Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:17:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What Non-New Films Have You Seen? (2018 Edition)

Started by zomgmouse, January 07, 2018, 12:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Z

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 15, 2018, 03:48:40 PM
4K restoration of Fat City.  It might just be John Huston's best film amongst many great films.
It really is so good, maybe Conrad L Hall's best shot film too. Remember being borderline bewildered when i saw it that it wasn't constantly mentioned as being among his best or among the best boxing/sports films.

Seems to be getting a lot of love the last few years though thankfully. Might even get to see it in a cinema myself some day. I think I'd stubbornly hold out for 35mm though, that film on an aged as fuck 35mm reel would be hella sweet

Shaky

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on June 13, 2018, 10:54:12 PM
Yeah, the huge-mouthed girl vampire featured on the cover is actually the original face designed for the Library Ghost from the beginning of Ghostbusters, which was rejected for being too scary.

No, Dandrige's final form was the unused GB puppet.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Shaky on June 17, 2018, 10:58:29 AM

Huh.  I just checked and you're absolutely correct.  Weird.  Like Avril Lavigne, I had it in my head that it was the other one.  Who knew?!  Well, you did, I suppose but I was being rhetorical.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Shaky on June 17, 2018, 10:58:29 AM

Source?

Edit: Okay I just did some research and I see that you're right! It's weird that they don't explain that specifically in the Ghostbusters Ultimate Visual History book and just vaguely refer to the design being reused in Fright Night. I assumed it was the girl's face because that's by far the scariest visual in the movie, I think.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on June 17, 2018, 09:53:33 PM
Source?

Edit: Okay I just did some research and I see that you're right! It's weird that they don't explain that specifically in the Ghostbusters Ultimate Visual History book and just vaguely refer to the design being reused in Fright Night. I assumed it was the girl's face because that's by far the scariest visual in the movie, I think.

I haven't read that book and I can't recall where I initially heard the relevant factoid but a similar assumption must have happened with myself, in terms of getting mixed up about which creature was originally planned for Ghostbusters, as I agree that the toothy grinning girl is the scariest visual in the movie (with the Evil Ed wolf creature coming in a distant second place).

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Z on June 15, 2018, 11:43:35 PM
Remember being borderline bewildered when i saw it that it wasn't constantly mentioned as being among his best or among the best boxing/sports films.

Probably because Huston basically raped Susan Tyrell several times during the making of it. 

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: St_Eddie on June 17, 2018, 10:39:36 PM
I haven't read that book and I can't recall where I initially heard the relevant factoid but a similar assumption must have happened with myself, in terms of getting mixed up about which creature was originally planned for Ghostbusters, as I agree that the toothy grinning girl is the scariest visual in the movie (with the Evil Ed wolf creature coming in a distant second place).

The Ultimate Visual History books are great, each one focuses on a specific film/franchise and collects an exhaustive amount of information and pictures but they also include a bunch of pull-out souvenirs.  For example the Ghostbusters one has removable recreations of various original design documents & script notes from pre-production and even an animation cel from the cartoon, and the Back To The Future book has things like a receipt from the Cafe '80s and a lenticular scale-accurate version of the photo of Marty and his brother and sister, which makes Marty disappear if you turn it left or right. They're generally around £20 but well worth the money if you're interested in that kind of thing.

Shaky

I'm no expert on Fright Night but I just recall reading about the puppet several times over the years and there are pics online etc. The vampire chick would've been far too much for a PG film, I think. It still shits me up a fair bit!

St_Eddie

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on June 17, 2018, 10:58:59 PM
The Ultimate Visual History books are great, each one focuses on a specific film/franchise and collects an exhaustive amount of information and pictures but they also include a bunch of pull-out souvenirs.  For example the Ghostbusters one has removable recreations of various original design documents & script notes from pre-production and even an animation cel from the cartoon, and the Back To The Future book has things like a receipt from the Cafe '80s and a lenticular scale-accurate version of the photo of Marty and his brother and sister, which makes Marty disappear if you turn it left or right. They're generally around £20 but well worth the money if you're interested in that kind of thing.

Those books sound great.  I'll check them out to be sure.  I've got a similar book for the first Alien film, titled Alien Vault.  It's clearly been produced with real passion for the film.   Like the Ultimate Visual History books, it also comes with a bunch of nifty pull-out souvenirs (including a screen accurate sew-on Nostromo patch).

Z

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 17, 2018, 10:52:53 PM
Probably because Huston basically raped Susan Tyrell several times during the making of it.
That'd be a reason why it would receive a backlash now.

My Name is Joe
Peter Mullan is very good when he's given a half decent project to work with.

SteveDave

The Ghoul I can't tell if it thought it was cleverer than it was or I'm just thick.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Z on June 18, 2018, 09:08:32 PM
That'd be a reason why it would receive a backlash now.

My Name is Joe
Peter Mullan is very good when he's given a half decent project to work with.

He plays a good troubled mess very well; this and Tyrannosaur are both excellent.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: SteveDave on June 19, 2018, 09:44:31 AM
The Ghoul I can't tell if it thought it was cleverer than it was or I'm just thick.

I thought it was just thoroughly dull.  Fuck knows what Kim Newman sees in it.

SteveDave

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 19, 2018, 01:20:54 PM
I thought it was just thoroughly dull.  Fuck knows what Kim Newman sees in it.

I was hoping it was going to go somewhere weird but it seemed to run out of steam.

Shit Good Nose

The Violent Four (AKA Bandits In Milan) - wonderful little film with an amazing realistic bustling city car chase that predates The French Connection by three years.

High Crimes - a film I've wanted to see for years, and have owned for years, but somehow just never got around to it.  Hugely disappointed.  I normally like Franco Nero, even when he's dialled it up a little bit, but he's just embarrassing to watch in this.  One of the few nihilistic gritty thrillers from that era that really hasn't aged at all well.

A Pistol For Ringo and The Return of Ringo - Pistol is a lot lighter than I remembered it and surely an influence on the Terence Hill films and Sergio Corbucci's move into comedy in the early 70s.  Not really my cup of tea.  Return is much better and a total 180 - miserable.

The Last Jedi (second viewing) - abysmal.  Absolutely abysmal.  Even worse than on the big screen.

zomgmouse

I watched The Burmese Harp (1956) the other day. Hard not to be moved by it even though I'd read the book and knew the story. It's very strikingly and poignantly told and doesn't shy away from showing piles of dead bodies which always adds to it.

zomgmouse

Guys and Dolls. Somehow besides the Havana scene (especially the fight) and the sewer crap game this did not grab me at all. I found the leads (Brando and Sinatra) a bit droopy.

Shadows in Paradise. Typical Kaurismäki fare, which I do not say at all disparagingly. Really quite liked this but it didn't sparkle for me like some of his other films.

Shit Good Nose

Ghostbusters, the new one, second viewing.  I didn't mind it first time around, but then I was watching it with other people and it was broken up a little bit with chats in between, whereas last night I watched it all the way through just with Mrs Nose.  Pretty bad, actually.  And I REALLY don't get why you lot rate Kate McKinnon so highly.  "Oh, I'll just be a little bit odd and do some schtick like Will Ferrell".  Yeah, amazing.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: zomgmouse on June 24, 2018, 01:02:37 AM
Guys and Dolls. Somehow besides the Havana scene (especially the fight) and the sewer crap game this did not grab me at all. I found the leads (Brando and Sinatra) a bit droopy.

I saw that recently and whilst I liked it a bit more than you did I had a lot of issues with it as well, most of the songs are pretty bland and it's overlong and then some, and I'm surprised many rate it so highly.

zomgmouse

Some more Kaurismäki:

Drifting Clouds. This was terrific. The slow decline was so masterfully executed, and then the success of the restaurant at the end really moved me.

A rewatch of Leningrad Cowboys Go America. Moved up from a 9/10 wowser to a 10/10 definite fucking classic for me. Everything about it is just spot on. And so funny! But still retains that trademark Kaurismäki love of humanity with the shots in neighbourhoods and real people in the bars and so on.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 24, 2018, 10:16:25 AM
I saw that recently and whilst I liked it a bit more than you did I had a lot of issues with it as well, most of the songs are pretty bland and it's overlong and then some, and I'm surprised many rate it so highly.
I'm with you there. Quite uninspired. I did enjoy the opening scene though as well.

mothman

I saw Dunkirk over the weekend and was impressed. It's less of a movie, more an immersive experience. The varying time periods was clever, but while I was able to accept the Sea story took place over a day, I never felt like the Beach took a whole week, nor that Air was just an hour.

One thing that was glaring for me was pilot Collins closing his canopy before ditching. Everyone knows you open the canopy before you ditch. Granted closing it was part of his bottling out of bailing out, but still. Plus the Spitfires had a special tool in the cockpit to deal with such situations.

Apparently Tom Hardy's character Farrier was based on a real pilot who flew till he couldn't anymore, landed on the beach then managed to get on one of the last ships to leave (punching a Navy officer on the nose when he tried to stop him). And he survived the war too. But the the real-life analogue of Branagh's Commander Bolton, on the other hand, stayed to see everyone off before leaving... and was then killed when his ship was sunk.

zomgmouse

Some more Abel Ferrara:

Cat Chaser. Somehow they could get Abel Ferrara to director an Elmore Leonard adaptation starring Peter Weller, Charles Durning and Tomas Milian and make it not very good at all. I guess TV doesn't suit Ferrara at all.

King of New York. This was pretty great. A weird sort of lack of real plot but a grimy icky vibe throughout which stayed with me more than anything that actually happened. Walken is an unsettling menacing presence in this.

chveik

I love The King of New York too. Walken looks like Nosferatu in this. I suppose it's intentional.

Watched Subway by Luc Besson and it was good. I liked the song!

Famous Mortimer

I've made it through the two year period where David A Prior made 11 movies (quality flew out of the window, a bit) and am now in the second stage of his career, where he appears to have spent more money and got proper actors and stuff. "Raw Nerve" was the gem I watched last night, and rather than being confusing and cheap and no good whatsoever, it's just a bit average and boring. It's like a distillation of everything that was ever in a VHS rental shop under the label "thriller".

greenman

Went back to Bergman's Persona for the first time in probably 20 years, wish I'v done it sooner but I spose also a case of my taste catching up to it and the years since. If anything it actually feels more modern now with stuff like Mulholland Drive and Black Swan having come out since and the general popularity of intense closeup heavy dramas.

Still I confess not entirely sure what it was all about, the fracturing of a single person? something to do with the artifice of cinema/acting and the pressure towards motherhood? still very effective dramatically(and I sometimes have some trouble with even European new wave acting) even with that uncertainly and incredible visually, probably a good candidate for the most erotic scene ever filmed as well despite showing nothing.

Small Man Big Horse

Hancock (2008) - Fairly amusing fantasy antics where Will Smith's an arsehole superhero, until Jason Bateman sets him on the straight and narrow. At least until about half way through when it turns out that it's a weird relationship drama too, and both Smith and Jason Bateman's wife are immortals who have been around for thousands of years. Which I wasn't expecting. It's an odd mix, and there's not enough of Smith acting the twat, and the cgi flying sequences have aged badly, but it's a bemusing enough way to spend a couple of hours. 6.9/10

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 27, 2018, 07:32:28 PM
Hancock (2008) - Fairly amusing fantasy antics where Will Smith's an arsehole superhero, until Jason Bateman sets him on the straight and narrow. At least until about half way through when it turns out that it's a weird relationship drama too, and both Smith and Jason Bateman's wife are immortals who have been around for thousands of years. Which I wasn't expecting. It's an odd mix, and there's not enough of Smith acting the twat, and the cgi flying sequences have aged badly, but it's a bemusing enough way to spend a couple of hours. 6.9/10

The first half is quite good but it really turns to shit with the aforementioned wife stuff. it would've been better just to have a film about a washed-up, arsehole superhero.

Blumf

I remember at the time thinking it was like they'd squeezed two different films together. It's not a terrible film, but it is an interesting failure.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Blumf on June 28, 2018, 12:00:22 PM
I remember at the time thinking it was like they'd squeezed two different films together. It's not a terrible film, but it is an interesting failure.

I have a real fondness for movies which do such a thing, it doesn't quite work here but at least it was something a bit different.