Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:04:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What Non-New Films Have You Seen? (2018 Edition)

Started by zomgmouse, January 07, 2018, 12:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Junglist on July 09, 2018, 05:14:25 PM
Capricorn One - Enjoyable but damn it appears to have aged badly

You know my favourite bit of that film?  When Hal Holbrook gives them that talk.  I fucking LOVE that scene.  I have a lot of time for that film.  A lot of time.

Junglist

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on July 09, 2018, 05:18:03 PM
You know my favourite bit of that film?  When Hal Holbrook gives them that talk.  I fucking LOVE that scene.  I have a lot of time for that film.  A lot of time.

Yeah that was class, he just dominated the scene. The Elliott Gould car scene is delightfully 70s

Junglist

To my shame, and considering I see film as my main passion, I finally got around to watching The Godfather today. Its really not half bad is it.

phantom_power

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 09, 2018, 05:08:21 PM
The popular thought at the time was that Byrne had picked rather low-hanging fruit - "is there anything easier to parody than Lone Star crazies?" was a line from a review I'm no doubt remembering badly - but good on him for giving it a bash, I guess.

It didn't seem like a parody to me so much as an affectionate homage.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Junglist on July 09, 2018, 09:44:14 PM
To my shame, and considering I see film as my main passion, I finally got around to watching The Godfather today. Its really not half bad is it.

It's a great film.  Most people seem to prefer The Godfather: Part II, which is also great but lacks Marlon Brando and is therefore not as great as the first film, in my opinion.  The Godfather: Part III is gubbins though, which most people will attest to.

Z

I'm not that keen on Brando in the first one, one of the upsides of the second one is that it's free from dealing with him. Second one has loads more John Cazale too.

Haven't seen either since I was in school, mind.

Junglist

I found Brando, in those opening scenes, terrifying as a character. As it went on, and after that moment, he was basically irrelevant. All about Pacino and Caan, even if Caan's whiffed punch is hilarious.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Z on July 09, 2018, 10:12:08 PM
I'm not that keen on Brando in the first one...

Aw, Brando is fantastic in the The Godfather.

Proof.

More proof.

greenman

Pacino is more fantastic in Godfather 2 though I'd say.

St_Eddie

Quote from: greenman on July 09, 2018, 10:36:19 PM

He was making up for how hammy he is in The Godfather: Part III, in advance.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Junglist on July 09, 2018, 09:44:14 PM

I had my baptism last year and underwent the same revelation.

Small Man Big Horse

The Doom Generation (1995) - I'm a big fan of director Gregg Araki but this is a weak effort, with a lot of the script being really clunky and forced. It's the epitome of 90s indie filmmaking with overly stylised dialogue and a fair sprinkling of sex and violence, but whilst I liked the odd moment it's all too often a ridiculous affair that feels rather amateurish, and the ending is just shit. 5.4/10

Custard

White Palace (1990) - A young James Spader meets an older lady (an insanely gorgeous Susan Sarandon) and they begin an intense and difficult relationship.

I really like both Sarandon and Spader, and this was a really well written and directed love story. Good stuff. Dunno where Harold and Kumar were at, mind.

4 bangers

Neomod

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 02, 2018, 01:30:25 AM
Still at least I know where Troy Mclure's house is from.

Ah yes, Lautner's Chemosphere.

Gulftastic

Quote from: greenman on July 09, 2018, 10:36:19 PM

If you'd only ever seen Pacino in his later career, you'd have no idea how truly brilliant an actor he used to be. His transformation in the first Godfather film from young optimistic bloke to murderous mob boss is a wonder to behold.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: phantom_power on July 10, 2018, 11:02:21 AM
Turkey Shoot - Turkey Shite more like.
Which one? The Aussie one from the early 80s or the remake with Dominic Purcell? Cos...well, I've never seen the original one (which goes by the excellent alternate title "Blood Camp Thatcher") but the remake is absolute shite.

Custard

45 Years (2015) - An older, retired couple are getting ready to throw a party to celebrate 45 years of marriage, when suddenly some hidden things from the past come to light.

This is really quiet, understated, and slow, but I really found myself engrossed. The way the seemingly very happy marriage is gradually revealed to actually have some deep rooted issues, and the couple's reaction to them, I found fascinating.

It's a really well written film, and Charlotte Rampling and Tom Courtenay are fantastic in the lead roles. Well worth a watch, if you like this kind of thing

4 Chelsea buns

zomgmouse

Carefree. One of the lesser-known Astaire/Rogers films, still light enough with a decent farcical plotline though the musical numbers aren't as vivacious and there's not quite as much of their usual spark. Still fairly enjoyable.

Hellzapoppin'. SMBH will be glad to know I've finally watched this one. The beginning half-hour or so in particular was nuts. I loved it. Once it got into the plot-in-a-plot section there was still a whole lot of delightful anarchy but not quite as freewheeling as that beginning bit. Still a lot to love here. STINKY MILLER GO HOME.

phantom_power

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 10, 2018, 11:42:22 PM
Which one? The Aussie one from the early 80s or the remake with Dominic Purcell? Cos...well, I've never seen the original one (which goes by the excellent alternate title "Blood Camp Thatcher") but the remake is absolute shite.

The original. I was expecting an ultra-violent sleazy exploitation film but it didn't really deliver. I was being a bit harsh there for the pun as it wasn't actually shit just a bit disappointing. There are some good nasty, sadistic villains and grim deaths but it didn't really deliver on the gore front. Maybe I saw a censored version or maybe it just wasn't what I was expecting. It was nice to see a couple of faces from Mad Max in there as well

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: zomgmouse on July 11, 2018, 02:18:59 AM
Carefree. One of the lesser-known Astaire/Rogers films, still light enough with a decent farcical plotline though the musical numbers aren't as vivacious and there's not quite as much of their usual spark. Still fairly enjoyable.

Hellzapoppin'. SMBH will be glad to know I've finally watched this one. The beginning half-hour or so in particular was nuts. I loved it. Once it got into the plot-in-a-plot section there was still a whole lot of delightful anarchy but not quite as freewheeling as that beginning bit. Still a lot to love here. STINKY MILLER GO HOME.

I'm really glad to hear that you liked it so much, as otherwise it would have meant the end of our friendship as that's just how much I love the film!

Hundhoon

I really liked Heavenly Creatures (1994) the film that launched Kate Winslet and made Peter Jackson a big deal in Hollywood. only saw it the other day.
Visually stunning
Set in New Zealand post WW2 years.. posh English immigrant Kate Winslet becomes friends with working class Kiwi girl, form close bond, it ends with them becoming murders.

Its just what Jackson does when presenting New Zealand he always makes it look like a Narnia-esque dreamland. he has probably done more for tourism in that country than anyone, very likeable characters very unusual atmosphere.

Custard

Yeah, that's a really good film. Kate Winslet is sexy when she's being all evil and murderous.

Pity Jackson doesn't seem interested in making those kinds of films these days. Though he did make Lovely Bones about ten years ago, which I quite enjoyed

Shit Good Nose

The LOTR trilogy has REALLY lost its sheen for me in the wake of the abysmal Hobbit films, although the extended cut of The Two Towers is still great.  I was never much into his early bad taste (pun intended) stuff either, and I was totally non-plussed about The Lovely Bones (although the death at the end was almost worth the wait), so his best films for me are still The Frighteners and Forgotten Silver.

Also, what's going on with Mortal Engines?  When I saw a trailer for it at the cinema a little while ago it proclaimed "A Peter Jackson film" and "the new movie from Peter Jackson", yet I only recently clocked it's not actually directed by him but by his old mate Christian Rivers.  Is that cos Rivers isn't a name, or was Jackson originally directing before stepping away or something?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on July 12, 2018, 02:04:10 PMForgotten Silver.

Blimey, I'd never heard of that before now, and I used to be a big fan of Jackson's. Will watch it as soon as I can though, as it sounds really interesting.

zomgmouse

I've been wanting to see that for aaaages. It looks so cool.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: zomgmouse on July 13, 2018, 03:57:19 AM
I've been wanting to see that for aaaages. It looks so cool.

I obtained it yesterday via the pirate bay and plan to watch it over the weekend.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 12, 2018, 04:33:37 PM
Blimey, I'd never heard of that before now, and I used to be a big fan of Jackson's. Will watch it as soon as I can though, as it sounds really interesting.
Eh, it's alright. I remember being impressed Jackson had made something so niche and film-nerdy, while not hugely enjoying the finished product. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Shit Good Nose

I think it's brilliant.  Admittedly if stretched over full feature length it might outstay its welcome, but as a tight sub-hour it's perfect, especially with everyone playing it so straight.

Had a bit of a Peckinpah binge last night - Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, The Getaway and Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (1988 preview cut).  I DO like Alfredo Garcia, but for me it's always been the weaker of his classic films.  The other two are tops, though.  That hotel shoot-out in The Getaway is amazing.

mothman

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on July 09, 2018, 01:36:10 PM
Be nice if someone found the deleted footage one day.  It must be out there somewhere.

There's deleted footage from Event Horizon? Always going to remember that film because I saw it the night Diana died, and on the train up (we went to see it in Leics Sq) we were talking about what a shit time the Royal Family was having, and concluded that what they needed was a nice big royal funeral. The next morning...

Of all the early MCU films, I've never seen Thor or Captain America ("the First Avenger"). Being laid up, I watched the latter yesterday. A fairly decent origin story, but I was struck by how little actually happens; of course there's lots of good character work, how could there not be with Tucci, two Joneses and Weaving in the mix? But a twenty minutes added on in one of the other films could have covered it; I think it's also one of the lower-grossing movies? Given how much Rogers' and Barnes' friendship will come into play in later films, it's incredible how little time they have onscreen together. But I'm impressed that Red Skull's fate was so ambiguous (or even downright odd, it must have seemed at the time) and that it would eventually be revisited more than a dozen films later. And that they spent so much time and money on a world-building film knowing that most of that world would be immediately discarded. I never saw the Agent Carter series wo don't know how much of Captain America acts as a backdoor pilot for it.