Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:01:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What Non-New Films Have You Seen? (2018 Edition)

Started by zomgmouse, January 07, 2018, 12:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on June 04, 2018, 09:27:31 PM
Embarrassing cinephile admission

Sounds a bit like when I started wading through most of Ray Dennis Steckler's films (at least those I could track down in this country) in the late 80s after he was featured on and episode of The Incredibly Strange Film Show.  Around the same time I was trying to watch every Charles Bronson film.  Including all the Family of Cops films.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 04, 2018, 09:40:19 PM
Sounds a bit like when I started wading through most of Ray Dennis Steckler's films (at least those I could track down in this country) in the late 80s after he was featured on and episode of The Incredibly Strange Film Show.  Around the same time I was trying to watch every Charles Bronson film.  Including all the Family of Cops films.
"The Hollywood Strangler Meets The Skid Row Slasher" is legitimately one of the grimiest, ugliest movies I've ever seen, and is therefore well worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXrmiuFC3No

(if you can find it, Joe Bob Briggs also did a commentary for it on one of his TV series).

SteveDave

Big Bad Wolves as recommended by someone on here. Lovely stuff. I can see why Justin Quarantino liked it so much. It was very much in his wheelhouse. Dark topic with humour throughout. My favourite being "No, that's the cop and that's the paedophile" "Huh...he looks more like a paedophile than him!"

It's probably because we watched it in three chunks (due to the child) that the ending didn't seem as gut punching as it could've been.

I await the American remake starring Steve Carrell with baited breath.

Shit Good Nose

The Greasy Strangler - blatant Napoleon Dynamite rip-off, but with added extras of course.  And, also like Napoleon Dynamite, barely whelming.

Z - not quite as good as I remembered it being (having not seen it since the early/mid 90s).  The tone is a little bit uneven for one.  Soundtrack is dodge for another.  Still a good (and important) film, but Missing, Special Section, State of Siegeand The Confession are all much better in my opinion.

The Mattei Affair - Alex Cox's favourite film.  Wow, amazing stuff.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 05, 2018, 09:00:19 AM
The Greasy Strangler - blatant Napoleon Dynamite rip-off, but with added extras of course.  And, also like Napoleon Dynamite, barely whelming.

I enjoyed The Greasy Strangler.  However, I regret watching it, purely because of the scene where the titular character kills the pig nosed man and puts his finger into his missing nose crevice, swirls it around and lifts his finger to his mouth, with blood and mucus upon the end of it and gives it a taste.  That scene keeps on intruding on my thoughts, seemingly without prompt nor reason and it makes me feel physically sick.  Just typing this post is making me feel queasy in fact.  That's not an exaggeration.  I'm literally gagging as I type this sentence.  Fuck's sake.

zomgmouse

Over the course of last night and this morning I watched the entire Three Colours trilogy. I had no real idea of what I was in for but I was immensely bowled over. There's a lot to take in. Quite an incredible cinematic achievement.

I also watched Night of the Creeps tonight which was a lot of fun.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: zomgmouse on June 05, 2018, 02:33:45 PM
Over the course of last night and this morning I watched the entire Three Colours trilogy. I had no real idea of what I was in for but I was immensely bowled over. There's a lot to take in. Quite an incredible cinematic achievement.

Have you seen Dekalog?  If not, do so - it makes the Three Colours trilogy seem decidedly mediocre.  Which is more a comment about how incredibly good Dekalog is...

zomgmouse

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 05, 2018, 02:42:34 PM
Have you seen Dekalog?  If not, do so - it makes the Three Colours trilogy seem decidedly mediocre.  Which is more a comment about how incredibly good Dekalog is...

Negatory. Not yet. Up till now I've sort of always been intimidated by even the mention of Kieslowski, like he'd made all these films and was prolific and renowned and every arthouse cinema-lover had to know them. But then I watched these and am now very sold. Dekalog and whatever else he's made will definitely now make its way directly to my list of things to watch.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: zomgmouse on June 05, 2018, 02:45:41 PM
Negatory. Not yet. Up till now I've sort of always been intimidated by even the mention of Kieslowski, like he'd made all these films and was prolific and renowned and every arthouse cinema-lover had to know them. But then I watched these and am now very sold. Dekalog and whatever else he's made will definitely now make its way directly to my list of things to watch.

Dekalog and the extended episodes he turned into stand-alone theatrical films (A Short Film About Love, and A Short Film About Killing) should be your next KK stops.  And then after that just pick whatever at random.  You can't really go wrong.  He did a shit-load of documentaries about a variety of subjects with are worth tracking down as well.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 05, 2018, 02:51:15 PM
Dekalog and the extended episodes he turned into stand-alone theatrical films (A Short Film About Love, and A Short Film About Killing) should be your next KK stops.  And then after that just pick whatever at random.  You can't really go wrong.  He did a shit-load of documentaries about a variety of subjects with are worth tracking down as well.

Noted. Thank you. Someone told me to watch The Double Life of Véronique as well but Dekalog seems like a decent next place to stop over.

Shit Good Nose

All of it is good.  I honestly can't think of one film he made which could be considered as poor.  Not as good as some of his others, probably, but certainly not poor.  Granted, I've not seen ALL of his docs, but I can't imagine there being a glaring drop in quality given that everything else is so good.

Blinder Data

Watched District 9 for the first time. Interesting that it predates the current refugee crisis. Good CGI, world-building and some fun action.

Otherwise, why did this get rave reviews? I didn't like the way it dropped the mockumentary format when it suited the story. A lot of the acting was rubs, it was chockful of clichéd moments, the characterisation was wafer-thin, and it seemed to abandon its interesting premise for your standard Hollywood action denouement. Plus for a film that supposedly explores racism its portrayal of Nigerians was, erm, iffy to say the least.

5/10

Steven

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 05, 2018, 10:10:47 AM
I enjoyed The Greasy Strangler.  However, I regret watching it, purely because of the scene where the titular character kills the pig nosed man and puts his finger into his missing nose crevice, swirls it around and lifts his finger to his mouth, with blood and mucus upon the end of it and gives it a taste.  That scene keeps on intruding on my thoughts, seemingly without prompt nor reason and it makes me feel physically sick.  Just typing this post is making me feel queasy in fact.  That's not an exaggeration.  I'm literally gagging as I type this sentence.  Fuck's sake.

The best thing about it was the sound, all the music stings and squelchy noises, bit like an episode of Trapdoor. The rest of it was all a bit Napoleon Dynamite/Tim & Eric derivative with a reliance on gross-out humour.

an actually GOOD weird and interesting Napoleon Dynamite type of film is Buzzard.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Steven on June 05, 2018, 05:52:32 PM
The best thing about it was the sound, all the music stings and squelchy noises...

I unashamedly adore the soundtrack of that film.

Quote from: Blinder Data on June 05, 2018, 05:29:19 PM
Watched District 9 for the first time. Interesting that it predates the current refugee crisis. Good CGI, world-building and some fun action.

Otherwise, why did this get rave reviews? I didn't like the way it dropped the mockumentary format when it suited the story. A lot of the acting was rubs, it was chockful of clichéd moments, the characterisation was wafer-thin, and it seemed to abandon its interesting premise for your standard Hollywood action denouement. Plus for a film that supposedly explores racism its portrayal of Nigerians was, erm, iffy to say the least.

5/10

I very much enjoyed the first 2/3rds of District 9, up until it devolved into a dumb action flick.  Everything that Neill Blomkamp has done since has been underwhelming, to say the least.  All of his subsequent movies have used the same themes and story structure.  He's a one trick pony.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 06, 2018, 07:54:27 AM
I very much enjoyed the first 2/3rds of District 9, up until it devolved into a dumb action flick.  Everything that Neill Blomkamp has done since has been underwhelming, to say the least.  All of his subsequent movies have used the same themes and story structure.  He's a one trick pony.

I think District 9 is the only decent films he's done, even the dumb action flick part.  Chappie is just a straight remake of Short Circuit and, moreso, Short Circuit 2 of course.

Bone Tomahawk - always nice to see Sid Haig.  Liked it a lot.  Different.  I love that it stuck with the slow and mannered style, tone and performances all the way through and didn't give in to an obvious shift to all-out action and typical horror film climax the last act might otherwise have dictated.  A very solid film.  Matthew Fox should stick to TV perhaps, though.  Also think David Arquette should've got a bit more screen time.

Anomalisa - meh.  Comparisons to Lost In Translation are apt (although Anomalisa is a lot better than that) and, by the end of it, I did have a feeling of "but what is point?"  And I saw that "twist" coming the minute Lisa turned up.  Glad I've seen it, but doubt I'll ever watch it again.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 06, 2018, 08:06:02 AM
I think District 9 is the only decent films he's done, even the dumb action flick part.  Chappie is just a straight remake of Short Circuit and, moreso, Short Circuit 2 of course.

Chappie wishes that it was Short Circuit 2.

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 06, 2018, 08:06:02 AMBone Tomahawk - always nice to see Sid Haig.  Liked it a lot.  Different.  I love that it stuck with the slow and mannered style, tone and performances all the way through and didn't give in to an obvious shift to all-out action and typical horror film climax the last act might otherwise have dictated.  A very solid film.  Matthew Fox should stick to TV perhaps, though.  Also think David Arquette should've got a bit more screen time.

I was quietly impressed by Bone Tomahawk.  It's due a rewatch, I reckon.

Shit Good Nose

Yeah, it's from a similar school of authentic feeling modern revisionist western film making as Open Range and The Proposition.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 06, 2018, 08:49:46 AM
Yeah, it's from a similar school of authentic feeling modern revisionist western film making as Open Range and The Proposition.

I've not seen those two films.

*adds them to the ever expanding 'to watch' list*

Stop making me watch things which I'm liable to enjoy, dammit!

Shit Good Nose

Custard

Glad you enjoyed Big Bad Wolves, SteveDave! One of the best films I've seen recently, for sure

St_Eddie

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 06, 2018, 09:20:09 AM
Oh, okay.

They're both shit.

Phew!  Taking them off my list.

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 06, 2018, 09:20:45 AM
(they're not)

Oh, fuck.  Now I'm adding them back onto my list.

Dex Sawash

What happend to the "Blomkamp to make next film in X1 series" thing?

1. Where X may or may not =Steel Magnolias

Big Mclargehuge

Watched the first half of "Candyman" last night...s'alright so far...could maybe be a bit less reliant on the jumpscares I was kind of expecting more of a extreme psychological horror like Hellraiser 2...but it just seems so far to be a bit creepypasta...I should have VHS copies of Robocop and Return of the living dead arriving in the next couple of days so im looking forward to cracking those out! :D

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Big Mclargehuge on June 06, 2018, 11:39:41 AM
Watched the first half of "Candyman" last night...s'alright so far...could maybe be a bit less reliant on the jumpscares I was kind of expecting more of a extreme psychological horror like Hellraiser 2...but it just seems so far to be a bit creepypasta...I should have VHS copies of Robocop and Return of the living dead arriving in the next couple of days so im looking forward to cracking those out! :D
I get upset when people don't like "Candyman". I think it's amazing, top (small number) of all time for me. There's just something about it.

Quote from: zomgmouse on June 05, 2018, 02:33:45 PM
Julie Delpy on that red bedsheet in "White" will be the last ever image that wanders through my brain (I hope, maybe I'll be thinking about a cheese sandwich when I get shot, or something).

zomgmouse

Kazan's Wild River. Thought it was pretty good at the beginning but then got even better. Some quite emotional swaying towards the end. Montgomery Clift was reliably quality and Lee Remick also very good. Jo Van Fleet also remarkable as usual. A stifling and heady atmosphere.

Too Late Blues by John Cassavetes

Fantastic. Lost souls, jazz, cigarettes, empty bars, blown chances. Brilliantly involving performances all round. Bobby Darin actually very impressive as a typically bruised Cassavetes lead character. Feels a tad setbound, could have done with more of a feeling of the outside. Not perfect, but great all the same. Heard that it was one of his minor films, but it's actually a gem. 

zomgmouse

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on June 07, 2018, 12:38:52 AM
Too Late Blues by John Cassavetes

Fantastic. Lost souls, jazz, cigarettes, empty bars, blown chances. Brilliantly involving performances all round. Bobby Darin actually very impressive as a typically bruised Cassavetes lead character. Feels a tad setbound, could have done with more of a feeling of the outside. Not perfect, but great all the same. Heard that it was one of his minor films, but it's actually a gem.

Where did you find this? Been after it for a bit.