Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:53:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What Non-New Films Have You Seen? (2018 Edition)

Started by zomgmouse, January 07, 2018, 12:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

Quote from: spamwangler on May 28, 2018, 11:17:58 PM
oh man that theme tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abIS5zZHIMs

It is a great tune. So great they felt the need to use it 12 times in the film, even when the action was completely incongruous to the atmosphere of the music

zomgmouse

Quote from: bgmnts on June 01, 2018, 08:12:20 PM
Can someone recommend a good film that came out in the past 20 years? It has to be something I have on DVD though.

Can you post a link to your DVD collection and then I can choose for you

bgmnts

Quote from: zomgmouse on June 02, 2018, 12:25:17 AM
Can you post a link to your DVD collection and then I can choose for you

I went for Big Trouble in Little China and Robo Geisha.

zomgmouse

The former is definitely more than 20 years old. In fact it's 32 years old. Really really good, mind.

bgmnts

Quote from: zomgmouse on June 02, 2018, 12:32:32 AM
The former is definitely more than 20 years old. In fact it's 32 years old. Really really good, mind.

Yeah none of the films that fit the criteria grabbed me so went for a mega classic.

zomgmouse

Watched a couple more Abel Ferrara films:

The Gladiator, a TV movie about a vigilante who pulls over drunk drivers after a maniac causes a car accident resulting in the death of his brother. It's not that great.

China Girl, his modern-day retelling of Romeo and Juliet in New York with the two "factions" being the Italian and Chinese communities. It's actually rather good! The teens act a bit teeny but for the most part it's fairly gritty and stylistically interesting.

St_Eddie

Quote from: zomgmouse on June 02, 2018, 11:44:02 PM
The Gladiator, a TV movie about a vigilante who pulls over drunk drivers after a maniac causes a car accident resulting in the death of his brother. It's not that great.

Not the highlight of Ridley Scott's career, it must be said.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 28, 2018, 09:20:01 PM
Never really got the hate, if it was directed by Donald Jackson or Alex Cox people would be falling over themselves to big it up.
Wait, what? The Donald Jackson who made "The Roller Blade Seven"? I don't think I've heard anyone big up a movie he made, ever.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on June 03, 2018, 11:16:59 AM
Wait, what? The Donald Jackson who made "The Roller Blade Seven"? I don't think I've heard anyone big up a movie he made, ever.

Hell Comes to Frogtown.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 03, 2018, 11:19:50 AM
Hell Comes to Frogtown.
The worst Rowdy Roddy Piper movie ever*. Although I admit I was annoyed about it from the beginning - wouldn't it make a lot more sense, if you find a one-in-several-million fertile man, that you'd keep him under lock and key and send the women to him, rather than sending him out into the super-dangerous wilderness with minimal protection? Oh, and the way all the army vehicles are pink in the future, because women run everything. Hahahahahaha

Although, you're right because clearly, some people like that movie.

*okay, "Pro Wrestlers vs. Zombies" is probably worse.

Sebastian Cobb

It's still better than most of Andy Sidaris' output and people like that.

New Jack

Watched Army of Darkness, spotted a load of lines Duke Nukem nicked, was generally highly entertained, and shuddered in horror when I realised I'd pilfered the theatrical cut, with the Executive Meddling ending.

YouTube sorted me out with that sweet, neat bleakness

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: New Jack on June 03, 2018, 02:31:56 PM
Watched Army of Darkness, spotted a load of lines Duke Nukem nicked, was generally highly entertained, and shuddered in horror when I realised I'd pilfered the theatrical cut, with the Executive Meddling ending.
A lot of Duke Nukem's lines are nicked from Evil Dead/Army of Darkness and other assorted films.

spamwangler

Quote from: phantom_power on June 01, 2018, 10:25:31 PM
It is a great tune. So great they felt the need to use it 12 times in the film, even when the action was completely incongruous to the atmosphere of the music
i think if i ever met a film, id probably have a montage of people walking into rooms and forgetting why they had gone in there, with this theme playing over

Sebastian Cobb

Duke Nukem also nicked the 'chew bubblegum and kick ass' from They Live, but they reversed it to make it flow better.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 03, 2018, 11:35:12 AM
It's still better than most of Andy Sidaris' output and people like that.
That pro wrestling documentary aside, I would rather watch the worst Andy Sidaris movie than the best Donald Jackson one (although I'm not sure why you brought Sidaris up, wasn't the discussion about "Maximum Overdrive", then Roddy Piper movies, two things entirely unrelated to everyone's favourite Hawaii-based boobmeister?)

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on June 03, 2018, 10:01:16 PM
That pro wrestling documentary aside, I would rather watch the worst Andy Sidaris movie than the best Donald Jackson one (although I'm not sure why you brought Sidaris up, wasn't the discussion about "Maximum Overdrive", then Roddy Piper movies, two things entirely unrelated to everyone's favourite Hawaii-based boobmeister?)

I'd lump them together just because anyone who sort of knows about one will know about the other as they're all part of a similar cult thing despite being thematically different.

Steven

Unsane

Not finished it yet but interesting, worth a watch.

Sebastian Cobb

Watched Abigails Party, good innit.

Flew a bit close to home re: parents dinner parties.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 04, 2018, 09:57:51 AM
Watched Abigails Party, good innit.

Flew a bit close to home re: parents dinner parties.

Luv a bit o Demis Roooussos

Famous Mortimer

My mum had the VHS tapes of that and "Nuts In May" and I watched them loads in my younger day. They are both brilliant.

Sebastian Cobb

I didn't even realise Steadman also played Candice-Marie until it was mentioned in some 5 minute homage after the credits.

Loved seeing Roy Galloway being all grumpy and monosyllabic.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 04, 2018, 02:02:21 PM
I didn't even realise Steadman also played Candice-Marie until it was mentioned in some 5 minute homage after the credits.

Oh she's a stupendously versatile performer. Top form.

sevendaughters

Hors satan. Bruno Dumont film set in the rural marshes around Boulogne-sur-mer. A drifter appears to have healing powers and offs a couple of people who need to be offed. Alongside the reality/fable mixture, there's a strange meshing of animistic beliefs, classic judeo-christian dogma, and some Freudian weirdness (that I think certain feminists will hate) underpinning this. I think I liked it. Gonna watch some more Dumont. Heard P'tit Quinquin is great.

itsfredtitmus

So typical Trier bollocks?
I have that on dvd but haven't seen it yet kind of looks like Hellfjord

sevendaughters

it's not too Trier. it's worth a watch, he has a style of his own.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on June 04, 2018, 01:22:44 PM
My mum had the VHS tapes of that and "Nuts In May" and I watched them loads in my younger day. They are both brilliant.

I only watched Abigail's Party for the first time, around 6 years ago but Nuts in May was a staple of my childhood too.  That and Season's Greetings.

Famous Mortimer

For no good reason, I've been watching all the movies of David A Prior, who did the mildly famous "Deadly Prey", the slightly less famous "Killer Workout", "Future Zone", with David Carradine (about the guy with the magic laser-shooting glove he hardly ever uses despite it being really really useful) which MST3K featured; then a whole heap of things you'll hopefully never have heard of.

I can't tell if my opinion of his work being this dark meditation on his own wartime experiences (he was in Vietnam, I think) is actually a legitimate criticism or just me desperately trying to find something worthwhile as I plough through 30+ movies which are often very very similar. There's torture, done in corrugated sheds; an Army command outpost in a series of tents; flashbacks; and very badly shot gunfights where each side stands stock still. Each of these things has been in at least half the 15 of his gems I've seen so far.

He even did a documentary about his own movies, called "That's Action", hosted by Robert Culp, which is available on Youtube. I'm still two movies away from it though :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e2lYbJU6xo