Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:05:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What Non-New Films Have You Seen? (2018 Edition)

Started by zomgmouse, January 07, 2018, 12:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: zomgmouse on June 07, 2018, 12:50:20 AM
Where did you find this? Been after it for a bit.

I've got the Region 1 DVD from Olive Films. Just got it through an Amazon seller (years ago, mind. I have literally hundreds of DVDs that I've bought over the years that I'm only just working through).

zomgmouse

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on June 07, 2018, 12:55:24 AM
I've got the Region 1 DVD from Olive Films. Just got it through an Amazon seller (years ago, mind. I have literally hundreds of DVDs that I've bought over the years that I'm only just working through).

Ah darn. Haven't found an online copy anywhere. Don't suppose you know how to extract items from discs do you?

Sorry, but that's outside the (admittedly narrow) bounds of my technical competency

zomgmouse

Pathetic.

Jk I'll just have to come get it from you physically. Where do you live?

zomgmouse

zomgmouse

Seriously though I'm not sure where you live and I might be coming to where you live during my travels so please tell me where you live

St_Eddie

Quote from: Big Mclargehuge on June 06, 2018, 11:39:41 AM
Watched the first half of "Candyman" last night...s'alright so far...could maybe be a bit less reliant on the jumpscares I was kind of expecting more of a extreme psychological horror like Hellraiser 2...but it just seems so far to be a bit creepypasta...I should have VHS copies of Robocop and Return of the living dead arriving in the next couple of days so im looking forward to cracking those out! :D

Aw, I love Candyman.  It's a great film, says I.

Big Mclargehuge

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on June 06, 2018, 01:31:34 PM
I get upset when people don't like "Candyman". I think it's amazing, top (small number) of all time for me. There's just something about it.

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 07, 2018, 05:15:17 AM
Aw, I love Candyman.  It's a great film, says I.

I watched the 2nd half last night and I really have to agree with you two, it's a genuinely quite well made little horror movie. Though I would say the ending was a little bit more rushed than I would have liked...I had to wikipedia exactly how what happened at the end happened (It maybe would have been nice to have a touch more clarity) but yeh a genuinely shocking and enjoyable movie :)

St_Eddie

Quote from: Big Mclargehuge on June 07, 2018, 08:36:57 AM
I watched the 2nd half last night and I really have to agree with you two, it's a genuinely quite well made little horror movie...

I'm glad that you saw sense in the end.

Sebastian Cobb

Saw candyman a year or so ago. Got stoned as fuck and didn't realise there was going to be a directors Q&A beforehand. Got a right sense of relief when the lights finally dimmed.

Big Mclargehuge

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 07, 2018, 08:39:16 AM
I'm glad that you saw sense in the end.

Have you seen the sequels? Im genuinely curious as to whether they're worth bothering with...the film kind of works really well as just a one off movie...but I know theres another 2 films after this one...

St_Eddie

Quote from: Big Mclargehuge on June 07, 2018, 09:40:29 AM
Have you seen the sequels? Im genuinely curious as to whether they're worth bothering with...the film kind of works really well as just a one off movie...but I know theres another 2 films after this one...

I've seen the sequels but remember very little about them, other than that they weren't very good.  One of them was set in New Orleans and had Veronica Cartwright in it.  That's the extent of my memory of the sequels and as such, hardly a ringing endorsement.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Big Mclargehuge on June 07, 2018, 09:40:29 AMHave you seen the sequels? Im genuinely curious as to whether they're worth bothering with...the film kind of works really well as just a one off movie...but I know theres another 2 films after this one...

I wouldn't bother with the Candyman sequels, especially the third. If you're really curious maybe give the second a go, it's isn't actively terrible but definitely give the third a miss.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on June 07, 2018, 10:52:43 AM
If you're really curious maybe give the second a go, it's isn't actively terrible but definitely give the third a miss.

This, although I seem to remember there's a moment in 3 where the budget clearly runs out, just like in Wishmaster 2, so it might be worth watching 3 as well just for that giggle.

Custard

Slackers (2002) - Thought this pretty weak. The occasional funny bit, but most of it fell flat for me.

2 chicken slices

Shit Good Nose

Confessions of a Police Captain - no, not some undiscovered Robin Askwith masterpiece, but one of Damiano Damiani's 70s crime dramas.  Pretty good, although interestingly I was watching the Italian version with German credits.  Anyway, good stuff.  Martin Balsam's great in it.  Kid gets thrown off a cliff.  Marilu Tolo ends up in a concrete pile of a new building.

magval

Saw the Good, the Bad and the Ugly in Queens last night. Tuco's graveyard marathon on a big screen is fucking spiritually transformative. I was beaming all night having seen it at that scale. Still am. Absolutely perfect cinema, that is.

I accidentally made a fair few cinema patrons laugh loudly by mimicking one of the badly dubbed Mexicans laughing with my own genuine laughter and was simultaneously pissed off and tickled by the notion that everyone might have thought I was some kind of look-at-me cinema dickhead, and because I had been betrayed by my own sense of humour.

New Jack

An American Werewolf in London was on film 4 last night

Was engaging, I think the practical effects have held up well enough, and it tried to straddle comedy and horror but not too well. But it did give it a charm, it was an easy watch. Ending seemed kind of sudden, not because of the jump cut, but the doctor had spent the previous half hour plus figuring out the dude's a lycanthrope, yet has nothing to do with the ending other than show up with Jenny Agutter, plus they didn't return to the limbo souls, so their ending is kind of implied. Felt a bit unfinished for these reasons, but yeah, I enjoyed it.

Small Man Big Horse

The Heroic Trio (1993) - Mad Hong Kong superhero flick where an evil villain is kidnapping babies. It's cheap for sure but extremely cheerful, as our three heroines kick the crap out of various villainous types, and hey, one kills a baby but it was sort of an accident so we shouldn't hold that against her. 7.4/10

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: SteveDave on June 05, 2018, 08:50:19 AM
Big Bad Wolves as recommended by someone on here. Lovely stuff. I can see why Justin Quarantino liked it so much. It was very much in his wheelhouse. Dark topic with humour throughout. My favourite being "No, that's the cop and that's the paedophile" "Huh...he looks more like a paedophile than him!"

It's probably because we watched it in three chunks (due to the child) that the ending didn't seem as gut punching as it could've been.

I await the American remake starring Steve Carrell with baited breath.

I watched this tonight and thought it was pretty fucked up, like you say it's very funny in places but the ending left a nasty taste in my mouth. I was expecting more of a twist to be honest, and thought for a long time that it'd turn out it was the grieving father who'd killed the girls, but nonetheless it's pretty disturbing stuff. 7.6/10

New Jack

Quote from: magval on June 09, 2018, 07:46:41 AM
Saw the Good, the Bad and the Ugly in Queens last night. Tuco's graveyard marathon on a big screen is fucking spiritually transformative. I was beaming all night having seen it at that scale. Still am. Absolutely perfect cinema, that is.

This sounds ace. Makes me think of one of Stephen King's prefaces to the Dark Tower books where he's on about seeing Clint Eastwood on a big screen, and being awed by the sheer scale. You probably got that feeling!

Big Mclargehuge

This weekend I watched "The Last Unicorn" and "Return of the living dead"

The former was a somewhat fluffy if not nicely animated kiddy movie that was boosted a bit by having Christopher lee in it. The Latter was SO STUPID. I loved it. brilliantly surreal and wonderfully weird I really loved the puppetry and effects. plus that woman who looks like Aladdinsane era David Bowie who spends most of the movie in the nip was a nice touch.

SteveDave

Cargo- Tim from The Office versus zombies in the Outback.

Steven

Quote from: Big Mclargehuge on June 11, 2018, 10:04:01 AM
This weekend I watched "The Last Unicorn"

I loved The Last Unicorn as a kid, great soundtrack by Jimmy Campbell and America. The only stinker is the terribly sang Now That I'm a Woman - just when you thought Mia Farrow couldn't get worse.

and of course:

Big Mclargehuge

Quote from: Steven on June 11, 2018, 03:12:39 PM

and of course:

OH GOD! TRAY ON HEAD *BANG!* TRAY...ON HEAD! *BANG!!!* TRAY...ON...HEA-*BANG!!!!*

... ... ...
Yeh Mias really not upto the singing side of things here...that being said the entire subplot where the unicorn becomes a woman and will "Change back when she needs to" seemed a bit "Iffy" to me personally...Soundtracks lovely though as is most of the animation

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: phantom_power on June 11, 2018, 04:34:25 PM
Any good?

My other half watched it on Saturday whilst I messed around online and occasionally looked up to see what was going on. So this tiny review isn't exactly fair, but I thought it was pretty boring and dull.

Shit Good Nose

Just finished watching the Indicator/Powerhouse blu of Charley Varrick.  Still my favourite Don Siegel film.  Absolutely brilliant stuff.  Sadly one that the (Ex poster)' of this world will probably want scrubbed from existence.

Also The Death of Stalin.  Pretty good.  Could do with 10-15mins shaved off.  Simon Russell Beale is brill in it.

And Bowfinger for the first time since the cinema.  Still holds up well.  It's buttah and chicky baby.