Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:57:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What Non-New Films Have You Seen? (2018 Edition)

Started by zomgmouse, January 07, 2018, 12:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Torso

Quote from: Shameless Custard on April 17, 2018, 11:08:18 PM
Big Bad Wolves (2013)

An Israeli film about a bloke who kidnaps a school teacher he believes kidnapped and killed his young daughter. Precedes to torture him, as a cop also gets tangled up in the whole thing

Thought this was pretty good. You're left guessing whether blokey actually did it right to the end, and it's comedic enough in places (no, really!) to not be a total grimfest

Tarantino's favourite film of 2013, apparently

It's been a while since I saw this but isn't it made quite clear at the end that he did do it?

SteveDave

Quote from: Z on April 15, 2018, 06:27:10 PM
Andre the Giant Documentary
Jesus, this thing absolutely races through his life, doesn't it?

I bloody loved this. Hearing Hulk Hogan doing impressions of Andre and Macho Man Randy Savage was lovely. And Ric Flair and his see-through hair.

itsfredtitmus

oi for england
watched this on a dodgy 7th generation vhs copy on youtube and it was still so good

I wonder where british television would have went if we kept going down this route and never stopped (answer: we'd probably have less nostalgic-for-threads-and-bfi-funded-80s-stuff wheatleys and meadowses)

Custard

Nay SPOILERZ, Mr Torso! ;-D

Midnight Special (2016)

Made by the same team what made Take Shelter, and again starting Michael Shannon, this is a decent slow-burning sci-fi.

Basically a kid is kidnapped/freed by his dad  (Shannon) from a cult as he has certain special powers. The government are also in hot pursuit.

Excellent supporting cast, with Kirsten Dunst, Joel Edgerton, Adam Driver, and the kid's quite good too.

greenman

Quote from: Shameless Custard on April 18, 2018, 01:14:12 PM
Nay SPOILERZ, Mr Torso! ;-D

Midnight Special (2016)

Made by the same team what made Take Shelter, and again starting Michael Shannon, this is a decent slow-burning sci-fi.

Basically a kid is kidnapped/freed by his dad  (Shannon) from a cult as he has certain special powers. The government are also in hot pursuit.

Excellent supporting cast, with Kirsten Dunst, Joel Edgerton, Adam Driver, and the kid's quite good too.

It turns out Santiago Calatrava is an inter dimensional being.

greenman

I did enjoy the after dark americana atmophere but it did feel a little slight in the end, magic boy crossing dimensions in itself isn't exactly dramatically deep.

Go (1999)

Pulp Fiction for the American Pie crowd. Pretty terrible. And I was watching it for the first time, so I didn't even have nostalgia. That would be the only way to get anything out of this very dated rubbish. Aimed at wanking teenagers in the 90s.  2/5.

phantom_power

I love Go. I think it does a great job of having the story split up and converge in interesting ways, and it is never predictable. Great soundtrack as well. It is always amusing that the bloke from Grange Hill is in it as well

Dr Syntax Head

Go. When I first saw it I was drunk and thought it was great. Watched it about a year ago and realised it's pretty bad.

Sebastian Cobb

MARLINA THE MURDERER IN FOUR ACTS

Well worth a punt, it's grim but good like.

Large Noise

Escape from New York

Can't help but feel that the fantastic 'in the future Manhattan is a prison island and a bunch of left wing radicals have kidnapped the president and bought him there' concept could have resulted in a more interesting film. But it is a low budget action movie we're talking about. As with other Carpenter films there are some interesting subversive political undertones.

Sebastian Cobb

You should watch the sequel next; The President is a lot like trump.

sevendaughters

Neon Demon - didn't like this at all, overwrought, not particularly original, and considering my ideal visual aesthetic is Kenneth Clark's Civilisation I didn't particularly rate the hyper-stylised visuals much at all. Too clean, too sterile, even if that is the point.

À nos amours by  Maurice Pialat
Fantastic. Messy, discomforting, raw, aggressive, provocative. Bonnaire is tremendous.

Boy Meets Girl by Leos Carax
Very much my kind of thing, but very derivative. In a fun way though.

Full Moon in Paris by Éric Rohmer
A good one. Lots of nice standout moments, especially near the end. Pascale Ogier was very talented, a natural presence.

L'amour à mort by Alain Resnais
A surprising return to something closer to the mood of Resnais' earlier stuff. Great cast, interesting philosophical probing, didn't quite take off for me emotionally.

L'amour par terre by Jacques Rivette
Really, really enjoyed this. Possibly my favourite Rivette so far? I don't know, I'll have to think about that. Geraldine Chaplin and Jane Birkin are such a winning pair. Rivette's stuff is just so full of ideas, it's amazing.

Large Noise

Tampopo

Japanese classic about a single mother trying to become a master noodle chef. Saw Ed Norton describe this as one of his favourite films ever the other day, then happened upon it today. It's inventive and entertaining but I didn't find it all that riveting.

St_Eddie

Gregory Torso

Quote from: sevendaughters on April 20, 2018, 09:28:56 PM
Neon Demon - didn't like this at all, overwrought, not particularly original, and considering my ideal visual aesthetic is Kenneth Clark's Civilisation I didn't particularly rate the hyper-stylised visuals much at all. Too clean, too sterile, even if that is the point.

Completely agree with this, although I thought Keanu was really good.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Gregory Torso on April 21, 2018, 05:30:29 AM
Completely agree with this, although I thought Keanu was really good.

yeah totally fair, couldn't see what he strictly added, but it was a good diversion

Large Noise

True Romance

This felt like a composite of 100 different films I'd seen before. But to its credit, many of them were made later. No Country, Pineapple Express and Lost Highway are all in here. Even The End of the Fucking World seems to pay homage with the way the two main characters look. It's absurd but it wears that on its sleeve. It's a male fantasy, but it acknowledges and pokes fun at that fact. It suffers from the usual Tarantino thing of most of the characters sounding like QT, but even then there's plenty of skilful writing. It also unfortunately features the Tarantino trademark of gratuitous use of the N by white characters. 

Over all though I really enjoyed it.

Dr Rock

Large Noise

Yeah he's brilliant, I wonder how much that scene factored in the decision to cast him as Tony Soprano.

Bazooka

Quote from: Large Noise on April 22, 2018, 11:08:56 AM
Yeah he's brilliant, I wonder how much that scene factored in the decision to cast him as Tony Soprano.

I believe from an inside source he was originally approached to play Meadow, but due to a schedule conflict he had to play Tony. 

spamwangler

Valarean and the legend of culrly's gold

Fair play, this film gave me a ballache up my arse from about five minutes in.

space chad was like an unlikable side character from malcom in the middle, like a teenage millhouse trying to be james bond

eyebrows was ok, considering the stuff that the fucking scriptmade her say

Rhianna was good enough for the film as the disposable sexy immigrant space prostitute, (that is to say, she was crap)
who in her non Rhianna form looked like something you would find on the cover of an early late 90s happy hardcore album cover

the most tacky, unimaginative use of an enormous cgi budget ive ever seen, it looked like an advert

i was going to say it looked like a computer game, but the last two games ive played are shadow of the collosus and halflife2, which looked great, were cinematically enthralling and never had rhianna pole dancing in a naitive american head dress

moon raker for millennials 0/10

Dex Sawash

zomgmouse

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 19, 2018, 10:38:23 PM
MARLINA THE MURDERER IN FOUR ACTS

Well worth a punt, it's grim but good like.

I did not get on with this at all. Felt so sloppy and incoherent and almost entirely pointless.

Sebastian Cobb

Saw memento in the cinema. Its seen it when I was about 15 but had forgotten most of it. Fitting really.