Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:23:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What Non-New Films Have You Seen? (2018 Edition)

Started by zomgmouse, January 07, 2018, 12:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

Hell Or High Water (2016)

Two brothers are pulling some low level bank heists in deep Texas. Jeff Bridges is a semi-retired cop. Their paths will meet in this slow-paced, atmospheric modern western thriller. I really enjoyed it.

Dr Syntax Head

I enjoyed Hell or High Water far more than I expected to. Will definitely watch again and would highly recommend. I am a Chris Pine fan though so bias and all that.

Glebe

Labyrinth. Haven't watched it since those halcyon '80s video days, it doesn't quite hold up now. Henson's effects work is generally superb, of course (although those dancing fire things are a bit naff).

magval

Ben Foster is great, that looks well worth a look

Custard

Yeah, Hell and High Water is a cracker. Well worth a butchers, and also a gander

greenman

On CaBs advice tracked down Hal "JR" Hartley's The Unbelievable Truth, first film of his I'v seen. Stuck me as a rather strange mix of bratpack romatic drama/comedy and Lynch style deadpan Americana send up although I think it does mostly work, perhaps doesn't quite live up to its opening? the circular dialog scene in the dinner certainly got my laughing more than anything I'v seen in awhile.

Also got Atom Egoyan's The Adjuster at the same point and was very pleasantly supprised by it. A lot of what I'd heard was that his previous work was a buildup to Exotica yet honestly if anything this felt slicker to me although far less direct in style. Again very much brought Lynch to mind for me but if anything it feels like it pre-empts his Lost Highway/Mulholland era  in style, maybe with a bit less of the surreal creeping dread and more general melancholy. Elias Koteas showing he was just about perfect for this kind of film for me as well, arguably better than any of Llynchs leads?

greenman

Hell or High Water did depend quite heavily on Bridges redoing his performance from True Grit, besides that I thought it was decent rather than great.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: greenman on May 08, 2018, 02:30:52 PM
On CaBs advice tracked down Hal "JR" Hartley's The Unbelievable Truth, first film of his I'v seen. Stuck me as a rather strange mix of bratpack romatic drama/comedy and Lynch style deadpan Americana send up although I think it does mostly work, perhaps doesn't quite live up to its opening? the circular dialog scene in the dinner certainly got my laughing more than anything I'v seen in awhile.

I highly recommend Simple Men. Damn I should really get back to my Hal Hartley thread.

zomgmouse

Two more films by Jacques Demy:

Model Shop, his first English-language film, with Anouk Aimée reprising her role as Lola, also starring Gary Lockwood who I've only ever seen in 2001: A Space Odyssey which was weirdly enough released just the year before. There was a lot less fantasy in this film which meant that his usual doses of malaise and alienating reality were brought much more to the forefront without the sheen of joy and colour to shield it. Felt almost too real in parts.

Donkey Skin. After the tough life of his previous film he goes back to a literal fairytale and it's quite glorious and sumptuous and very very weird. I liked this a lot, the splendour and humour mixed very well.

Dex Sawash

Lost in Space (1998) took 4 evenings to get through as it is both bad and long.
Gary Oldman is good. Everyone else is bad.

Custard

Batman Vs. Two-Face (2017)

The rushed follow-up to 2016's The Return Of The Caped Crusaders, which saw Adam West and Burt Ward returning to voice the characters in a very light-hearted and in-jokey romp

Eh, it was alright. Not as good as the previous one, though it still made me smile a few times

Was pretty sad seeing it dedicated to the memory of West at the end

Vinyl by Andy Warhol

Really liked it. I don't know why it works, it just does.

Water Drops on Burning Rocks by François Ozon

Curiously flat rendering of a typical Fassbinder scenario of cruelty. Feels too much like an exercise in pastiche, despite some engaging performances.

Dr Rock

I had the misfortune to watch Scorcese's Shine A Light which is basically the Rolling Stones in Concert re 2008 after about ten minutes. I'm a fan of much of their work, mostly when Brian Jones was involved and they were experimental; I like 20000 Light Years From Home and She's A Rainbow and early singles like 19th Nervous Breakdown and Under My Thumb... They haven't been that band since Exile On Main Street. Not that I don't like some stuff after that. I have every album up to about 1980.

Well in the 'movie', Keith Richards could barely play his famous riffs, or anything else, all the squiddly diddly guitar work came from Ronnie Wood, though they'd keep the camera on Richards as if he was playing it. What a swizz.

Jagger spends more energy on dancing about and whipping up the crowd than hitting the right note or even bothering to sing it. All the songs are their most obvious, and all, including Sympathy For The Devil, come out as a bluesy clangy mess with the backing singers or some of the other 30 people on stage (but rarely seen on camera) often holding the song together. Not much fun.

sevendaughters

Nuts In May. Not seen for about 10 years. One of the funniest films ever made. Surprised it hasn't the reputation of a Spinal Tap, but I guess there's no epiphenomenal culture to latch it onto. Been doing Alison Steadman's voice all morning.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: sevendaughters on May 14, 2018, 01:42:29 PM
Nuts In May. Not seen for about 10 years. One of the funniest films ever made. Surprised it hasn't the reputation of a Spinal Tap, but I guess there's no epiphenomenal culture to latch it onto. Been doing Alison Steadman's voice all morning.

Very popular on here. 

Patriots Day.  A lot better than I was expecting.  I liked the fact that it was fairly bullshit and flag-waving free for most of it.  Could do without those occasional moments where an upset and helpless Marky Mark shrugs his shoulders at such a cruel world, but around those moments it was surprisingly low key.  Reminiscent of the excellent 21 Hours at Munich.

I know Marky Mark's character was a fictional construct, and his little meeting Dun Meng was a VERY obvious attempt at atonement for nearly killing an Asian man in his youth, but otherwise it was nice that he wasn't a macho hero who was always in the right place at the right time.

I think a solid 6.5 to 7 out of 10.

St_Eddie

Quote from: sevendaughters on May 14, 2018, 01:42:29 PM

What a strange coincidence.  I was literally thinking of creating a thread for Nuts in May, earlier today!  However, this comment...

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on May 14, 2018, 01:50:06 PM
Very popular on here.

...leads me to suspect that there nuts-in-may already be an existing thread, so instead I'll simply leave my favourite moment from the film here...

Quote from: Nuts in MayCandice Marie: "Kiss Prudence..."

Keith: "No."

Sebastian Cobb

Rewatched Nuts in May a while back. I've had Abigail's Party on my computer for a while but not yet gotten around to watching it.

Last night I watched Tootsie. It's basically just a serious Mrs Doubtfire isn't it?

Cuellar

Watched that Get Out the other day. Enjoyed it, tense, sinister and compelling, if at times cheesy (especially the end, and it's not a huge spoiler, 'I TOLD you not to go in that house!!'). Thought Daniel Kaluuya was very good.

Saw on IMDB that Peele was influenced by Psychoville to an extent, but can't really find anything substantiating that (beyond Kaluuya being in both, of course).

St_Eddie

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 14, 2018, 02:26:53 PM
Rewatched Nuts in May a while back. I've had Abigail's Party on my computer for a while but not yet gotten around to watching it.

You've not seen Abigail's Party yet?  I recommend pushing it up to the top of your 'to watch' list.  It's sublime.

SIDENOTE: If you've ever watched Julia Davis in Nighty Night, then it should be clear where Davis got her inspiration from.

Dr Syntax Head

Custard

Abigail's Party is one of the greatest things evorrrrr. So is Nuts In May

zomgmouse

Tarkovsky's The Sacrifice. Sort of odd to be watching one of his films in the Swedish language, made it feel like a languid Bergman. Nevertheless absorbing and those final scenes will probably stay with me for a while, particularly the sharp cut from the fire to the boy.

Franco's Succubus. Pretty sumptuous and surreal and though it's held together by the finest of threads it's quite something.

Sebastian Cobb

Watched Shanty Tramp last night some 1967 budget pulp affair. It's proper grim and unsympathetic. The main character is basically painted to be horrid.

SPOILERS BELOW

It starts out with a bent evangelist trying to bilk the locals, he decides he wants to have sex with her but she ignores him.
Then she goes to a bar and is dancing with some fella but some bad biker comes into town and she cops off with him. She says she'll shag him for money but he decides he's going to take it for free. A local black lad who fancies her breaks it up and she insists he goes back to her barn for sex. Her dad catches them and she says he raped her, he goes off to form a lynch mob. She lies to the black guy and says he'll set the story straight and says where to hide. She continues lying and the lads go after him but her dad realises she's bullshitting and knocks her about. It looks like her dad is about to get a bit rapey but she stabs him. The police find the dad and she runs off with the evangelist.

It's all a bit of a mad whirlwind; it probably would've gained notoriety for being awful/horrid but it looks like it was missing for ages and they had to piece together the 3 known prints of it and painstakingly restore it.

Shit Good Nose

Leone's Duck You Sucker/A Fistful of Dynamite/Once Upon A Time...The Revolution.  The full version.

Still a brilliant under rated masterpiece, and the American Kino Lorber blu ray looks amazing.  It also restores the original uncensored dialogue and has the full climactic flashback (shortened on most previous DVD releases).

Shit Good Nose

Momentum (2015).  Fuuuuuuucking hell.  I mean, FUUUUUCKING HELL!!!!!!  It's bad.  Really really really bad.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on May 16, 2018, 03:00:28 PM
Momentum (2015).  Fuuuuuuucking hell.  I mean, FUUUUUCKING HELL!!!!!!  It's bad.  Really really really bad.

Does Purefoy get his nob out?

Sebastian Cobb

Last night - Gholam bit like taxi driver set in London with an Iranian bloke who was a child soldier.

Tonight I watched Redoubtable - that biopic of Godard's late 60's political period. That was quite good.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on May 16, 2018, 03:00:28 PM

Ah, but tell us what you really think.

magval

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on May 15, 2018, 02:09:54 PM
Leone's Duck You Sucker/A Fistful of Dynamite/Once Upon A Time...The Revolution.  The full version.

Still a brilliant under rated masterpiece, and the American Kino Lorber blu ray looks amazing.  It also restores the original uncensored dialogue and has the full climactic flashback (shortened on most previous DVD releases).

Will I need a multiregion player to watch it?