Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:37:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What Non-New Films Have You Seen? (2018 Edition)

Started by zomgmouse, January 07, 2018, 12:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shit Good Nose

magval

Loada bollocks. No UK release on BD at all for this one.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: magval on May 17, 2018, 07:12:25 PM
Loada bollocks. No UK release on BD at all for this one.

Either get yourself a multiregion player (they're reasonably priced now), or just get the region B German or French release - they're identical to the previous DVD releases (although obviously a different - and not as good - print from the KL release).

magval

What is reasonably priced these days? Can you recommend a player?

Sebastian Cobb

What player do you have? Some of them can be unlocked by sending special codes via universal remote and stuff.

magval

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: magval on May 18, 2018, 07:08:39 PM
What is reasonably priced these days? Can you recommend a player?

About £100-150.  You can get them from eBay and Amazon, but these guys are the most reliable - http://www.mrmdvd.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=159  They've been in the multi-region business for years (I bought my first multi-region DVD player from them way back in 2001), and they give you a 1 year warranty on the players they sell, and any mod work to your own player (although, given they charge £119 for that, you may as well just buy a new player from them).

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 19, 2018, 04:26:57 PM
What player do you have? Some of them can be unlocked by sending special codes via universal remote and stuff.

Unless things have changed in the last couple of years, code hacks from remotes only work for DVD - as far as I know you can only make blu-ray players multi-region with hardware/chipping work, because blu-ray regions are determined by the hardware not the firmware.

phantom_power

Brawl in Cell Block 99. Wasn't expecting something so grim, or that many head stompings.

steveh

Super Snooper (aka Super Fuzz) - very silly 1981 Italian-produced Terrence Hill / Ernest Borgnine comedy about a Miami cop who gets super powers from an atomic test but which disappear every time he sees the colour red. Moves along at a decent speed with a good gag rate, making up for the rather cheap production and sometimes rather unnatural (translated?) dialogue.

Had never come across this until a chance Amazon recommendation - seem to be a load of Italian movies of that era now on Prime Video.

Steven

Quote from: steveh on May 20, 2018, 11:20:16 AM
Super Snooper (aka Super Fuzz) - very silly 1981 Italian-produced Terrence Hill / Ernest Borgnine comedy about a Miami cop who gets super powers from an atomic test but which disappear every time he sees the colour red. Moves along at a decent speed with a good gag rate, making up for the rather cheap production and sometimes rather unnatural (translated?) dialogue.

Had never come across this until a chance Amazon recommendation - seem to be a load of Italian movies of that era now on Prime Video.

I vaguely remember this from when I was a kid, "Afghanistan Bananistan?"

Shit Good Nose

Steve Jobs, the Danny Boyle one with Fassbender.  Pretty good.  The way it jumped around, with a constant soundtrack (some of which sounded like it was courtesy of John Carpenter) made it feel like a two hour long trailer.  Plus Kate Winslet couldn't make up her mind whether she wanted to be Polish or American.  Fassbender, jeff Daniels, Michale Stuhlbarg and Seth Rogen all excellent.  Plus it made me hate Apple even more than I already do, which is no bad thing. 

Have to see the Ashton Kutcher one now.

Sebastian Cobb

Get them in the skip and watch Pirates Of Silicon Valley instead. Jobs is played by Dr Carter from E.R.

Shit Good Nose

Already seen it (in fact I saw it before I had any idea who Steve Jobs was).  Thought it was...okay.  Typical TV movie trappings.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: steveh on May 20, 2018, 11:20:16 AM

It's a shame Sergio Corbucci switched to dumbass comedy in the 70s.  I find most of those Terence Hill and Bud Spencer films excruciating to watch.

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on May 20, 2018, 03:14:07 PM
I find most of those Terence Hill and Bud Spencer films excruciating to watch.

Same! Never got the hype

Sebastian Cobb

Just got back from seeing Lindsay Anderson's If....

Hadn't seen it before, what a cracking film it is. You can see a proto-Alex in McDowell's performance but I reckon I preferred this to Clockwork Orange.

Steven

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 20, 2018, 06:06:41 PM
Hadn't seen it before, what a cracking film it is. You can see a proto-Alex in McDowell's performance but I reckon I preferred this to Clockwork Orange.

McDowell's asked Anderson's advice on how to play Alex, and he said "That scene in If.. where you're about to go into the gym to be caned and pull that smile.. That's Alex."

Large Noise

The Machinist

Thought it was very good. Had a look for some interesting reviews/analysis but didn't see much, which surprised me because it seemed like it'd be right up the political theory folks' alleys.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 20, 2018, 06:06:41 PM
Just got back from seeing Lindsay Anderson's If....

I MUCH prefer Clockwork Orange, but I have always wondered if the rumours about the real reason for the switch to black and white (Anderson basically ran out of colour film and there wasn't any money left to buy new stock, so instead they used black and white off-cuts salvaged from a bin from recently completed productions) hold any truth - McDowall and Anderson and the crew have always told differing and contradicting stories about it.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on May 20, 2018, 06:44:24 PM
I MUCH prefer Clockwork Orange, but I have always wondered if the rumours about the real reason for the switch to black and white (Anderson basically ran out of colour film and there wasn't any money left to buy new stock, so instead they used black and white off-cuts salvaged from a bin from recently completed productions) hold any truth - McDowall and Anderson and the crew have always told differing and contradicting stories about it.

There might be some truth in it, but I can also well believe it was just easier to shoot the dark bits in black and white. Faster film and that innit?

I'm sure i've heard of other films that have suddenly switched to black and white for budget reasons as well.

Not related to this (slightly related to Redoubtable, which I watched the other day) I was reading Jean Luc Godard was critical of Kodak because he couldn't get good results shooting black people on it when he was filming in Mozambique, this was apparently because Kodak didn't bother to produce reference cards depicting people of colour until 1995.

DukeDeMondo

Miss Violence (2013)

I thought this was fucking repugnant. Absolutely rancid. Said nothing worth hearing that a billion other films didn't say better. Properly reprehensible. Vile. I haven't hated anything so much in an age.

zomgmouse

Alice in the Cities. Thought this was pretty astounding. Gave off a great sense of place and not feeling at home at the same time, as well as profound personal connection while having no physical connection to the world. Moved me a lot.

Sebastian Cobb

Just watched that Filmworker documentary about Kuberick's right-hand man Leon Vitali. What a sacrifice abd what a grafter; he was doing things better than entire teams on other films abd still dedicating his life to Kuberick's work to ensure new transfers look and sound right.

zomgmouse

Entertainment, the Neil Hamburger one. Surreal and bleak, a road movie that just drives nowhere, like the best of them do. Horrifyingly resonant in parts. Also very funny but in the most depressing way possible.

Also watched Another Year. It's almost Leigh by numbers but even that is phenomenal. His films are so fine-tuned and yet have a real and human feel to them. Wonderful.

Sebastian Cobb

Watched that Jeune Femme the other night, wasn't bad.

Dex Sawash

Snatched with Amy Schumer and Private Benjamin. Fuck me is it bad. Managed to sleep for a bit of it.

phantom_power

The Visitor, a mental Omen-ish horror from 1979 with a far better cast than the plot deserves. Some interesting directorial flourishes but I am not sure how intentional they are, given the shoddiness of the rest of the film. How they got John Huston, Shelley Duvall, Glenn Ford and others in this is a wonder. I don't know how well known it is in cult cirlces

neveragain

Danny Boyle's The Beach with Leo, Tilda and a lot of familiar faces. (Johnson from Peep Show's in it!) A load of old tosh if you were to analyse it but I like the journey and the 90's dance music.

Sebastian Cobb

The Squid and the Whale. Made me feel a bit uncomfortable but I'm not sure why (it wasn't horrific or anything), Jeff Daniels played an absolute wanker quite well though.

Sebastian Cobb

After that I fancied something a bit less maudlin so watched I'm Gonna Git You Sucka. Classic.