Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:05:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What Non-New Films Have You Seen? (2018 Edition)

Started by zomgmouse, January 07, 2018, 12:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zomgmouse

Just watched Shakes the Clown, another one of those "been meaning to for a long time" films. Really relished the first part though it quickly freewheeled into a bit of a mess - still charming in a dark as fuck way and adds a lot of poignancy with the alcoholism. Goldthwait is marvellous and there's a wonderful Robin Williams cameo. Disturbing and very very funny, especially in the beginning.

Billy

Saw In Bruges on Thursday too (same screening?). For some reason, based on the name and the fact it stars Colin Farrell, I'd always assumed it was some irritating romcom with Farrell playing some quirky hunky Irishman meeting Generic American Woman in Bruges and having a whirlwind romance over lingering shots of the city - like a shit version of Before Sunrise. Was nice to find out it was nothing of the sort and fairly enjoyable.

A day later I ended up watching 'Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri' and thinking "Crikey, this reminds me a lot of In Bruges" being completely oblivious to its connection.

Steven

The Cold Light Of Day 1989

Fictionalised take on Dennis Nilson. Very bleak, lots of brown and gray, hangovers and picking up blokes in greasy spoons, stranglings, corpse fucking, constant booming background noise that sounds like Darth Vader hyperventilating, it's not all fun and games though, he looks after a dear old man downstairs and next door's cat while she's away on holiday. The drains eventually get blocked, obviously.

Bad Day For The Cut 2017

Irish revenge drama set in Belfast. Farmer bloke lives with his dear old Mum, is not well liked by the locals, comes home to find his Ma with her brains bashed in. After clueless police drawing a blank and further calamities he decides to take justic into his own hands and solve who killed his mother and why, but discovering the truth may find him in over his head. It's not without a touch of humour and reminds me a bit of In Bruges in places.

Ingrid Goes West 2017

One of those films that always reminds me of Heathers, bitchy woman obsessed with another woman inserts herself into her life and tries to use social media to craft a fantasy existence of trendy opulence, until eventually the wheels inevitably fall off, and it's a long way down.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on January 12, 2018, 12:31:29 PM
Last night I watched This is Your Death. (Also called The Show) On Sky.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2088950/

Not half as clever as it wants to be and a kind of, almost Network wannabe. It was ok actually, entertaining enough and didn't take the piss out of your intelligence too much. It was made by Gus from Breaking Bad.
But then let's put it in context. I love Network and anything satirical about TV so it's in my world already but also I was just bored and putting anything on to avoid getting anywhere near another godawful waste of time marvel superhero film (FUUUUUUUUUUUCK OOOOOFFFFFFFFFF!).

It had the guy from Lost in the Sun which I saw last year and highly recommend. A surprisingly affecting little indie road movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3593046/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_12

Network is definitely one of my favourite films. 70's paranoia films are amazing anyway but this is probably my favourite.

neveragain

Emelie. Creepy babysitter flick. Nice twist on the babysitter-is-terrorised genre. Very strong performance from the lead (and the children too, which is rare). Not to be confused with Amelie.

Steven

Quote from: neveragain on January 14, 2018, 06:29:39 PM
Emelie. Creepy babysitter flick. Nice twist on the babysitter-is-terrorised genre. Very strong performance from the lead (and the children too, which is rare). Not to be confused with Amelie.

I forgot I watched that a while back, yeah it's a decent enough addition to the home invasion type genre. Two other recent ones with albeit very different takes on the same kind of premise are Better Watch Out and The Babysitter.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: neveragain on January 14, 2018, 06:29:39 PM

I liked this. Saw the ending coming a mile off but still a pretty good film.

Sebastian Cobb

35mm screening of Punch Drunk Love which I'd forgotten everything about apart from it had Adam Sandler and a harmonium in it.

As an added bonus there was a short also by PTA of Haim recording a few songs in the studio, which was nice.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Steven on January 14, 2018, 07:29:23 PM
I forgot I watched that a while back, yeah it's a decent enough addition to the home invasion type genre. Two other recent ones with albeit very different takes on the same kind of premise are Better Watch Out and The Babysitter.

I quite enjoyed The Babysitter, sure it's a bit trashy but it moves at a fast pace and the second half really delivers on everything that's set up in the first.

Small Man Big Horse

Guess Who Killed My Twelve Lovers? (Pen Huo Mei Ren Yu, 1970) - This romantic comedy thriller musical from Hong Kong sees a bunch of teenagers stranded on an island with a sexy woman who might be a mental murderess. Or she might be swell, we just don't know. A lot of the songs are pretty bland but their mundane repetitive lyrics often make them somehow bemusing, and there are two which are decent at least. Unfortunately the ending's a bit rushed and slightly rubbish, but in general it has an unusual charm which I was mostly won over by

Dex Sawash

Fight Club I had a snow day today and seemed like a good day to finally watch this. I don't think I get it,  4/10

Sin Agog

The Naked Emperor's Army Marches On, a documentary about an unhinged former Japanese soldier who goes around continuously harassing and actually beating up old men until they admit that they engaged in cannibalism in WWII.  Still one of my favourite ever movies.

Z

Quote from: Sin Agog on January 17, 2018, 09:26:50 PM
The Naked Emperor's Army Marches On, a documentary about an unhinged former Japanese soldier who goes around continuously harassing and actually beating up old men until they admit that they engaged in cannibalism in WWII.  Still one of my favourite ever movies.
The spoiler is the beating, surely?

Sin Agog

He does it enough times that not really.  It's bizarre the way they take place.  He bows, makes hushed small talk, suddenly loses it and whacks them upside the head, before bowing again on his way out.

Steven

Gerald's Game 2017

Stephen King adaptation about a sex game gone wrong, the aforementioned Gerald has a heart-attack leaving his wife handcuffed to the bed. Lack of food and water means she starts to hallucinate and things get a bit odd. One of the better King adaptations.

Mayhem 2017

Similar to the Belko Experiment, office block is closed down because staff are infected with a virus that gives way to their inhibitions which are usually violent. Entertaining enough with a tongue slightly in cheek.

Logan Lucky 2017

Wacky heist movie starring Daniel Craig doing a Souther accent. I thought it was a load of old mess and wasn't much entertained by it, also not funny at all.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Sin Agog on January 17, 2018, 09:26:50 PM
ive yet to see this one

go into edit and change the colour to "transparent" manually to spoiler btw

Sin Agog

Cheers.  Up to now I've just not bothered posting anything spoilery rather than figure that out.  If you do see it (that youtube link has English subs despite it saying they're Spanish), pretend you didn't read that part, as I remember it completely blindsided me when I finally found out the first time I watched it.

Shit Good Nose

Just finished a 5 hour sleuthing and talking marathon with All the President's Men and Zodiac.  Fuck me, they are great fucking films (ignoring Hoffman's rapiness), President's Men especially.

zomgmouse

Contraband, an early (1940) Powell/Pressburger collaboration (although only Powell is listed as a directorial credit). Takes a bit too long to get going but once it does it's a fun thriller with some light comic moments and good tense ones as well.

itsfredtitmus

Variety (1983)
A Woman Under The Influence of Whom?

was great
sadly it didn't have subtitles so i missed out on A LOT of dialogue cos my tinnitus and hearing have been especially terrible this week

Mr Banlon

The Friends of Eddie Coyle I'm sure I'd seen it before. Turns out I hadn't. Fucking ace.

itsfredtitmus

that the one with the three men with mask on a train?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Mr Banlon on January 19, 2018, 07:45:49 PM
The Friends of Eddie Coyle I'm sure I'd seen it before. Turns out I hadn't. Fucking ace.

Now watch The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (ta to whoever it was that put me on to this).

Mr Banlon

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 19, 2018, 10:00:35 PM
Now watch The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (ta to whoever it was that put me on to this).
The Killing of a Chinese Bookie and Husbands are my two favourite films by the Golden Greek.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Mr Banlon on January 19, 2018, 07:45:49 PM

It certainly is fucking ace.

Le pont du Nord by Jacques Rivette
Really enjoyable film buoyed by the charm of the two leads. Amazing what Rivette was able to conjure up with what was evidently a meagre budget.

Hôtel des Amériques by André Téchiné
Starts off intriguingly, but quickly gets airless and slow in a bad way, and ends up grasping at nothing.

Die Sehnsucht der Veronika Voss by Rainer Werner Fassbinder
Really gorgeous tragedy/elegy, and one of Fassbinder's best.

Made in Britain by Alan Clarke
Pretty compelling all the way through, but it's difficult to see it as anything other than a vehicle for Roth's great performance. As social commentary it's a bit strangled.

Fitzcarraldo by Werner Herzog
Finally saw it, it's good. But pretty much exactly what I expected it to be, which was a little disappointing. It feels like the shallowest of Herzog's 'classic period' films.

The Killer Inside Me by Michael Winterbottom
Grim and atmospheric but little more than that. Feels like a re-tread of better films.

Welcome to New York by Abel Ferrara
Phenomenal examination of an empty soul. One of the great 'staring into the abyss' films.

Dog Eat Dog by Paul Schrader
Lots of fun, with some great comic moments from Willem Dafoe. Dares to be genuinely eccentric, but never reaches a pitch of inspired madness. May become a cult film at some point.

The Love Witch by Anna Biller
Impeccably made oddity. Probably a bit long, but very entertaining.

Clash By Night by Fritz Lang
Really great melodrama about betrayal, thwarted ambitions and love being a losing game. Lacks many of the flourishes one might expect from Lang, as the film is much more actor-driven, but it's brilliant stuff.

3 Godfathers by John Ford
Possibly one of the most beautiful colour films I've ever seen in my life. Some of the shots of lonely figures among red sands are absolutely jaw-dropping. Possibly the Ford/Wayne film that has worked the most for me.

Le beau mariage by Éric Rohmer
Great stuff as usual from Rohmer. I love how he writes indecisive, introspective characters without slipping into making them annoying.

Identificazione di una donna by Michelangelo Antonioni
This is a straight-up bad film, folks. A middle-aged man's boring wank fantasy. "Aren't women inscrutable? Blah blah blah." Fuck off Michelangelo

zomgmouse

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on January 20, 2018, 12:32:42 AM
Fitzcarraldo by Werner Herzog
Finally saw it, it's good. But pretty much exactly what I expected it to be, which was a little disappointing. It feels like the shallowest of Herzog's 'classic period' films.

Ok but they dragged a boat

over a mountain

If the audacious grandiosity of that act doesn't move you to a state of crippling awe then I'm afraid you need another think.

Quote from: zomgmouse on January 20, 2018, 12:52:22 AM
If the audacious grandiosity of that act doesn't move you to a state of crippling awe then I'm afraid you need another think.

Admittedly, even years and years of hearing about how they dragged a boat over a mountain still didn't diminish the impact of seeing it for myself. There's a good 40 mins of the film which is impossible to watch without your jaw on the floor. I'm just unsure about the film he built around it.