, mind you I haven't seen it since before I first watched TP. Will watch again tonight.

itsfredtitmus

Golem, 1980
Stalker, sepia, never too far away from dank, drizzle concrete walls and puddle ridden corridors (sounds like an early Eminem rhyme), pitter patter of rain; Robocop, fake PSAs and adverts; Delicatessen, strange slapstick, sepia, confided spaces

Z

Colossal
Okay enough actually. For some reason the setting of the thing being Seoul pissed me off a bit, but otherwise I enjoyed it overall. Probably had something to do with it being under 2 hours and feeling like the kind of modern film that's incapable of staying under 2.5

Princess Cyd
Worst film I've seen in a long ass time.
I'm all for boring nice films of nice normal people being nice usually, but this drove me up the wall. The premise contains red herrings of drama that amount to nothing repeatedly (and I mean nothing, there is no point to the characters downplaying them beyond "these are just nice reasonable people here"), it's pursuit of low stakes breezy tones was so relentless that I found it kind of aggressive, as if it were trying to make me bail. Not one moment of it felt real.
Also made the error of making one of the leads a successful writer, so the whole environment is quite yuppieish and just unpleasant.