Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:46:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What Non-New Films Have You Seen? (2018 Edition)

Started by zomgmouse, January 07, 2018, 12:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

After I got in last night I clocked the film expiring on Mubi was Strange Days. It was OK but hasn't aged well in what it thought 1999 would look like. It could also have done with having about an hour shaved off it.

It also appears to be where Fatboy Slim  lifted the 'Right Here! Right Now!' sample from. The line sticks out like a sore thumb.

SavageHedgehog

It has a bit of a reputation for being underrated, but my memory is that after a strong first half-hour or so it wastes a very intriguing premises on a very clichéd and not very exciting action film. Shame this isn't one of those 90s films they turned into a TV series, bet that would have at least got more mileage out of the concept. While flawed Brainscan is a much more interesting take on a similar premise.

greenman

Quote from: Large Noise on April 22, 2018, 10:51:21 AM
True Romance

This felt like a composite of 100 different films I'd seen before. But to its credit, many of them were made later. No Country, Pineapple Express and Lost Highway are all in here. Even The End of the Fucking World seems to pay homage with the way the two main characters look. It's absurd but it wears that on its sleeve. It's a male fantasy, but it acknowledges and pokes fun at that fact. It suffers from the usual Tarantino thing of most of the characters sounding like QT, but even then there's plenty of skilful writing. It also unfortunately features the Tarantino trademark of gratuitous use of the N by white characters. 

Over all though I really enjoyed it.

It reminds me of those early Steely Dan tracks Donald Fagen doesn't sing on that it arguably seems to work better with Tony' Scott's more conventional direction, with Tarantino doing it himself I suspect everything might have gone too far.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on April 24, 2018, 05:04:50 PM
It has a bit of a reputation for being underrated, but my memory is that after a strong first half-hour or so it wastes a very intriguing premises on a very clichéd and not very exciting action film. Shame this isn't one of those 90s films they turned into a TV series, bet that would have at least got more mileage out of the concept. While flawed Brainscan is a much more interesting take on a similar premise.

I'll keep an eye out for that.

There's also Brainstorm, Natalie Wood's last film. That gets ratings just for having the Burroughs-Wellcome building in it. A wonderous and mad bit of brutalism.

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 24, 2018, 07:37:16 PM

There's also Brainstorm, Natalie Wood's last film. That gets ratings just for having the Burroughs-Wellcome building in it. A wonderous and mad bit of brutalism.

Wait, I meant Brainstorm. Brainscan is pretty bad, but kind of fun.

Gulftastic

My All American (2015). Deeply conservative sports biopic, but I'm a sucker for a sports biopic. Very manipulative, wringing every bit of sadness from the real life story behind it. I'm a sap, so tears were shed.

Large Noise

Quote from: greenman on April 24, 2018, 06:05:59 PM
It reminds me of those early Steely Dan tracks Donald Fagen doesn't sing on that it arguably seems to work better with Tony' Scott's more conventional direction, with Tarantino doing it himself I suspect everything might have gone too far.
I agree, but I would like to see that non-linear version given how well it worked in Pulp Fiction.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 24, 2018, 07:37:16 PM

^ that's just up the road from me. They've let pine trees grow up all around it and built some shit red brick boxes too. Glaxo Smith-Kline Cunts.

Sin Agog

Hopscotch 1980 Walter Matthau.  Right up there with The Stunt Man when it comes to completely unpredictable, intelligent action-comedies that never quite found an audience because they're too mercurial for their own good.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Sin Agog on April 25, 2018, 09:05:08 PM
Hopscotch 1980 Walter Matthau.  Right up there with The Stunt Man when it comes to completely unpredictable, intelligent action-comedies that never quite found an audience because they're too mercurial for their own good.

Isn't Charley Varrick with Matthau like that as well? No comedy element, but an intelligent and well thought out caper film.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: monkfromhavana on April 28, 2018, 08:20:24 PM
Isn't Charley Varrick with Matthau like that as well? No comedy element, but an intelligent and well thought out caper film.

Charley Varrick is aces.  Probably Don Siegel's best.  It was the first of three back-to-back largely "straight" thrillers Matthau did, followed by The Laughing Policeman (nowhere near as good as it should be) and the masterful Taking of Pelham 123.

Just finished Fritz Lang's Die Nibelungen (the complete 282min version) having chickened out when the same restoration did the rounds in the local art house cinemas some years ago.  It's a spectacle to be sure, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't slightly "meh" about it when comparing it with M, Metropolis and Dr Mabeuse. 

Blumf

Quote from: spamwangler on April 22, 2018, 10:35:27 PM
Valarean and the legend of culrly's gold

Fair play, this film gave me a ballache up my arse from about five minutes in.

space chad was like an unlikable side character from malcom in the middle, like a teenage millhouse trying to be james bond

eyebrows was ok, considering the stuff that the fucking scriptmade her say

Finally got around to watching this. I was so up for it when I first heard of it, really liked Fifth Element. Then I saw the two dull looking leads, heard the negative reviews, and gave up.

And yep, it really wasn't worth it. Just two sociopathic charisma vacuums going through a bunch of surprisingly dull set-pieces that never seemed to properly tie into anything else. You just couldn't give a single shit for anybody, from the sub-Avatar noble savages on up, especially Space Chad and Eyebrows McGee.

Worse still, as the boredom sets in, you just end up picking holes. "He just busted through a wall from an air section to a water section, he's flooded a whole deck?", "The little creature thing's been with them in that box the whole time, how is it not been battered to death with all the action they've been through?" etc. etc. The film actively makes you hate it.

Such a fucking waste.

Sebastian Cobb

Saw Bottle Rocket, Wes Anderson's first film last night. It was alright. It seems Anderson was still finding his feet and Wilson hadn't fully developed into someone really annoying.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 01, 2018, 01:26:36 PM
Saw Bottle Rocket, Wes Anderson's first film last night. It was alright. It seems Anderson was still finding his feet and Wilson hadn't fully developed into someone really annoying.

Bottle Rocket and Rushmore are the only Anderson films I like.  I don't care for the rest of them - largely pointless and odd purely for the sake of being odd (caveat - not yet seen Isle of Dogs).  At least those two have a bit of depth to them.

Other films in which Wilson isn't really annoying include The Minus Man.

Sebastian Cobb

I swerved a lot of them because of Wilson and a lot of them give off the impression of relying on quirky artifice. I enjoyed The Grand Budapest Hotel though.

sevendaughters

saw Persona in the cinema over the weekend. Really good. Head-spinning. Not a huge fan of Bergman but he really nailed it here, perhaps even anticipated some of the perils of our day, so much so that his imitators might make the meat of this film seem old hat. in the shot where a hand gets nailed to a cross someone in front of me went GOOD LORD spontaneously. 8/10.

magval

Fistful of Dollars is on in Belfast this week, so I watched that. Nice new restoration, hadn't seen the film in years. It's much, much better than I remember, much leaner and funny as hell too.

Came home and watched it again on DVD with Christopher Frayling's commentary.

Go see it if you can, the bigger the screen the better. It's probably on outside Belfast too like.

Also on was The Old Dark House. Brilliant film.

Sebastian Cobb

It was on Sunday and Tonight at the GFT.

My folks were about Sunday and I was too knackered tonight to bother.

They're showing a 35mm screening of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly next week I think.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 01, 2018, 08:00:28 PM
They're showing a 35mm screening of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly next week I think.

Hopefully not the 4K restoration which is the current "standard" version.  Just a little bit yellow...

Sebastian Cobb

Last night I watched Douglas Sirk's All I Desire, it were a good bleak criticism in small-town American suburbia and broken dreams. Stanwyck was great in it.

zomgmouse

Finally wrapped my eyes around Bringing Up Baby. Wonderful and manic. Such a silly, fast ride, so much going on.

Blumf

Hoffman (1970) (Talking Pictures TV, so may turn up again)

Very interesting. Very dark. I can see why this was one of Peter Sellers' 70's flops, but it's by no means his fault, the man is excellent in it. It's just a very awkward film to freely enjoy, especially today. The title character spouts out statements that you'd hear from modern day MGTOW's and (for the first half, at least) you have a very tense and bleak viewing.

The ending somewhat unravels the beginning, but I'm not sure what direction they could have taken. If you were to make Sellers' counterpart, played by Sinead Cusack, any wiser or tougher, she wouldn't have made much sense at the start, but does she make sense at the end?

4 escargots out of 5

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/hoffman/31117/looking-back-at-peter-sellers-in-hoffman

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Blumf on May 03, 2018, 10:48:21 PM
Hoffman (1970) (Talking Pictures TV, so may turn up again)

Sellers hated it and tried to buy all the prints, mainly because Hoffman was basically him and it opened his eyes to what a strange rapey sort he was.

I think a large reason for it tanking was that it was heavily marketed, rather bizarrely, as a comedy, a tag it still has in many places to this day (IMDB, for example).  It's anything but, of course.

Sebastian Cobb

I watched that German film Western about some builders working in a small Bulgarian village. It's well shot, has some brilliant scenes of people communicating despite not being able to speak the same language. It keeps you guessing as well. The ending confused me slightly I think it's supposed to have a bit of mystery about it.

Sebastian Cobb

After that I got home and watched As You Are, that was quite good as well.

Dex Sawash

Most Recent of Planet of Apes

Wasn't as good as first 2. Second one was best I think. The little naked new ape had to wear a little blue down vest lol. Should get shopped into a tory photo with a dog.

'The Greatest Showman' by Michael Gracey

It's okay. I'm usually a fan of unashamed artifice, and I'm even susceptible to a bit of corniness, but the songs are just horrendously bad. It works in spots.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Dex Sawash on May 05, 2018, 07:55:35 PM
The little naked new ape had to wear a little blue down vest...

Yummy, yummy, yummy.  I got love in my tummy and I feel like a-lovin' you (Mr. Ape Man).