Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:32:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What Non-New Films Have You Seen? (2018 Edition)

Started by zomgmouse, January 07, 2018, 12:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex Sawash

Logan Lucky was not funny. I sort of recalled CaB being pleasantly surprised back in the thread. Maybe it was just too sophisticated for me.

Steven

Quote from: Dex Sawash on May 27, 2018, 02:18:29 PM
Logan Lucky was not funny. I sort of recalled CaB being pleasantly surprised back in the thread. Maybe it was just too sophisticated for me.

I felt similarly:

Quote from: Steven on January 17, 2018, 09:34:41 PM
Logan Lucky 2017

Wacky heist movie starring Daniel Craig doing a Souther accent. I thought it was a load of old mess and wasn't much entertained by it, also not funny at all.

zomgmouse

Melancholia. Really liked it - a bit arduous to watch, in a good way. The ending definitely struck me and I thought the portrayal of depression was very thorough and her finding peace towards the end was an interesting narrative progression. I kind of admired the choice to have such a densely-populated first half and then an utterly sparse second half. Kind of felt the Gainsbourg sister didn't get as much of an in-depth treatment but oh well. Some splendid acting and sets and all that.

Sebastian Cobb

Heard good things about that zomg.

I'm off to watch Look Back in Anger.

I also liked Melancholia, but it did actually make me depressed, mainly because of how von Trier captures the feeling of remoteness from others all too well

It's one of those films where everything that people don't like about it is completely intentional. It's sort of mining a feeling of emptiness

zomgmouse

Yeah the person I saw it with did not like it because it presented such a dark view of the world.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 27, 2018, 02:40:09 PM
Heard good things about that zomg.
It might be one of his more universally-liked films from memory.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 27, 2018, 02:40:09 PM

I'm off to watch Look Back in Anger.

It's good, quite kitchen-sinky in places but with melodramatic play performances, like ken loach went mad and cast some shakesperian actors by mistake

Shit Good Nose

Cell, the Stephen King one with John Cusack, continuing his endless run of terrible films.  Absolute dogshit, although the last shot of a zombie Cusack is up/down there with Nicolas Cage in a bee head basket.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on May 28, 2018, 08:34:49 PM
Cell, the Stephen King one with John Cusack, continuing his endless run of terrible films.  Absolute dogshit, although the last shot of a zombie Cusack is up/down there with Nicolas Cage in a bee head basket.

I watched the first half of mist as it was on mubi the other day, seeing as it's relevant. Dunno if I can be arsed with the rest of it.

bgmnts

Its not the only Stephen King film with John Cusack and Sam Jackson.

I remember 1408 being actually pretty decent.

Sebastian Cobb

The best Stephen King film is without a doubt Maximum Overdrive.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 28, 2018, 08:38:40 PM
I watched the first half of mist as it was on mubi the other day, seeing as it's relevant. Dunno if I can be arsed with the rest of it.

Darabont film or more recent TV series?  Not seen the latter, but I HATE the film.  Everyone else seems to love it, though.  First time me and Mrs Nose watched it I, in a MST style joking way, said "and the mist will clear and the army will be just around the corner".  We both looked at each other and laughed.

Quote from: bgmnts on May 28, 2018, 08:39:06 PM
I remember 1408 being actually pretty decent.

I saw it at the cinema but not since then and I remember literally nothing about it so, for all I know, it could be a masterpiece.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 28, 2018, 08:40:35 PM
The best Stephen King film is without a doubt Maximum Overdrive.

That end text aside, a film I have genuinely always loved and never quite understood the overwhelming hate for.

Steven

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on May 28, 2018, 08:44:30 PM
Darabont film or more recent TV series?  Not seen the latter, but I HATE the film.  Everyone else seems to love it, though.  First time me and Mrs Nose watched it I, in a MST style joking way, said "and the mist will clear and the army will be just around the corner".  We both looked at each other and laughed.

Yes, as soon as there were four of them in a car with a gun, I assumed it was going to be a consensual suicide ending, and then the mist would clear and the army would turn up. So the impact was a bit ruined by that, though it was a decent attempt at a Twilight Zone style bleak ending.

bgmnts

Wasn't King coked off his tits making Maximum Overdrive? I haven't yet seen it but I imagine I would love it if I did.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: bgmnts on May 28, 2018, 08:51:52 PM
Wasn't King coked off his tits making Maximum Overdrive? I haven't yet seen it but I imagine I would love it if I did.

Yes, and he can barely remember anything of the entire production.  All the more amazing that he seemed to be channeling Malick in a few shots. 

Here's the...intense trailer for it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygWMy-QQNbw

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: bgmnts on May 28, 2018, 08:51:52 PM
Aye, if you're going to watch it mate sure it's the cut with the steamroller scene.

bgmnts

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on May 28, 2018, 09:00:35 PM
Yes, and he can barely remember anything of the entire production.  All the more amazing that he seemed to be channeling Malick in a few shots. 

Here's the...intense trailer for it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygWMy-QQNbw

Proper Maradonna eyes there.

Looks good though!

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on May 28, 2018, 08:44:30 PM

I saw it at the cinema but not since then and I remember literally nothing about it so, for all I know, it could be a masterpiece.

That end text aside, a film I have genuinely always loved and never quite understood the overwhelming hate for.

Film. It didn't strike me as very good. Toby Jones was about the only thing keeping me going. The cgi looked pretty poor even by 10 year old standards.

Shit Good Nose

People fucking LOVE it, though.

I also really struggled with the first 25-odd minutes - looks and feels like a TV/straight-to-DVD film.

Yet the hate for Maximum Overdrive...

Sebastian Cobb

Never really got the hate, if it was directed by Donald Jackson or Alex Cox people would be falling over themselves to big it up.

zomgmouse

It's cause it's not very good. Or rather it's an interesting idea executed slightly off well. The menace of the machines and the siege and all that would be great if it didn't have the OTT atmosphere about it.

spamwangler

Quote from: phantom_power on May 26, 2018, 01:12:46 PM
The Visitor, a mental Omen-ish horror from 1979 with a far better cast than the plot deserves. Some interesting directorial flourishes but I am not sure how intentional they are, given the shoddiness of the rest of the film. How they got John Huston, Shelley Duvall, Glenn Ford and others in this is a wonder. I don't know how well known it is in cult cirlces

oh man that theme tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abIS5zZHIMs

St_Eddie

The Mist is a good film, you silly gubbins.  Myst is a bad game though.  Thus, I have spoketh.

Small Man Big Horse

It never ceases to amaze me just how many bad films John Cusack makes these days. I was a huge fan of his back in the eighties and nineties but something seemed to happen after he made Max and 95% of his work is now tedious nonsense.

Enrico Palazzo

I suspect yer guys like Cusack and Willis, who almost exclusively do pish now, are quite difficult to work with.

Shit Good Nose

Well, there's probably an element of just doing it for the money as well.  Cusack's always had that "three for them, one for me" working practice, acknowledging that making money is as important (sometimes more important) than making some sort of artistic statement.  It just so happens that quite a few of those "three for them" films, at least earlier in his career, were fairly decent with it.

Besides, Love and Mercy was alright.

zomgmouse

Au hasard Balthazar. Not my favourite Bresson, I'm not sure why but it didn't really resonate with me. I liked the donkey but the people seemed to be a bit out of reach as characters and the story felt strangely dense and abstruse.

Dex Sawash

Thought I had seen all of Besson's films, that one is pretty early though

zomgmouse

The Cameraman, Buster Keaton. Again I'd heard so much about this but it was just a bit subpar. Some inspired sequences (staircase especially) but really not enough to sustain a feature.

Quote from: Dex Sawash on May 29, 2018, 03:36:28 PM
Thought I had seen all of Besson's films, that one is pretty early though
Can't tell if this is a joke or a legitimate confusion of Besson and Bresson.